Whilst it may be your experience, I've got nothing but good things to say about my HiLo (fitted by Xtremevan). Looks great, works great, no rattles or breakages after 9m use (so far...) and I also did my due diligence on fitter.

Stealth poptops do seem to get more complaints tho compared to bathtubs though (applies to both HiLo and Lowlife), perhaps a more complex fit &/or less industrialised training schemes than Reimo etc?
Really glad to hear that you are one of the most likely many happy campers. As everyone knows you’ll always hear more of the negatives than the positives.
I’d definitely go down the line of a lab midroof sprinter or crafter if I was able to go back to start with the value of hindsight.
Unfortunately i’m never going to be able to buy a Cali :cry:.

Interesting. So it's basically a Cali Beach with a VW roof and no interior. Did not know that option existed.
VW have stopped production of the Cali Beach for the 6.1 so are only available as the T6

I thought it was the Coast (not available in britain) the Beach and the Ocean
VW Liverpool said the Beach was dropped and it was just the Coast and Ocean that was being produced

VW Liverpool said the Beach was dropped and it was just the Coast and Ocean that was being produced
Dealers are always the last ones to know. As you can see at the show, that's not the case, though it doesn't look like we'll get the Coast here just as with the T6

Last edited:
Can anyone help me with a compare and contrast of benefits and pitfalls on the following pop tops please. Skyline, Austops, Reimo. If there is anyone to avoid please let me know. Also has anyone had a roof fitted and van lined by AAW Ltd in Poole. Thanks

I've ended up going Reimo easyfit for my LWB.
Looked at skyline and austops at various installers, the Reimo is in a different league fit and finish wise.
I much prefer the easyfit/sca type system as well (there are various benefits) the austops and skyline are the traditional way of installing a pop top.
I also looked at SCA, which are on par with Reimo but the options are limited for a lwb bed wise.
I went for the comfort bed option, top quality piece of kit, not available for lwb by any other manufacturers.
I feel the bed systems in the skylines look a little 'diy', ie. I could quite easily make it myself as it's just a board covered in carpet, also dislike the piano hinges. The Austops bed looks better and more 'factory', they also do some nice plastic mouldings for around the front cut out area.
I prefer the canvas on the austops, the skyline is too thick and not really canvas like if that makes sense.
Overall the skylines and austops are both great roofs for the money (both TUV approved as well) but the Reimo is the next step up, obviously you pay the premium for it.
Saying that, once you add all the bits to a skyline roof (colour code, scenic canvas, bi-fold bed, mattress, trimming of roof area etc) they're not 'that' much cheaper. I'd rather have a Reimo easyfit and make the bed/trim panels myself for not that much more.

Wouldn't touch Hilo with a barge pole. Tried to get in touch a few times to talk about a sport roof, then to ask some questions about the surf roof, only managed to speak to someone once and wasn't that helpful. Even some of their installers couldn't answer questions I asked about the surf roof. Plenty love them though and there's no denying they look good.

It's a hard choice and there's no going back once that big holes been cut :)

Well they’re wrong when they said VW would stop making the Beach, whether the UK importers bring it here is a different matter

Well they’re wrong when they said VW would stop making the Beach, whether the UK importers bring it here is a different matter
When I said that VW had stopped making it, I only meant it for the UK market because that's were I live. That fact that they make in Europe is kind in irrelevant. To keep saying "they're wrong" doesn't change anything.

hi,
First post so hi to you all, we just got ourselves a T6 last week and have been to a guy to discuss getting it converted. He seems really good, had some good ideas on design and some of the vans we saw also looked very good.

We've been quoted for a Reimo pop top at £3600 (inc VAT) and i've seen quite a few options at less than this. Does that price seem fair for a Reimo pop top and are they really worth the extra expense over some of the other ones mentioned?

They said they have recently changed to being a Reimo fitter over another brand who they hadn't rated much of late (i don't recall what they were) but wondering if it there are savings to be had for a good quality product if i recommended a different option to him.

That sounds like a very fair price. I'm paying quite a bit more for a Reimo Fast Fit Open Sky version for a LWB T6, sprayed to match the van (Indium Grey) and lining internally to match the finishing. Worth checking what the price includes. I'm no expert, but reading different threads on here about pop tops, Reimo might not be the sleekest, flattest, highest or whatever, but they seem to be recognised for being quality items. However, any roof is only as good as the installer.

Lets put it this way. This forum, and the F/bk groups, are full of people asking what's the cheapest / cheaper option. Generally, these same forums are also full of people asking how they stop their (insert "cheaper" brand name / product - - ) from squeaking / rusting / catching the canvas in the hinges / leaking / failing MoT / bringing up error lights / crazing / generally being a nuisance.

Now have a look and see how many posts there are complaining about Reimo roofs - or other high-end products various. Simples. If you can afford it, and plan on keeping the van for any length of time, get a Reimo. I expect there are other high-end roofs too, but all I can say is we have a Reimo and it's really rather good. As you're in Harrogate, you're also close enough to Brighouse to be able to go and ask Exploria about their views on Reimo. They seem to be one of the "highly respected" converters, and we're certainly pleased with ours. (Hint - phone them - rather than email).

Last edited:
Lets put it this way. This forum, and the F/bk groups, are full of people asking what's the cheapest / cheaper option. Generally, these same forums are also full of people asking how they stop their (insert "cheaper" brand name / product - - ) from squeaking / rusting / catching the canvas in the hinges / leaking / failing MoT / bringing up error lights / crazing / generally being a nuisance.

Now have a look and see how many posts there are complaining about Reimo roofs - or other high-end products various. Simples. If you can afford it, and plan on keeping the van for any length of time, get a Reimo. I expect there are other high-end roofs too, but all I can say is we have a Reimo and it's really rather good. As you're in Harrogate, you're also close enough to Brighouse to be able to go and ask Exploria about their views on Reimo. They seem to be one of the "highly respected" converters, and we're certainly pleased with ours. (Hint - phone them - rather than email).

Thanks for the responses

I understand the paying for quality thing but I know that getting the best of the best may not also be necessary to get good quality. Like when people pay for Apple products for example and they are paying top dollar for a loved brand.

If they are a superior quality and will stand the test of time as you say then I'm happy to go with it, unfortunately our budget is tight so we are looking to get some work done later in the year. Initially we were just going to get the windows, carpets and some electrics done at first and use it for a while with a blow up matress but the convertor has suggested that it may be worth getting the pop top done as well while we're at it but obviously that's a significant chunk more. We may just have to say that we'll hold back on getting that done yet and go with our original plan.

Back