Spare Wheel Security Lock - confused what to buy?

rainbowdance

hi I've read all the posts but im confused = please help - Id like to buy the cheapest but easiest to install spare type protection lock- what is the best one to recommend to me? I've seen ones for £50 on the campervan spares website but a friend said I could get one on eBay for £20 but theres so many? which ones have worked for you? also im a small bodied solo woman (with some basic tools) and it needs to be easy to install. thanks so much :):):)

The California Club shop has a simple one for £16.49 plus postage. I bought one a year ago (after having my original spare stolen) and still have my spare.
That should be all you need.
Thanks - that was a timely reminder to get one of these. :thumbsup:

it’s also recommended to get something like this to put the bolt in to. Just the security bolt on its own can still be undone with a good pair of grips. I bought one for my van.

This is the security bolt I bought, only £14.99 delivered and seems oem quality. There are 2 different lengths of security bolts depending on your spare wheel size, 52mm thread length and 90mm thread length. The seller above sells both lengths, i have a 16” spare wheel and my original bolt was 52mm thread length.

Last edited:
Reactions: CAB

Recent thread.

The California Club shop has a simple one for £16.49 plus postage. I bought one a year ago (after having my original spare stolen) and still have my spare.
That should be all you need.
Hi thanks but that’s for a VW California and I have a T6? Does it work on a T6?

This is the security bolt I bought, only £14.99 delivered and seems oem quality. There are 2 different lengths of security bolts depending on your spare wheel size, 52mm thread length and 90mm thread length. The seller above sells both lengths, i have a 16” spare wheel and my original bolt was 52mm thread length.
I’m getting confused again with all the information

What’s your spare like? On my old van I had a rusty one which stayed there for 13 years!
No one wanted it obviously lol.
TBH lots of dealers have spare spare wheels which they would probably give you for beer tokens. Just chuck the cheapest lock on, you’ll be fine.

So the bolt is the first step and stops the wheel carrier being lowered with just a standard socket as you need the socket supplied with the bolt to get it undone but unfortunately the bolt is susceptible to a brute force attack and the head of the bolt (which spins) can be crushed and forced undone if someone is persistent or really wants it

The spare safe is the next step which is a chunk of metal that encompasses the head of the bolt and stops this type of brute force attack by limiting access to the security bolt

What’s your spare like? On my old van I had a rusty one which stayed there for 13 years!
No one wanted it obviously lol.
TBH lots of dealers have spare spare wheels which they would probably give you for beer tokens. Just chuck the cheapest lock on, you’ll be fine.
Ha. Will have a look tomorrow. Thank you

While we are the subject my new van came with no spare wheel. I have one now but albeit in the back of the van. Do I just need the pin, carrier and bolt or is there more bits needed??

Yes thats all your missing, the carrier and the pin to hold it in, theres also a little hard foam block that jams against the pin to hold it in place/stop it from rattling

Back