I’ve had 2 of our work vans broken into with keys readily available on Amazon, under £30.
Fair enough they are Fords, but to lose thousands of pounds worth of kit that easily leaves a bitter taste.

I hope it was nothing more sinister than leaving it unlocked, but you are right to be asking the questions.

Ford locks are known to be weak, you dont even need a key. . a screwdriver and hammer or set of adjustable grips.

and the Ford keyless entry relay attack and be made from parts available on eBay and software/code downloaded from online hacker forums.

have a quick look at the Ford Transit vid that done the rounds -->

Ford locks are known to be weak, you dont even need a key. . a screwdriver and hammer or set of adjustable grips.

and the Ford keyless entry relay attack and be made from parts available on eBay and software/code downloaded from online hacker forums.

have a quick look at the Ford Transit vid that done the rounds -->

Wow! It's like going back to the 1990's with Vauxhalls. Pathetic and just not acceptable in this day and age.

With the bump key off amazon they were able to enter the van silently at 4am and take all the tools etc whilst the van was on my employees drive, no more than 8ft from his bedroom window.
They dropped a drill case which woke him and he went out after them, but they were away with most of the contents.

Can't quite tell from your reply there Dave ...... is your T6 a DSG and therefore there is a Safe T Pedal for T6 DSG's not just manuals ?? Cheers

Just looking at the safe T box, guessing these work on manuls and DSG's?

These are the salient parts of the paper that apply to us.
We have RKE(Remote Keyless Entry and not PKES (Passive Keyless Entry and Start)
1.1.3 Remote Keyless Entry Systems
RKE systems rely on a unidirectional data transmission from the remote control, which is embedded in the car key, to the vehicle. Upon pressing a button, an active Radio Frequency (RF) transmitter in the remote control usually generates signals in a freely usable frequency band. These include the 315 MHz band in North America and the 433 MHz or 868 MHz band in Europe, with a typical range of several tens to hundreds of meters. Note that a few old cars have been using infrared technology instead of RF. RKE systems enable the user to comfortably lock and unlock the vehicle from a distance, and can be used to switch on and off the anti-theft alarm, when present. The first remote controls for cars used no cryptography at all: The car was unlocked after the successful reception of a constant “fix code” signal. Replay attacks on these systems are straightforward. We encountered a Mercedes Benz vehicle manufactured around 2000 that still relies on such fix code RKE systems. The next generation of RKE systems are so-called rolling code systems, which employ cryptography and a counter value that is increased on each button press. The counter value (and other inputs) form the plaintext for generating a new, encrypted (or otherwise authenticated) rolling code signal. After decryption/verification on the side of the vehicle, the counter value is checked by comparing it to the last stored counter value that was recognized as valid: An increased counter value is considered new and thus accepted. A rolling code with an old counter value is rejected. This mechanism constitutes an effective protection against replay attacks, since a rolling code is invalidated once it has been received by the vehicle. The cryptographic mechanisms behind rolling code systems are further described in Section 2. In principle, such unidirectional rolling code schemes can provide a suitable security level for access control. However, as researchers have shown in the case of Keeloq in 2008, the security guarantees are invalidated if they rely on flawed cryptographic schemes: Keeloq was broken both by cryptanalysis [7, 15] and, in a more realistic setting, by sidechannel attacks on the key derivation scheme executed by the receiver unit [12, 17]. Although it is frequently mentioned that Keeloq is widely used for for vehicle RKE systems, our research indicates that this system is prevalently employed for garage door openers. Another attack, targeting an outdated automotive RKE scheme of an unspecified vehicle (built between 2000 and 2005), was demonstrated by Cesare in 2014 [9]: An adversary has to eavesdrop three subsequent rolling codes. Then, using phase-space analysis, the next rolling code can be predicted with a high probability. However, apart from this attack the cryptographic security of automotive RKE systems has not been investigated to our knowledge. In particular, a large-scale survey and security analysis of very wide-spread rolling code systems has not been carried out. A different, simple but effective method used by criminals to break into cars is to jam the RF communication when the victim presses the remote control to lock the car. The victim may not notice the attack and thus leave the car open. A variant of the attack is “selective jamming”, i.e., a combined eavesdropping-and-jamming approach: The transmitted rolling code signal is monitored and at the same time jammed, with the effect that the car is not locked and the attacker possesses a temporarily valid (one-time) rolling code. Consequently, a car could be found appropriately locked after a burglary. This approach was first mentioned in [17] and later practically demonstrated by [16,27]. Note that one successful transmission of a new rolling code from the original remote to the car usually invalidates all previously eavesdropped rolling codes, i.e., the time window for the attack is relatively small. Furthermore, it is usually not possible to change the signal contents, for example, convert a “lock” command into an “unlock”. This limitation is often overlooked (e.g. in [16, 27]) and severely limits the practical threat posed by this type of attack.

