Beefing Up Your Vans Security - How I Done It -

Hi @Texxaco, I have one but the only thing I can say is I’ve still got my van. Couple of screenshots of the app attached. It also texts warnings if it senses the signal is being blockedView attachment 140608View attachment 140609View attachment 140610
hi @Mike23864 appreciate the feedback on this tracker, looks the part but you cant beat real life feedback. Appreciate you taking the time out to send the screen shots and your thoughts.

There are so many options out there with more or less the same pricing structure, its a minefield if you are new to it.

As you still have your van I guess you cant comment on their customer service? Which on other platforms is absolutely shocking in my experience. :whistle:
Not an easy minefield to work through, i would fit one myself but it has to be Thatcham 5 and fitted professionally for my insurance to be valid

As you still have your van I guess you cant comment on their customer service? Which on other platforms is absolutely shocking in my experience. :whistle:
TBH my installer failed to submit the correct paperwork to Vodafone to allow it to be activated. Vodafone were very helpful. They contacted my installer and sorted it all out for me very promptly.

As I see it, the weakness with all physical measures (and some electronic ones) is that they need some sort of key and, if the scrotes are willing to break into your house to get your van keys, then what's to stop them coming back for those keys.

My solution is to keep all the keys in a safe that opens on a timer. With the safe set to open at 9am, no amount of "persuasion" will result in access before daylight (and, a bit like vampires, we all know scrotes hate daylight). This wouldn't necessarily work for everyone - especially daily users - but as a camper-only owner, it works for me.

I don't keep my steering lock key with my van key and Ghost immobiliser uses a code that is in my head. You can have the phone app though.

This should probably be in a thread of its own but it doesn't hurt to bump this one.

So I have a stoplock, tracker & immobiliser on the van itself. Would you beef up the house security?

We thought electric gates & better cctv but got an eye-watering quote. In fact, we're now doing the drive, which was in a desperate state for the same money.

I've been dithering about bollards too.

My actual question here is the cctv, any preferences for makes or suppliers?

My dogs are whippets, so not any use as guard dogs...

So I have a stoplock, tracker & immobiliser on the van itself. Would you beef up the house security?

We thought electric gates & better cctv but got an eye-watering quote. In fact, we're now doing the drive, which was in a desperate state for the same money.

I've been dithering about bollards too.

My actual question here is the cctv, any preferences for makes or suppliers?
We’ve got a tracker, ghost immobiliser and dash cams. We also have anti-ram bollards on the drive and recently added a Ring camera.

We already had a wired outdoor light that was above the drive, so could easily swap to the Ring security camera/light using the existing stuff. We already have the doorbells on the front and back doors, so made sense to stick with the same infrastructure and just add the security camera on so it can be checked easily with the others.

We had it added as we came home one day to find a business van parked on our private drive (doing work at someone else’s house, not ours) and they’d got so close to our previous car, they’d scratched the door and it was a matte paint…

Something very visible. We put a heavy duty wheel clamp on ours when at home. 30 seconds to put on or take off.

Pete

After they tried to have mine off my drive in the autumn of last year but my alarm scared them off I beefed mine up.
As it stands now I've got the factory alarm, a tracker, stearing wheel disc lock, brake block and I've put a Rhino retractible bollard in the drive.
CCTV is all well and good but it doesn't stop it getting stolen and even if you had footage the likelyhood is the police wouldn't do anything anyway.
Obviously the bollard is no use if you're away from home but its the thing that I'm the most happy with.

Put a bollard in if your doing the drive anyway. Place in Birmingham that does a neat but robust solution

As I see it, the weakness with all physical measures (and some electronic ones) is that they need some sort of key and, if the scrotes are willing to break into your house to get your van keys, then what's to stop them coming back for those keys.

My solution is to keep all the keys in a safe that opens on a timer. With the safe set to open at 9am, no amount of "persuasion" will result in access before daylight (and, a bit like vampires, we all know scrotes hate daylight). This wouldn't necessarily work for everyone - especially daily users - but as a camper-only owner, it works for me.
Interesting viewpoint this one of having the keys inaccessible at certain times. Looking back I can see this being a right bugger for me in the various 'emergencies' I get called to in our family!

Also, when the neighbour's house catches fire and you can't move your pride & joy out of harm's way until 09:00 might be a bit annoying!

Interesting viewpoint this one of having the keys inaccessible at certain times. Looking back I can see this being a right bugger for me in the various 'emergencies' I get called to in our family!

Also, when the neighbour's house catches fire and you can't move your pride & joy out of harm's way until 09:00 might be a bit annoying!
Yeah, as I a say, it wouldn't work for everyone - especially if your neighbours are pyromaniacs ;)

Just hide the keys then tell the scrotes they're in the safe?

I always take my keys, phone and wallet to bed with me without fail. Nobody is taking those without me knowing. Learnt the hard way after being burgled while asleep a few years back.
If it's just one standing by my bed asking for the keys then I'd fancy my chances. 4 of them then it's here, take 'em. Then I'd phone the police then the vans tracker and disable the van once they're down the road. My van isn't anything special so I doubt I'd be targeted. It's just the opportunists and the desperate I try and thwart.

Just hide the keys then tell the scrotes they're in the safe?
Hopefully this all remains in the realms of fevered speculation, but if I or mine were threatened with violence I'd tell them where the keys were. Difference being, if they're in the safe, they ain't coming out.

Just got mobile broadband from EE for mine. 120GB for 12 months, with the modem, £89.99. That and a battery stickup cam from Ring, for when we leave the van on site. Just means I can log in and check on it - video footage is uploaded to the cloud. In addition to the tracker (etc) have also hidden an old iPhone and connected that to the WiFi so I can track it.

Same here...

I got the ring cam up front, and also one in the back.

I pay for the remote recording at Ring.

Connected to the van wifi.

So it's recording on motion Detection and will send alerts to the phone if I switch that one.

Ring cams are battery powered, usb rechargeable and last 1week to 3weeks depending.on the activity.

Screenshot_20220526-141616_Ring.jpgScreenshot_20220526-141636_Ring.jpg

Edit..

Screenshot_20220526-145938_Ring.jpgScreenshot_20220526-150008_Ring.jpg

Last edited:
Back