I had my GG AT's on a front wheel drive T5, and they defiantly made a noticable difference.
Have been stuck in the mud on too many occasions, but it was invariable after parking up on soft ground, the wheels would sink in over the day, and no matter how good the fronts were, the rears would act as an anchor which the fronts could not pull them out of. One way around this was to park the van "especially rears" on sand mats or rips of timber to ease setting of. Generally grippy AT's on a front wd would always keep us moving, so long as you didn't stop.
The electronic diff lock on the front axel is a bit pants in my experience (T5), and I have been struggling on grass before when no matter how you reved it with esp/asr turned off, I could not get both front wheels to drive.
On my T6 with 4 motion and a rear locking diff, I can ease back on AT as the All Weather / All Season tyres are more than good enough all year round/ all terrains, and in winer conditions probably far better.

Is there any benefit in fitting these sort of tyres to a front wheel drive van?

Yeah, definately a benefit. I've got All Season Continentals on my van. Been travelling Europe for the past 4 weeks. Loadsa miles, driven over sand, shale, up and down steep muddy (think washed out forest tracks due to torrential rain...) tracks. The tyres have definately made a difference. Never lost grip, able to move the van easy after nights of heavy rain on grass pitches etc. All in a FWD van.

So long as I learnt how to actually use the engine to move me and not just the accelerator I was fine! ;)

Interestingly (if you're intetested.....) the famous Long Range Desert Group of WW2 North African fame, Primarily used FWD vehicles as their transport across the desert seeking out ze germans. They found that FWD vehicles were lighter, used less fuel and were easier to maintain on operations.........

Sound familiar???? ;):slow rofl:

I'm putting AT's on my van when my current ruler has worn down a bit more. I want to get my monies worth from them.

Same here. Currently running Continental All Seasons and they're brilliant but will be going to propper ATs when they run down.....

Some wheel spins and doughnuts in Homebase Carpark might get them sooner :whistle:

I have two tire trains, Continental until the weather is nice and Nokian Weatherproof when rainy season starts ..... all with iron rims ... in size 215 / 65r16 I did not find tires A / T with load code 107 .... would have liked me too !!

Hey Loz,

Now that you have had the Seikel HD "Bilstein" on for a while, whats your thoughts?

I had the Seikel HD Maxi "Monroe" fitted, i got to say so far I'm quite impressed, less body roll, handles like a different van and thats without the recommended min load.

I got a 30mm lift in the front and 60mm in the rear, although that will come down once i add the camper fit out.

Although these wheel arches are now looking like they need filling, those KO2 225/65 R17 are legal here.

Has anyone with those BFG managed to fit the inflated spare in the spare wheel well ?

I'll have to wear these Cargo Vector 2's out first as i just brought a spare and they are doing the job at the moment.

I’m really impressed, fully loaded with camping gear it sits just right and is +50mm.
I just emptied the back of boxes and pullout drawer to collect the late father-in-laws motor scooter today and its gone up a bit more now, I’ll try to remember to take a picture.

Ride wise it feels good, not much roll and it felt strong on the tracks we drove in the Alps back in the summer.

@Bryn23 Seikel do make an oversized spare wheel holder, Possible tyre sizes: up to 225/75 R16, 235/70 R16 or 235/65 R17

@Bryn23 Seikel do make an oversized spare wheel holder, Possible tyre sizes: up to 225/75 R16, 235/70 R16 or 235/65 R17

Thanks Ed,

Im aware that Seikel has an oversized tyre holder for the price of a black market kidney:eek:

I just wanted to see if any one with 225/65 R17 has fitted the spare in the standard holder, I'm aware that 235/65 R17 have to let the air out to fit the spare.

So i was thinking it might just fit with the 225/65 R17 having a 13mm smaller diameter than the 235/65 R17

I’m really impressed, fully loaded with camping gear it sits just right and is +50mm.
I just emptied the back of boxes and pullout drawer to collect the late father-in-laws motor scooter today and its gone up a bit more now, I’ll try to remember to take a picture.

Ride wise it feels good, not much roll and it felt strong on the tracks we drove in the Alps back in the summer.

Thanks Loz,

So ill be looking of a 10mm drop thereabouts, once i finish my fitout, Thats handy to know.

I've really noticed the less roll in mine. its not cheap, but I'm glad i did it, its made a good handling van a great handling van:)

Are Coast VW still doing the Seikel lifts...or, who else does in the South West?

no, no .... the hubcaps are not good with the polished wheels !!, much better without .... and for me the black wheels are not suitable for a dark vehicle, if light color (white yellow red gray) then ....

no, no .... the hubcaps are not good with the polished wheels !!, much better without .... .
I agree, but when abroad on a trip I dont have the locking wheel nuts on it and without the caps its obvious...

It looks well I’m 80% convinced in a lift kit I lowered mine like we all seemed to do but it would be more practical and a bit more useful if was high up

It's easy to follow the masses as you've got loads of reviews and photos to use when making an informed decision. It's harder to go against the grain sometimes. However lifting is the way forward in my eyes :thumbsup:

I guess Air ride, offers it all, you can change your mind every day.
Now where did I put that spare £5k..........
I'm -20mm and that is more than low enough for me, but to be able to lift it, and drop if for loading etc would be a great benefit
The seikel kit does look very good indeed.

Back