Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

Mad one yesterday, and kinda security related...

Had 3x calls on the phone from a private number.... Which I normally ignore, but by the 5th ring i answered it to tell them to go do one.

To my surprise it was the Metatrak control room asking about the van!

They asked if everything was ok as they have an authorized movement alarm. That means the van had been moved without the ignition key being used.

Well, we was working in KingsX and the van was parked up in a parking spot down the road.... I said hold on I'll check.

So quickly logged to to the Ring App and the phone......

I couldn't believe what I was seeing........

Screenshot_20220531-111053_Ring.jpgScreenshot_20220531-111103_Ring.jpg

I saw the van on the back of a lorry driving down the road with yellow stickers over the window..... :oops:

Moving over to the tracker App I watched as the van made its way across London to a car pound 1hr away.....

Screenshot_20220531-122039_MetaTrak.jpg

After a quick Google search on the local council clamp and removal policy.

That lead me to the TRACE website which had all the details and where to go to get it back.....

That was the good bit....

The bad bit was having to get myself to the pound, then copies of license, insurance,bank statement,v5, etc etc while mobile.

And then the very worst bit.... Having to pay £240 in cash to get it back !!!

Not a good day.

Moral of the story...... Security tech on your van is good.

Not paying Islington council PCN's quick enough will get you clamped and lifted. - which is bad

edit:

heres the van looking very sorry for itself in the pound . . .

1654089233882.png

Last edited:
At least it was the council removing the van not someone else Del :oops:

Back in the day, I (lawfully) removed an illegally parked Ford capri in Soho, and was driving it to the pound when in traffic I got a tap on the window and the owner asked me at least for a lift to the pound- so I was happy to oblige.

Mad one yesterday, and kinda security related...

Had 3x calls on the phone from a private number.... Which I normally ignore, but by the 5th ring i answered it to tell them to go do one.

To my surprise it was the Metatrak control room asking about the van!

They asked if everything was ok as they have an authorized movement alarm. That means the van had been moved without the ignition key being used.

Well, we was working in KingsX and the van was parked up in a parking spot down the road.... I said hold on I'll check.

So quickly logged to to the Ring App and the phone......

I couldn't believe what I was seeing........

View attachment 158915View attachment 158916

I saw the van on the back of a lorry driving down the road with yellow stickers over the window..... :oops:

Moving over to the tracker App I watched as the van made its way across London to a car pound 1hr away.....

View attachment 158917

After a quick Google search on the local council clamp and removal policy.

That lead me to the TRACE website which had all the details and where to go to get it back.....

That was the good bit....

The bad bit was having to get myself to the pound, then copies of license, insurance,bank statement,v5, etc etc while mobile.

And then the very worst bit.... Having to pay £240 in cash to get it back !!!

Not a good day.

Moral of the story...... Security tech on your van is good.

Not paying Islington council PCN's quick enough will get you clamped and lifted. - which is bad
How did you get the ring app camera inside the van? Literally have the doorbell in the cabin area?

@SAF1981 & @Jwardy23

yep as above . . .

battery powered RING doorbell, it comes with a magnet already . . . so just sticks to the Bulkhead.

USB rechargeable too . . .

1654088164141.png

1654088181751.png

i mainly use it for parking tickets and parking etc . . plus checking on the van.

you can do the same thing with your dashcam . . .

i have a BLACKVUE on the front screen too . . . . but that needs power, ( its still wired to IGN feed ATM, ill get round to moving it over to the LB at some point)

but it wont show the CAB, but will show if the vans being towed away . . . :slow rofl:

1654088302217.png

example . . .

1654088572219.png

@SAF1981 & @Jwardy23

yep as above . . .

battery powered RING doorbell, it comes with a magnet already . . . so just sticks to the Bulkhead.

