Hilo pop top gas strut replacement

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Heads up for anyone replacing gas struts on a Hilo roof (or others I'd guess).

Long read sorry but may prove useful to someone.

Step 1. Don't be a dick (like me) and wait till they fail.

Step 2. Don't ignore Step 1.

Step 3. If you were a dick and ignored steps 1 and 2 get help.

Seriously having spent some time trying to change one failed gas strut and failing to spot the warning signs a relatively simple job turn into a PITA.

So my left strut seals failed completely dumping all its contents in the roof channel. Trying to raise the roof with only one functional strut was impossible. The left hand side wouldn't raise and the hinge failed to open. After much swearing and head scratching I hatched a plan.

I managed to lift the roof just enough to create some space propping open with some timber on the inside. I then got a trolley jack with a piece of ply around 20" x 10" on top of the bed board and slowly started to jack up the roof. Once some more space had been made more timber supports were put in place. Each time moving the jack further towards the back of the roof. Soon the hinge began to open and the roof start to rise. Once at this stage some 4x2 was use to support the roof from the outside taking the weight. Kept repeating until the roof was almost at it max openning.

Next was to remove the faulty strut which was the easy part. Just two clips to remove. Push the retaining pin out and that was it.

Replacing the new one I started with fixing the top roof mount and then pulled the other end towards the bracket on the van.

This is where it all became to much for me. I swore a lot, kicked a few things, had a strop and finally admitted defeat and called for help. Get so frustrated when I can't do something without assistance.

In my head the plan was simple. I'd just pull the new strut into the lower mounting bracket. However there was to much tension on the pop top fabric to enable me to pull the strut all the way into its home position and there was no way i could compress the strut. Ended up with it stuck sat on one of the mounts fixing screws.

Once reinforcements arrived (my brother) I climbed inside onto the bed board and pushed up just enough to create that extra few mm to allow the strut to drop into place. Then with the second pair of hands the pin and clip were fitted.

Replacing the other side was pretty straight forward after that as we just repeated the process of pushing up and pulling into place.

So the moral of the story is look for signs the gas struts may be on the way out. Oil, difficult to raise, uneven raising (in my case), lowering fast, etc and replace while you can still lift the roof as it will be so much easier. And get another pair of hands.

Good luck.

P. S I didn't kick the cat but the Mrs can't go out for a while. (It's a joke before anyone starts, we don't have a cat)

sounds like something I’d do, both attempt it on myself and then kick the cat! (I don’t have one either)
Did you mind me asking which struts you got to replace please?

You can use a small ratchet strap in a loop to compress the strut, I always carry one now if away in my van and planning on raising the roof.

@True Romance, how long did the original struts last before you noticed signs they were failing and how long between the early signs and complete failure (not that I'd be that dick that would ignore the early signs :whistle:)?

sounds like something I’d do, both attempt it on myself and then kick the cat! (I don’t have one either)
Did you mind me asking which struts you got to replace please?
They were direct replacements from surfbus (hilo installers).

@True Romance, how long did the original struts last before you noticed signs they were failing and how long between the early signs and complete failure (not that I'd be that dick that would ignore the early signs :whistle:)?
Suspect signs of leaking oil would be the first tell tale but this wasn't something I was looking for so didn't check. My first signs were one side slow to raise. Then when pulling down very little resistance. Now have the opposite effect in its harder to pull down but that's another story. Struts were on from new so around 5 years.

Reactions: Bav
Back