Just changed mind and gone Austops instead. Had a fresh quote for SCA and price has gone up by £600. All thanks to the value of the Euro. Damn Brexit! I can't justify that price difference at moment, especially when there's so much more I want to do.

Wowzers :eek:! I think you can get up to about the £5.5k mark with us for the 194 but that would include safari canvass, colour coding the gas struts all round and even the roof prep kit.
I'm pretty sure we are about £5k all in for a colour coded SCA 194 roof! Email Tracey on info@slidepods.co.uk for a quote its no bother to give you one, they come with all options itemised so you can choose what spec you want :thumbsup:.
Not even that far from you in the grand scheme of things.

My initial quote was about £5k but a call this week to Supplier forced price up. Have prices gone up this week by any chance?

Assume yout prices are inc Vat, fitting and trimming too?

Wowzers :eek:! I think you can get up to about the £5.5k mark with us for the 194 but that would include safari canvass, colour coding the gas struts all round and even the roof prep kit.
I'm pretty sure we are about £5k all in for a colour coded SCA 194 roof! Email Tracey on info@slidepods.co.uk for a quote its no bother to give you one, they come with all options itemised so you can choose what spec you want :thumbsup:.
Not even that far from you in the grand scheme of things.

Coming down to see you this Friday and want to talk SCA roofs! Looking forward to seeing your work 'in the flesh'.

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a company that can fit a elevating roof to my van?

I've noticed a couple of companies offering this service but some are much cheaper than others making me think there may be some difference in the quality of the materials ect.

Hi guys, can anyone recommend a company that can fit a elevating roof to my van?

I've noticed a couple of companies offering this service but some are much cheaper than others making me think there may be some difference in the quality of the materials ect.
SCA roofs are generally considered to be the best for their overall quality and strength, with Reimo a very close second. Some will say Reimo are the best. SCA are approved by Volkswagen. But, and this is probably the most important point, the quality of the installation itself is paramount. There are lots of other pop top roofs but like everything, you get what you pay for, and the same goes for the quality of the fitting. So do your homework and ask questions. Satisfy yourself that your van is going to be well looked after whilst the roof is being fitted. And beware, anyone who says 'same day fitting' simply isn't doing it right. Expect to pay in the range £1500 to £5000, so get the best you can afford, but don't spoil a good van with a cheap roof. Kernow Transporters (Cornwall) supply original VW California electric roofs.

Thanks for your reply DPS. I have found couple of companies who look very reputable (new wave custom conversions & exploria ) I totally agree with your comments not to spoil a good van with a cheap roof.

Thanks for your reply DPS. I have found couple of companies who look very reputable (new wave custom conversions & exploria ) I totally agree with your comments not to spoil a good van with a cheap roof.
You are right, both of those are very good converters and would do an excellent job for you.

but don't spoil a good van with a cheap roof.

So many converters seem to do this. We did spend a few months looking at buying a pre-converted van and were put off by the roofs on so many. Rattles, squeaks, big ugly rubber bulges, weirdly narrow roofs, scary looking lack of support, low lifts. I suppose it is an area where you can save a lot by doing it on the cheap, but it seems like a pretty hard thing to sort out later.

Get it wrong and you have a massive hole in the roof of your van.
I'm still waiting for mine to be fitted but a few months back went and did a tour of a few converters near me that all offered different style of roof. Only then did I feel informed enough to make what I believe to be the best choice that suits us and at a company that we think have a lot to offer. Seeing the guys fit a roof to another van was a bit like choosing a nursery for a child, you wanted to know it was going into a safe cared for environment,

@Dene Olley Before being able to identify a converter to fit, you need to have a good look around and determine exactly what roof you want. Not every converter does every type of roof, and are often only authorised to install certain ones.
My suggestion if you have not already done so, is get yourself along to some shows (Busfest is only two weeks away) look at different styles; in both the elevated and housed position, get up inside them and have a really good figure out which one meets your requirements, pocket etc. From that point identifying a converter who is authorised by the manufacturer to fit it is a bit easier. The manufacturer will often post up a list of their authorised installers.

as written above - don't cut corners when you are having a big hole cut out of your prized possession!
We have a LWB so went for a rear lifting SCA.
Fitted by converter in Shrewsbury who did all the conversion.
SCA preserves VW warranty but for sure Reimo are up there.
A poor fit will haunt you forever.

as written above - don't cut corners when you are having a big hole cut out of your prized possession!
We have a LWB so went for a rear lifting SCA.
Fitted by converter in Shrewsbury who did all the conversion.
SCA preserves VW warranty but for sure Reimo are up there.
A poor fit will haunt you forever.
Was that Bodans by any chance?

Another top to consider is the Hilo, it might be right up your street

@Colinlp

Rolling Homes.
SWB SCA roofs have an updated and upgraded bed base - v comfy
But LWB was only available in older version - still great bed but bit harder on the old bones!
SWMBO is currently researching best toppers etc!

We were having the same dilema so went to Camperjam earlier this year and spoke to suppliers and converters. We opted for a Skyline roof as it was good quality, fair price and manufactured in the UK aswell as having a fully waterproof canvas available in many colours with (reportedly) excellent manufacture backup. We considered the SCA and Reimo as both are fitted by our converter but we were warned by everyone we spoke to at Camperjam (even Reimo dealers) that lead times could be long and at times unpredictable and aftercare service questionable although the quality of them can't be denied and they are the big names in the market. As has been said before try and get to a show so you can see them in the flesh and talk to converters and owners.
Happy hunting

Back