View attachment 158958

View attachment 158959

i mainly use it for parking tickets and parking etc . . plus checking on the van.

i have a BLACKVUE on the front screen too . . . . but that needs power, ( its still wired to IGN feed ATM, ill get round to moving it over to the LB at some point)

but it wont show the CAB, but will show if the vans being towed away . . . :slow rofl:

View attachment 158960

example . . .

View attachment 158961

The black view set up is great and a must to run off the LB.

Also loved having the reassurance of the Ring cam while on travels in Europe. it was great just to check back on the van.

@SAF1981 & @Jwardy23

yep as above . . .

View attachment 158958

View attachment 158959

View attachment 158960

example . . .

View attachment 158961

What do you do for signal/WiFi for the Ring @Dellmassive ?

@Ozi

This.....

hey all,

Happy New Year,

Can I have your thoughts on the below Tracker by Vodafone? New insurance has forced me to have a tracker fitted on the van. :oops:

Vodafone Protect & Connect S5 VTS GPS tracking System
Hi Texxaco: I had the Vodafone Protect and Connect S5 fitted January 2021: in January 2022 I renewed my contact for 3 years £430 through Vodafone Automotive.

All was great until 6 weeks ago when both the fobs started to disconnect/ switch off from the unit. Customer Service would then contact me with a theft alert. I would phone them to say all was well - this issue has gone on now almost on a daily basis.

on some occasions we are able to switch the fob back on so Vodafone don’t phone me and I don’t need to phone Vodafone.

The problem can even occur when I am driving along the road with the fob in the van. We have changed the batteries and re synced the fob on two occasions.

Customer Service sent me one new fob as a good will gesture. The problem persists even with the new fob. Customer Service now tell me I can buy a further new fob for £25 or get an engineer out for £125

I have asked to speak to a manager he will call back within 3 days

I had a security bollard fitted shortly after getting the van - Unlike in the photo below, I always park it nose to the garage door and arse facing the bollard though, as that way I can see it in the reversing camera and the rear parking sensors go nuts, so no danger of me backing straight into it! I got too paranoid about parking it nose to bollard as the front sensors didn't pick it for some reason :oops: Used these guys: Telescopic Bollards, Parking Posts & Barriers Birmingham, Halesowen, Solihull Stainless Steel Bollards, Dorridge, Knowle, Tamworth

Bollard.jpg

Also have the Stoplock Pro steering wheel lock, and other hidden electrical wizardry to help keep it on the drive. Nothing's 100% going to stop a really determined scumbag, but hopefully enough to make them think about choosing a softer target.

Oh, and I have a big feck-off scary guard dog as well ;)

IMG_1972.jpg

FWIW:

I've moved the WIFI , Dashcam and all the other security related stuffr over to the LB now.

so its all 24/7.

also found out that the Blackvue Cloud settings alows for three WIFI entries.

so I've added the WIFI at home as #1

the vans mobile wifi as #2

and the work WIFI as #3

that will off load the vans wifi and battery usage when im in range of home or work WIFI.

APPY DAYS.

The RING stuff is on the VAN WIFI 24/7

+++

1682693065430.png1682693077568.png1682693113605.png1682693267503.png

@EAN thanks.
So you reckon it's worth finding somewhere to put it when you're driving, and the time taken to fit?
Looks pretty thick & substantial from the pics online.

@EAN thanks.
So you reckon it's worth finding somewhere to put it when you're driving, and the time taken to fit?
Looks pretty thick & substantial from the pics online.
I’ve got a padded bag, that my wife got from somewhere, and I store it in that between the seats where I have a little basket to put it in and it stays put. Fitting and removing it takes less than a minute and gives me peace of mind. Yes it’s heavy duty.

I’ve got a padded bag, that my wife got from somewhere, and I store it in that between the seats where I have a little basket to put it in and it stays put. Fitting and removing it takes less than a minute and gives me peace of mind. Yes it’s heavy duty.

@EAN
Many thanks. Guess we know what I'll be adding to the "What Have You Bought ..." thread in a few days time :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Reactions: EAN
Back