AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Hi everyone.

New to the forum, lots of great advice here it seems! I just bought a 2019 (2018 reg) T6 Caravelle and I love it!!

Yesterday I filled the adblue tank 8 litres, however the refill failed to register and I got the countdown clock of death! I went to VW in Nice (France), who tried to reset it, but couldn’t immediately find the solution and since they had to go on lunch break, told me they can take it in for repair in 3 weeks, when they have their next available appointment. I need to get back to Denmark this weekend and have 20kms left before the engine won’t start.

I am thinking of the following three options:

1) hope that the issue clears after driving another 200kms to where we’re staying tonight. My Passat always takes ages to update the adblue status after filling and I have seen posts on the forum that it can take incredibly long with the T6.

2) jump / bump start it downhill - can I do this in a T6 (it’s a manual).

3) call to get it towed, and hope my insurance can find me a one way rental that will fit dog and equipment in the next 24 hours.

Thanks for any input!!!
When you put in the 8litres, how much was it asking for?

Thought you probably had, it's just the thing I forget to do. I had a T6 that struggled when refilled. As asked above, did you put the right amount in?

It's probably the sensor having a hissy fit.

Other than joining VW Assist and getting it recovered...I'm not much help.

My T6 used to recover after driving for a few miles and it was ok but did have the sensor changed, I think. My new van did not recover and I had 5 hours on non-motorway roads getting home (couldn't be asked with being recovered a long way from home with 3 dogs) with the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree. That was an adblue pump failure.

Last edited:
Not much you can do but once it's started don't turn it off until you get home or the gauge updates

After some help please, I've had my 2017 T6 just over a year, I've done 9000 miles, I've never put adblue in and its never shown up on the dash, what's the range of it, I don't think it would of been mappe out as it was a hire van before I bought it, its a 105bhp

After some help please, I've had my 2017 T6 just over a year, I've done 9000 miles, I've never put adblue in and its never shown up on the dash, what's the range of it, I don't think it would of been mappe out as it was a hire van before I bought it, its a 105bhp

It’s always on the dash - nothing when you scroll through

What model do you have? If its a start line you need to push the clock adjust button, top left of the cluster twice or three times and it will give you your adblue range on the dash.

Cheers Lee
Its a trend line, buttons for clock,milage are on the bottom of the dash

Back