AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Its a trend line, buttons for clock,milage are on the bottom of the dash
My mistake bottom left of the cluster try pressing it the hours of the clock will change then the minutes then the adblue mileage pops up on mine. Mpg, miles to fill up etc are on the right hand stalk but adblue on the clock button.

Cheers Lee

My mistake bottom left of the cluster try pressing it the hours of the clock will change then the minutes then the adblue mileage pops up on mine. Mpg, miles to fill up etc are on the right hand stalk but adblue on the clock button.

Cheers Lee
Cheers mate, just tried it but didn't show a thing, must of been mappe out or a fault, I've done 9000 miles no issues, I'll just carry on driving it

After some help please, I've had my 2017 T6 just over a year, I've done 9000 miles, I've never put adblue in and its never shown up on the dash, what's the range of it, I don't think it would of been mappe out as it was a hire van before I bought it, its a 105bhp
If it’s a 2017 it could be one of the last non-adblue models, especially if it’s ex trade. Does it have an adblue tank filler under the diesel filler cap?

After some help please, I've had my 2017 T6 just over a year, I've done 9000 miles, I've never put adblue in and its never shown up on the dash, what's the range of it, I don't think it would of been mappe out as it was a hire van before I bought it, its a 105bhp
to see the adblue range - try this vid from 2:02..

hi
i have a T6.1 2021 caravelle and the add blue Range hasn't dropped since collecting and now covered 5000 miles and the range is still the same .
14000ml

hi
i have a T6.1 2021 caravelle and the add blue Range hasn't dropped since collecting and now covered 5000 miles and the range is still the same .
14000ml
Sounds like you have the new improved bigger bucket of adblue installed. My 2020 was probably one of the last ones to have a 6500 max range in the adblue tank. What is the suggested top up value on your display? I'm thinking the initial range from full on the newer vans was 20,000 ish miles, please correct me folks!

Last edited:
Morning all. i have been steadily reading through this thread with interest. I will hopefully be picking up my, new to me, T6 camper van Monday week. It is a 2019 T6, T30, Highline with the 150 engine and manual gearbox. It also has Ad Blue and this will be my first experience of running a vehicle with this system.

The question I would like to ask is, is there any way of finding out whether my van has had the update mentioned here regarding Ad Blue range after filling issues or given that it is a May 2019 registered model, could I assume that it would have been done automatically at point of manufacture, IE the update was required for earlier T6`s?

Also, am I correct in assuming that if the digital display tells you you need to top up between 7 and 10 litres for example, then you must top up ONLY that amount? Any more or less than those two amounts means the system wont recognise the top up and the engine could possibly not start? More than 10 litres would "over fill" the Ad-Blue tank and too little would not be enough for the system to recognise a top up?

At 60 pages long I am slowly working my way through the thread but it has already thrown up some questions in my mind.

Many thanks in advance for any help, pointers or advice you can give.

Rick.

Last edited:
Don't buy 5 litres of Adblue from Marks and Expensive for £23.99 is my advice! I needed a 7 litre max top up, so I added 5 litres (quite rare round our way) it registered straight away with no fuss and bother giving me an extra 2000 miles. 2020 T6.1. Didn't think to ask how much it was (tw4t), just threw it at the chap behind the counter having filled up with the 'good fuel'.

Another question if I may, on one of the earlier pages it was queried about whether a poster had had the ignition on, dash lights on but engine off, when refilling the Ad-blue.
Does this make any difference? Does it enable the system to recognise the tank has been topped up or refilled immediately and therefore stop any misreading by the system?

I purchased me new T6.1 (72 Plate) in September 2022 and the Adblue range was 7200 miles. I have only just got a message on the VW app to say that my Adblue range is now 1,118 miles. I have covered 10,904 miles. I was 'given' a 1 litre bottle by the salesman when I picked up my new vehicle and stored it in the door bin. I am now unsure of using this and whether I should go to a pump as this seems to be the favoured method of filling up. Looking for pumps near me - Crawley, West Sussex. Anything I should know before attempting to fill up?
Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kind regards,

David

Strangely I was just looking that up for myself…..”Due to the limited durability of AdBlue®, AdBlue® has a 2 year lifespan from date of production. It is essential that AdBlue®is stored between minus 5 degrees and 20 degrees Celsius. AdBlue® can decompose if it is stored at 30 degrees or more for extended periods of time - ammonia can form in such instances.”

Personally I would buy fresh.

Thanks, as I was looking to dispose of it and use fresh. Gone are the days of just filling up with fuel and driving without a worry in the world. Now we have to be the 'caretakers' of our vehicles and if we make a mistake it hits our pockets in the long run. :)

Afternoon all, looking for a bit of advice as, after having gone through quite a few pages on this thread, Im still a bit unsure.

Im hoping to drive down to southern Spain next month for a couple of weeks.

My current Ad Blue reading tells me I will have to top up in 3000 miles. Now, given that just heading down there and turning straight back is a round trip of nearly 3000 miles and thats without any running around etc when Im down there, can I top up before the system tells me I need to and before I leave for Spain? Or should I wait for the warning light to come on first, which will be somewhere down in Spain, as some people on here seem to suggest? If I did top up with the amount shown on the dashboard display now, then will the system and computer recognise the "early" top up and reset itself to full?

I've read on here of people topping up every time they fill the diesel tank whilst others wait until the last 500 ad blue miles!!

I've attached a couple of pics, one in miles / gallons and the other in kilometres / litres.

Cheers for any advice or experiences shared if you have done the early top up.

Rick.

IMG_7857.jpgIMG_7856.jpg

Just top up not adding more than the max value. The gauge will update automatically. If worried take 1 or 2 litres with you.
Cheers for that. Yes, I will probably end up giving that a go and top up before I leave. If I muck it up then I`d rather do it here than down in southern Spain.

Am I right in thinking that you also have to have the stage one ignition ON whilst topping up? Or, the ignition off, BUT, after topping up, switch it on to stage one (dash lights only), leave for thirty seconds to allow the system to sort itself out and recognise the top up, then you can start the engine?

Afternoon all, looking for a bit of advice as, after having gone through quite a few pages on this thread, Im still a bit unsure.

My current Ad Blue reading tells me I will have to top up in 3000 miles. Now, given that just heading down there and turning straight back is a round trip of nearly 3000 miles and thats without any running around etc when Im down there, can I top up before the system tells me I need to and before I leave for Spain? Or should I wait for the warning light to come on first, which will be somewhere down in Spain, as some people on here seem to suggest? If I did top up with the amount shown on the dashboard display now, then will the system and computer recognise the "early" top up and reset itself to full?

I've read on here of people topping up every time they fill the diesel tank whilst others wait until the last 500 ad blue miles!!

I've attached a couple of pics, one in miles / gallons and the other in kilometres / litres.

Rick.

View attachment 237702View attachment 237703
I would put 5l in now to save

Rick.

View attachment 237702View attachment 237703
I would put 5l in now to save filling over there but I have filled up with light of and on. As long as you run through reset on starting again I don’t think it makes any difference.

Or, the ignition off, BUT, after topping up, switch it on to stage one (dash lights only), leave for thirty seconds to allow the system to sort itself out and recognise the top up, then you can start the engine?
This^^^^^^^^^^
Yes, I will probably end up giving that a go and top up before I leave. If I muck it up then I`d rather do it here than down in southern Spain.
We’ve filled up in Spain & Portugal before, Ad-blue is cheaper there & widely available at the pump.

Back