I have an Austops roof and couldn’t be happier. I went for Austops because they are TUV tested and came with 5 Year warranty. I think they’re very similar to Reimo but not sure they offer 5 Year warranty?

I did want to get an SCA roof but they were nearly 1.5k more. SCA are the closest thing you will get to the genuine VW roof bed. I even seem to remember reading they make the genuine roof but are not allowed to use the patented roof hinge system for their aftermarket sales.

Another thing I was told is that you can upgrade your Austops / Reimo roof to an SCA further down the line if you ever wanted to as the space an SCA needs is slightly larger. Not that you would probably want to but just throwing the info out there.

Hi, I am looking to convert my T6 4motion LWB to a pop up roof, there appears to be lots of options out there but I am looking for recommendations of a conversion well done and can be recommended, and looking as close as possible on the outside to the VW California, what would you recommend please? Also are there any electric options please?

Thanking you in advance.

Best quality are Reimo and SCA, both German and very well engineered, neither are electric though and apart from an original VW Cali roof I don't think any are available as an electric option.

But both the German roofs look like upturned bath tubs stuck on your roof, I'm looking closely at a HiLo roof, decent quality and very discrete.

Others here will have real experience, I'm only regurgitating what I've read and don't have any actual experience, yet.

So I’m looking at converting my t6 long wheel base transporter and adding a new pop top roof bed .

What are people’s thoughts on the best after market roof to go for ?
Seems sca and reimo are the common options.

I’d like to add that we will want to put 2 kayaks on the roof at some point too.
Thanks

"Best" probably depends on what you are after. We wanted comfort, not ugly, able to take two kayaks. We have the SCA high-lift (really went for high lift as we are SWB and you lose space at the pointy end otherwise). Very happy on all three requirements. Sometimes wish we'd gone for the "panoramic" option, but we could do that later if it still bugs me.

My LWB T6 is at the converter now for a full conversion (started on Monday).
I really don't know if it the "best" or not, but we're having an Austop fitted, time will tell if that's a good decision ............................... or not.
Think the kayaks might influence your decision.

If you're putting kayaks on, you need to make sure you have a suitably load rated roof. We went Reimo, partly for this reason, and partly because that's what our converters use. Very pleased with it thus far.

Often overlooked and a fraction of the cost of a Reimo or SCA is a Drivelodge roof. Fitted a number of these, including to our hire vans where noobs don't really deploy with any mechanical empathy and they give us less problems than any others.

I like the stealth look of the hi-lo roof. Do you lose much height on the inside when it's down?

I transport motorbike in my van and the internal height is inportant.

You do - moreso at the back. Their website should say how much exactly (I haven’t got any snaps on my phone to show you as a comparison)

My T6 SWB is currently having a Skyline roof fitted, with roof bars, 60KG stated as max load capacity. My mid size kayak weighs 25kg so as previously stated probably best to check with roof manufacturer website.

Often overlooked and a fraction of the cost of a Reimo or SCA is a Drivelodge roof. Fitted a number of these, including to our hire vans where noobs don't really deploy with any mechanical empathy and they give us less problems than any others.
not heard of the Drivelodge roof before, just looked at website, do they have a push up bed on gas struts or just the board type, any idea on what they cost?

My LWB T6 is at the converter now for a full conversion (started on Monday).
I really don't know if it the "best" or not, but we're having an Austop fitted, time will tell if that's a good decision ............................... or not.
Think the kayaks might influence your decision.
Snap on the Austop roof booked in next month!

not heard of the Drivelodge roof before, just looked at website, do they have a push up bed on gas struts or just the board type, any idea on what they cost?

If it's a bare SWB van, typically the price is around £2400 inc VAT for a Drivelodge in gelcoat. £2500 for a LWB. Painting is usually £275. Any van that's already fitted out and therefore needs stripping out they quote individually, but budget for around an extra £1000 if it's a 'camper' lined and with furniture etc.

Yes they do a bi-fold bed (we make it for them) which gives you more headroom than most as it doesn't just hinge from the back it folds so that it follows the roof line very closely.

Pikkis attached of one in a LWB van.

20180419_113250.jpg 20180419_114041.jpg

Back