AdBlue Discussion and Issues

More importantly, have they updated their map to take into account the changes in the VW update?
They've just got back to me, can add the new software and re do the map, will cost £50. Or £100 to put it back on the dyno as well.

Aldi have Carlube adblue 10L outside tonight - website says £8.99. I would have bought some if I hadn’t got from screwfix earlier in the week.

Do these error codes clear themselves after a period of time? Long story short, my local independent advised me after a service before Christmas that there were SCR faults logged relevant to TPI 2054601 - which I now understand is this adblue software update. Booked it into VW Liverpool, who said there were no faults logged anymore and weren't going to take it any further. Because the vans still under warranty I think I am in a position to insist its updated anyway but trying to get it done is proving hard work.

Do these error codes clear themselves after a period of time?
No, they won't clear themselves (completely). However, after about 300 km (about 5 hours) the faults are moved to "history log" in ECU - obviously because the fault clearly is not active anymore. This is the reason why VW's ODIS does not show them anymore.

Anyways, they still can be seen in ECU's history log - as long as manually/explicitly cleared. The "disappeared" faults can be read with VCDS or OBDeleven - unfortunately this extract usually is not recognized as "evidence" unless...

So, I've just had this issue today... 15 miles in to a 170 mile round trip my Check Engine Light came on, not having my VCDS or OBDII dongle with me I was unable to check anything there and then so continued the journey, at around the 100 mile mark coming back through Leeds the dash pinged and came up with AdBlue 650 miles range warning, now I distinctly remember the range being 4000 miles when I started the van this morning so where did that come from?
On my return home I got VCDS out and did a check, I don't have the exact wording to hand but one of the fault codes said something like AdBlue Urea quality 0.0%, so I'm guessing my AdBlue had neither any Ad nor Blue in it by the look of it.
Now my van has only 7000 miles on the clock, I bought it in December 2018 with 3800 odd miles on it so given that a full adblue tank range is allegedly around 6500 miles and I have only added the dregs out of a bottle of the stuff from one of the vans at work, I suspect that what was in it could actually be the original fill from new, van is an April 2017 reg.
So I borrowed a suction pump and had a go at draining what was left in the tank out, I got about a litre of cloudy liquid out of it, and replaced that with a litre of warm water to dissolve any crystals that might have formed and drained it again, this time getting 1.2 litres out (is there a device to stop you getting a tube down into the tank? It never seemed to get a solid suck on liquid, always a mix of air and liquid.) and then I tried to fill it with the contents of a 10 litre bottle of adblue I have just purchased at the local Esso garage tonight.
The filler started overflowing at around 7 litres so I can't be sure I had fully emptied the tank.
I drained half a litre out again to give the level sensor a fighting chance and closed it up, washed off the overfill and turned the ignition on and waited..... 30 seconds, a minute no change on the dash.. 600 miles range on the adblue.
Decided to take it out for a run, and about 10 miles in the warnings stopped, on return home the adblue range is back to 6500 so something I have done has fixed it, we'll see for how long.

So, I've just had this issue today... 15 miles in to a 170 mile round trip my Check Engine Light came on, not having my VCDS or OBDII dongle with me I was unable to check anything there and then so continued the journey, at around the 100 mile mark coming back through Leeds the dash pinged and came up with AdBlue 650 miles range warning, now I distinctly remember the range being 4000 miles when I started the van this morning so where did that come from?
On my return home I got VCDS out and did a check, I don't have the exact wording to hand but one of the fault codes said something like AdBlue Urea quality 0.0%, so I'm guessing my AdBlue had neither any Ad nor Blue in it by the look of it.
Now my van has only 7000 miles on the clock, I bought it in December 2018 with 3800 odd miles on it so given that a full adblue tank range is allegedly around 6500 miles and I have only added the dregs out of a bottle of the stuff from one of the vans at work, I suspect that what was in it could actually be the original fill from new, van is an April 2017 reg.
So I borrowed a suction pump and had a go at draining what was left in the tank out, I got about a litre of cloudy liquid out of it, and replaced that with a litre of warm water to dissolve any crystals that might have formed and drained it again, this time getting 1.2 litres out (is there a device to stop you getting a tube down into the tank? It never seemed to get a solid suck on liquid, always a mix of air and liquid.) and then I tried to fill it with the contents of a 10 litre bottle of adblue I have just purchased at the local Esso garage tonight.
The filler started overflowing at around 7 litres so I can't be sure I had fully emptied the tank.
I drained half a litre out again to give the level sensor a fighting chance and closed it up, washed off the overfill and turned the ignition on and waited..... 30 seconds, a minute no change on the dash.. 600 miles range on the adblue.
Decided to take it out for a run, and about 10 miles in the warnings stopped, on return home the adblue range is back to 6500 so something I have done has fixed it, we'll see for how long.
I used to get that quite a bit. I read about cleaning the injector so I took that out and cleaned it each time and then drove for a few miles for it to reset. I assumed it was the injector but in reality I probably could’ve just done nothing and driven it about and it’d reset.