3.4 The VW-4 Scheme
In newer VW Group vehicles from approximately 2009 onwards, we found an RKE system that has the same encoding and packet structure as VW-3 (although with a different start pattern), but does not employ the AUT64 cipher. For this system VW-4 the analysis of the respective ECU firmware revealed that the XTEA cipher [24] is used to encrypt a rolling code packet with a format otherwise identical to VW-3 (cf. Figure 7). XTEA is a block cipher based on a 64-round Feistel structure with 64-bit block size and 128-bit key. Due to the structure of the round function based on Addition, Rotate, XOR (ARX) operations, it is well suited for lightweight software implementations required for low-end and low-power devices like RKE remotes. The best known cryptanalytical attack on XTEA [22] is of theoretical nature (relatedkey rectangle attack on 36 rounds with 2 63.83 byte of data and 2 104.33 steps) and hence not relevant in the context of RKE systems. However, again we found that a single, worldwide key is used for all vehicles employing the VW-4 system. The same single point of failure of the older systems VW-1–VW-3 is hence also present in recently manufactured vehicles. For example, we found this scheme implemented in an Audi Q3, model year 2016, and could decrypt and generate new valid rolling codes to open and close this vehicle (and numerous other VW Group vehicles, cf. Section 3.5.1).

3.5.2 Temporary Countermeasures
Completely solving the described security problems would require a firmware update or exchange of both the respective ECU and (worse) the vehicle key containing the remote control. Due to the strict testing and certification requirements in the automotive industry and the high cost of replacing or upgrading all affected car keys in the field, it is unlikely that VW Group can roll out such an update in the short term. Hence, we give recommendations for users of affected vehicles in the following. The well-known advice (see e.g. [25]) to verify that a vehicle was properly locked with the remote control (blinking direction lights, sound) is no longer sufficient. An adversary may have eavesdropped the “lock” signal from a distance of up to 100 m and generate a new, valid “unlock” rolling code any time later. Preventing or detecting the eavesdropping of RF signals is impractical. Hence, the only remaining (yet impractical) countermeasure is to fully deactivate or at least not use the RKE functionality and resort to the mechanical lock of the vehicle. Note that in addition, for many cars, the alarm will trigger after a while if the car doors or the trunk are mechanically opened, unless the immobilizer is disarmed with the original key. With respect to forensics, there are several potential indicators (due to the nature of rolling code schemes) that the remote control may have been cloned: If the vehicle does not unlock on the first button press, this could imply that an adversary has sent valid rolling codes with counter values greater than the one stored in the original remote control. Note that no traces of the attack are left once the counter in the original remote control has caught up with the increased value stored in the car. Further, a complete blocking of the remote control (see above) may be an indicator (e.g., for insurance related court cases) that the RKE system was attacked. It should however be taken into account that, according to our practical tests, the remote control will also be blocked if the car receives a counter that is increased by more than 250 compared to the last stored value—this could for example happen if the remote control buttons are pushed many times while not in the range of the vehicle.

All interesting stuff but I’m still a bit confused how they opened my van without the key and how I can prevent this happening again ?

I’ve had sleepless nights, wake up, keep looking out my window throughout the night, I’m looking to get ghost. I can’t install bollards as it’s a shared driveway.

Also going to get a perimeter alarm and cameras.

All interesting stuff but I’m still a bit confused how they opened my van without the key and how I can prevent this happening again ?

I’ve had sleepless nights, wake up, keep looking out my window throughout the night, I’m looking to get ghost. I can’t install bollards as it’s a shared driveway.

Also going to get a perimeter alarm and cameras.
Unless you are the first owner of a T6 to be the victim of a new technical attack that can simulate the fob and unlock your van(not impossible re the above, but not heard of as yet), then it's more likely either wasn't locked or failed to lock because a door was not properly latched.

I found mine open the other day, I looked back over the CCTV and with all my backwards and forwards I simply forget to lock it.

Was anything taken? if not how did you know it was entered?

Last edited:
You could get a alarm fitted that’s not connected to the vans unlocking . You will need to use another remote but only use it when you think it’s necessary. This only works if you can hear it from your house . I have been told to cover the vin number on show through the windscreen .

