T6dder

Web/graphic designer
T6 Guru
I wouldn’t mind hearing people's preferred choice of Roofs and Beds.

I will probably be going for mine after Christmas so gonna start doing some research.

I have been advised SCA is one of the best and we'll built. I like the look of HiLo roofs but don't like the way they head clearance is compromised inside the van.

Opinions and suggestions please.

I've got the SCA and I'm glad I went for it. It feels really well made and solid when you're putting it up and down and it's got a clever design in the fabric that ensures it folds inwards so it doesn't trap the fabric as you pull it down. Finally, it's got what is generally regarded as the best/most comfy bed set up as it's the only one with proper wood slats under the mattress.

I really wanted the HiLo as it would have gone a long way to solving the height issues I have as I need to get my van in my garage..... But....... (And this is just my opinion and what I got advised, as I know some people have Hilo fitted and are happy)..... I don't like the securing bolts that stick down inside the van in each corner (if you don't know about these, search for some photos/YouTube vids, most photos don't show them!). Particularly the one at the back drivers side that ends up inside the wardrobe on a converted van and looks a pita to get to. The deal breaker for me was when I asked my conversion guy about fitting one he refused and said he didn't think they had enough experience/history of striping feedback yet so wasn't prepared to take the risk..... He offered me my deposit back if I wanted to go elsewhere and get it fitted!!!
Hope that helps, not trying to scare monger, just passing on my experience. To balance my views: There are lots of negative views on other forums but most is from early versions which they seem to have sorted; I think it looks great form the outside!!

My local Van Conversion company said the same about the security bolts on the HiLo roofs. They decided to become authorised fitters after going on a training course as they felt the bolts were dangerous.

Anyone had experience with Skyline Roofs? They are local to me and read a few good things about them. Not sure what the Pro's and Cons and with them over SCA Roofs.

Thanks @Pauly - @Mugwump how are you finding your Skyline roof? Can I ask what made you chose Skyline over other brands? Just looking at my options at present, but live in WsM so obviously Skyline sound intriguing.

Anyone had experience with Skyline Roofs? They are local to me and read a few good things about them. Not sure what the Pro's and Cons and with them over SCA Roofs.
They're supposed to be pretty good by all accounts.
My local converter uses them, they were going to convert my T5.1 until I changed my mind. Bit cheaper than SCA I think but still good quality.

Thanks @Pauly - @Mugwump how are you finding your Skyline roof? Can I ask what made you chose Skyline over other brands? Just looking at my options at present, but live in WsM so obviously Skyline sound intriguing.

Hi sorry not been on here for a while busy with conversion lol
Skyline roof is basically a Reimo " adjusted" lol. I had it fitted plus 140 amp solar panel and bed and 6 LEDS a tad over £4K colour matched. oh and roof rails still comes in at 2.2m high.
No bolts showing I liked the HiLo but it worked out £1200 more for the privilege as getting it in a garage which won't ever happen!
The guys are helpful if a little scatty! But very happy with roof.
What the website says the prices are is what you pay I was told that they have just had it crash tested as well.
It all closes up easy enough, our last VW had a high top so no other experience of them HTH

I would mind hearing people's preferred choice of Roof Beds.

I will probably be going for mine after Christmas so gonna start doing some research.

I have been advised SCA is one of the best and we'll built. I like the look of HiLo roofs but don't like the way they head clearance is compromised inside the van.

Opinions and suggestions please.
Hi Chaps,
literally just signed up from the other forum and just had to offer my thoughts as i have recently had a Hilo fitted. This is actually my 2nd Hilo roof - i have one fitted on my T5 Highline LWB and as i say i have just had one fitted on my T6 Highline swb. I think it was the low profile look that pursuaded me to have Hilo and it really comes in handy on carparks etc with low barriers.
They all have Pro`s & Cons. These are my thoughts-
+Low profile roof keeps the sleek look without having the bath tub on top.
+The latest roofs are built with thicker fabric and they have 3 windows 1 fixed and 2 sides which fully unzip with insect screens, a zip cover screens.
+ You can have the scenic option where the whole front zips off - not for me though.
+ Plenty of space inside when standing in the van or when in bed mode. My son is 5`9" and he had plenty of room. But you do need a decent matrass.
+ I think the 4 securing knobs arent too bad. They do a good job of securing everything tight without and ratchet straps swinging about. To be honest you dont really
notice them that much and i designed my wardrobe so that the knob was accessible from the back doors.
+ The smug feeling you get when you arrive on site, pitch up with everybody secretely watching and then release this enormous pop top. Likewise when you pack
away.
+ There are more fitters training to fit them, so you dont have to rely soley on HiLo up north to fit em.
- Limited headroom inside camper when closed, especially if you fit a RiB seat. I have just ordered a Titan seat and this comes 70mm lower than a Rib so happy days
- They are rather expensive and to be honest the overall finish should be better by the manufacturer - not fitters.
- It has hydraulic pivots like the rest but there is still a bit of head balancing/push up required. Not sure how the other roofs work.
- If you have to change your windscreen you will have to refit the rubber gasket that sits infront of the front roof edge. But, how many times will this happen and it
looks better than the chunky deflector on the SCA and Reimo`s.

Would i have another one? Yes but i havent tried the others.
cheers

Had a Reimo fitted to a T5 for 9 years - only problem i had was the canvas getting caught in the scissor link and tearing.

Just had a HiLo Roof fitted to a T6 LWB, Great design, looks amazing a feels solid with a great hinge and tough fabric. I also opted for the chromed hinge and zipout fabric.

Finding a mattress that will fit will be a little awkward. Currently looking of r a decent double thermarest.

Any Design quality issues with the roof top can be sorted by a good fitter.

I had a skyline fitted and I'm very pleased with it.IMG_20160714_171656.jpg
It's got a solar panel, roof rails and bars fitted too.
It lifts up quicker than an automatic Cali roof too. Maybe a little slower coming down ;-)

We have looked in great detail at all the poptops available on the market both before they are fitted and once on the van. We have placed our eggs in the SCA basket and become an approved fitter. I am currently waiting for the opportunity to fit a Skyline roof to see if we want to offer it as a cheaper alternative. We can also supply and fit Reimo poptops for those that want them but we wouldn't consider fitting any of the others!

I was very close to ordering Austops as they are TUV rated the same as SCA. But the quality of the SCA and bed got the better of me. So now have an SCA 194 booked in for March fitting.

I did like the Skyline also and canvas colour options make it popular. Austops TUV rating seems to be making them very popular £3k choice though.

Back