Reactions: mmi
After 7 EGR flushes during the warranty period the EML light is now back on again. The van is out of warranty now but clearly it’s an ongoing issue. I’ve lost all enthusiasm for it now.

I would put it back in to the same dealer and see if they recommend another flush or replacement. It will be very suspicious and challengeable if when it is at your cost they recommend an EGR replacement rather than then having done the right thing during warranty.

That’s the plan @Broadside, it’s booked in on the 30th of June, if it doesn’t catch fire before then :rofl:
I have called out Roadside Assist i think 4 times now and it has been in the dealer 3 times for EGR flush & software update. My warranty runs out in May next year so wondering if I ought to be contacting VWCVUK to work out what happens when it happens outside warranty.

I have called out Roadside Assist i think 4 times now and it has been in the dealer 3 times for EGR flush & software update. My warranty runs out in May next year so wondering if I ought to be contacting VWCVUK to work out what happens when it happens outside warranty.
Apparently there is an offer for extended warranty plus service plan? May be worth considering.

After 7 EGR flushes during the warranty period the EML light is now back on again. The van is out of warranty now but clearly it’s an ongoing issue. I’ve lost all enthusiasm for it now.
Looks like you've got exactly the same model as me. I fitted blanks on the exhaust side of the EGR, isolated it and had it coded out.

No more issues and better fuel economy.

Plus you can just remove the blanks and flash it back to standard once you come to sell it.

I have buddy.
What about ad blue?
Are you travelling abroad?
How about MOT? Are you not concerned it will not pass? I have no knowledge on what exactly is checked on MOT - just asking.
I am assuming this is not legal to delete EGR, DPF and AdBlue.
Can you still have the ad blue monitor giving some random data on MFD between the speedo and revs on the dash?

I keep also getting the P20EE00 fault every few hundred miles - got it 3 times now since I bought it. had the software update by VW dealer last autumn and now it appeared again. the van drives ok and fuel economy is I believe normal for it according to my research on that topic.

I want to get rid of the problem and keep my engine in good condition but ideally without becoming a convict at the same time :p

had the software update by VW dealer last autumn and now it appeared again.
Could you please post more details about your engine?
Ideally VCDS or OBDeleven full scan, or Carista "Detailed ECU info"?

You can fill as much as you want.
Just don't spill it on the ground and vehicle bodywork.
There is no such a thing as overfilling adblue tank!
Whoever says so has very limited knowledge about the principles of ultrasonics and electronics in general.
Take no notice of this comment,I’m no expert , follow the manual and you can’t go wrong , why do something which is opposite to what the manual and a million people on here say, by the way a friend of mine overfilled and brimmed it, what a night mare he had afterwards, end of

It bugs me that the display flashes up continuously with 600 miles left.. it asks you to fill with a minimum of 2.75 gallons and maximum of 3 gallons.. so thats roughly 12.5 litres to 13.5 litres..

But I can only seem to buy it in 10 litres or 5 litre bottles.. so inevitably end up with 2 to 3 litres waste

It bugs me that the display flashes up continuously with 600 miles left.. it asks you to fill with a minimum of 2.75 gallons and maximum of 3 gallons.. so thats roughly 12.5 litres to 13.5 litres..

But I can only seem to buy it in 10 litres or 5 litre bottles.. so inevitably end up with 2 to 3 litres waste
Or you could just fill it up at the pump & pay half the price & have no leftovers

Back