@True Romance ... I didn't buy in the end. I rang Shire Fabrications. They told me they did have an option for a T6 DSG but I clearly recall I didn't feel comfortable with their attitude and the way they came over on the phone about such a simple question (as it is certainly not clear on their website).

I just bought a StopLock steering wheel lock in the end, not both

My 'day' job requires very little brain power and I sometimes find that I've been unknowingly pondering stuff in the background.
It seems to me that if you suspect a Samy Kamkar 'rolljam' attack, all you need to confirm and circumvent it is a fob from any old car. Keep it on your keyring and if ever your real fob doesnt work first time, press the dummy fob. If you're being rolljammed, the dummy will open your car, confirming the attack. Meanwhile, the thieves will only have a useless code from your dummy fob.

If you dont want to carry an old fob, if your first press fails, dont try again, just wait for the owners of the adjacent car to arrive. If you're being rolljammed, their fob will simultaneously unlock both cars. The thieves will have the adjacent cars code which will be obsoleted when the owners get home & lock their car.

If you're not concerned about confirming an attack then just use the key if the first press doesnt work. All IMHO of course :)

Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Been reading this thread hoping this not to be a common occurrence.
I had something similar a few weeks ago with my sliding door ajar when I was going to work. Instantly I presumed it had been an attempted theft, checked the CCTV on the house and dashcam and it turned out to be my Mrs hadn’t closed the side door when she got the dog out and gravity had just slid it almost closed but not latched.
I pretty much always press ‘lock’ as I’m going to bed and see the indicator flashand presume it’s locked.

I didn’t know about the single press to deadlock so I’ve been un-deadlocking the doors too.

Are you 100% sure you locked your van ? @AJ 82 did you have anything missing ? Dashcam or satnav ?

Our CLA beeps when you lock it and I’m sure on Carista you can enable a chirp or beep on lock on the van. Has anyone activated it ??

Get one of these and put the sensor on the top of your tyre, anyone walks past and you’ll know about it.

5BED0F88-0FF9-4840-B938-75B3705FED74.png

I've been researching and chatting to a fair few experts (people who know far more than me)

So this is my thinking from their input.

That evening I went to Sainsburys for a few bits, came home parked it on the drive locked it. In the morning I woke up, looked out my window instantly noticed the dash compartment up and some paper work on the dash, straight away I said to my gf, thats not right.

I am pretty OCD about everything and know where and how I leave everything. Went out to the van with my GF and looked in to the van to see all the compartments open, tried the drivers door it was locked, walked around to the passenger door it was unlocked and ajar.

I opened the door and realised that I had been robbed. They took my North face coat, money wallet with parking change circa £10 and a John lewis gift voucher worth £250 which stupidly I left in the van in the comfort dash compartment. (That has been cancelled subsequently)

There were finger prints on the shiny dash flap and dirt/leaf in my van.

I think I was targeted at Sainsbury's that evening and followed. I reckon they picked up my signal in the car park then followed me home. My house is set back from the road and its quite dark where I live so not a obvious find.

Funny, that night my GF and I both said that it was a perfect night for murders and crime, low light, noisey from fireworks, foggy and stillness to the muggy air. Low and behold it happened!

As I previously mentioned I am beefing up security with cameras, extra lighting (PIR), perimeter alarm, garage and house alarm and also a stand alone alarm (not decided which one) for the T6. As I write this the T6 has a disk lock on the steering wheel.

Almost certainly the circumstances are worrying for us all, my main concern is they come back and try and steal it.

Some serious lesson learnt, 12 hours previous £2500 worth of kite surfing gear was in the back which I took out to do a tip run, I am very lucky! I suspect they saw my van and thought he would have some flashy gear in the back.

I have a battery PIR alarm in my car. It also connects to a separate wall mounted bell and has a SIM card so it rings my mobile if it goes off. Nice to have a totally separate system that won’t be expected.

I do believe that the ford lock has now been fixed as I was made aware on a recall, plus I’ve had mine changed to an aftermarket locking barrel, but I too have left my side door open on my t6 before, the good thing about my transit it will sound the horn if a door isn’t shut when you press the key!

Jesus! All that damage must of made a hell of a racket, and no one saw anything? Where was the Aldi?
Mate, I feel for you, that is not going to be cheap to fix. Not only has it damaged the rear quarter, but it looks like the sliding door is also dented badly where they've levered it.

North London, Tottenham. No CCTV, just anpr for parking time limits.
Not a nice area, but it was really busy.
Deadlocks saved a lot of heartache, but no, wont be a cheap fix.
Insurance job for sure

Back