it looks good, but now that you have the Seikel rise, you need bigger tires :D

Hey Loz,

Did your van come with those matt Grey/Black wheel arches? or did you get those aftermarket?

I've never seen them on a T6 before.

The wheel arches looks great on a raised T6.

Most black rims I've seen powder coated on are Satin Black or Matt Black, any reason why you went gloss?

Hey Loz,

Did your van come with those matt Grey/Black wheel arches? or did you get those aftermarket?

I've never seen them on a T6 before.

The wheel arches looks great on a raised T6.

Most black rims I've seen powder coated on are Satin Black or Matt Black, any reason why you went gloss?
The arches are from the accessories brochure and available from the club shop if you ask Pauly, I added them recently.

The wheels, I just asked my powder coat guys to put the best finish they could do and that is how they turned out. I'm pretty pleased with them.

Looks good with the wheel arch extensions (Might have to do that), think the wheels actually look nicer without the center cover.

I'm running ATs muds are too noisy and none are speed rated.

I'm well impressed with the Michelin Lattitude Cross 235/55/17 I'm using at the moment.

I have toyo open country 245/65/17 on mine ,they are quite comfy if that makes sense,it's a T32 so quite well sprung.
Running them at 40psi & all seems well

Running Mud & Snow & 3pms (3 peak mountain snowflake - winter) all weather, all seasons, so will perform in summer and winter (not too cold). Just got 17k miles on them pretty much perfect for our needs and look like they will do 25k-30k miles and still have 3mm of tread left on them. Probably loose a little bit in economy but no increased noise at all that I can tell .
I'll only run this kind of tyre on ours going forward
Nokian Weatherproof SUV.
https://www.nokiantyres.com/all-weather-tyres/nokian-weath
Ours is often parked in muddy fields with a couple of hundred other vans at weekends, which can churn up pretty quickly if it rains, so it increase the utility of our van without a doubt.:thumbsup::):thumbsup:
I ran the same tyres as @Loz on my T5 for a few years (235/60/16) they where load rated at 100 so just OK for a Vel. Very good tyre.
Then got some 18" sport-lines and fitted General Grabber AT 255/55/18 (7.5% oversized) on the T5 Vel, they are completed beasts. last very well but the is a bit more noise when they start to wear, but they last for ages and are very good in mud, but some people aren't as convinced in snow/ice; having said that we didn't have any problems with them. They looked superb on the Vel (30mm lowered standard), and we where always getting positive comments.

I'm on recently acquired Goodyear Vector 4 Gen 2s and am very impressed so far.
Properly load rated, M&S All Weather tyres. As quiet as the stupid tyres our van came with (which prematurely wore out thanks to poor alignment) and a decent tread without being too OTT; ideal 4motion tyres IMO.

Is there any benefit in fitting these sort of tyres to a front wheel drive van?

Is there any benefit in fitting these sort of tyres to a front wheel drive van?

Depends on what you're using it for but if it will include light off road stuff and/or a bit of snow/ice then most definitely yes. Tyres are incredibly important; a FWD vehicle with good tyres can actually outdo a 4wd one with daft sports tyres when traction is needed.

But match them all round; don't just get AT tyres on the front axles or you'll be a potential spinning van victim.

Last edited:
Yes I'd certainly get all four matched. Had been thinking I'd put winters on the steelies that came with the van, as I've had them on my last 3 cars and they have made the difference between getting to where I need and not getting off the drive on several occasions. Having ATs put on the Devonports and using them all yr would be an alternative, if they're not too much of a compromise

Yes I'd certainly get all four matched. Had been thinking I'd put winters on the steelies that came with the van, as I've had them on my last 3 cars and they have made the difference between getting to where I need and not getting off the drive on several occasions. Having ATs put on the Devonports and using them all yr would be an alternative, if they're not too much of a compromise

I put dedicated winters on a 335d and they were dreadful; hard tread and soft sidewalls only works in snow, nothing else. The handling was dangerous. I won't use them again unless I move the Norway or similar!

I reckon good All Weathers are more than sufficient for snow; the good ones score very similarly to winters without turning the vehicle into a bag of spanners handling-wise.

My Defender and Jimny did it all on "all terrain" type tyres; not Winters. We'll all except roads...!

You must have had some duff ones, I suppose it depends what make you go for. I had winters on a 335i and they actually handled better than the runflats! Also had them on a Merc and Jag and they've been great, generally on end of Nov and off end of March, although the handling starts to get a little bit soft once over 13º and I take them off when it gets routinely over 10º as I've found that's the best point. I've driven in all the Scandinavian countries as I have family there, and used proper snow tyres (studded winter tyres) and they're on another level gripwise :D

Thanks for the info, I think I'll have a look at getting some ATs once these need replacing and maybe sell the steels

Highly rated Yokohamas. They really were awful; I ditched the run flats a month after getting it; horrible things. Stuck SportContacts on and transformed the ride and handling; I really could drive that car really hard with
total confidence. Same with our M135i although it is a bit more lairy.

All the BMW M cars and M Performance (which my M135i is) come with non RFTs; sooooo much better.

My bro in law lives West of Stockholm so has to have full on Winter tyres by law; in those conditions they work but above above 5 degrees, hard treads and super soft sidewalks (the opposite of RFTs) just don't work.

Back