AdBlue Discussion and Issues

Not that I'm aware of.
Do I need it ?
I have been told that quite a few gremlins were evicted from the ECU when the software update moved in. This AdBlue range gremlin should have been one of them - that's why I'm interested which software version is in there - to see I have not been "misinformed".

Difficult to say if you "need" it - especially if you are not having problems. I have driven only 10.000 km with the new software so don't know new gremlins there but so far so good - and some noticeable improvements measured... report to follow at some point.

I had this a few times and it popped up more and more often and then was accompanied with an engine light. Mine was EGR flow insufficient which pushed the NOx levels too high for the Adblue to cope. Put a new EGR in eventually.
Did you replace EGR cooler only or complete unit?

Reactions: mmi
After letting the adblue get down to less than 600 miles range, my monochrome MFD displayed colour at the seriousness of my behaviour!

Ad Blue MFD.jpg
Who knew, the mono MFD can display colour! Not seen this mentioned on here at all. Someone else must have got this low, surely?

After letting the adblue get down to less than 600 miles range, my monochrome MFD displayed colour at the seriousness of my behaviour!

View attachment 97813
Who knew, the mono MFD can display colour! Not seen this mentioned on here at all. Someone else must have got this low, surely?

I’ve got the same display on mine and usually wait until the orange bottle before I put 10L in.

I thought it starts playing up if it’s allowed go this low?

I’ve got the same display on mine and usually wait until the orange bottle before I put 10L in.

I'd not let mine get this low before. I always leave it until I can get a whole 10 litres in. I was resisting paying £20 for 10 litres of Ad-Blue at the A34 services after being tucked up for £1.24 per litre of diesel. Luckily I made it to a cheap Tesco to brim with diesel, and Toolstation for £10 for 10 litres of Ad-Blue.

@JOG I've not heard of issues letting it get low, but I did sit there getting slightly worried, after filling the Ad-Blue as I turned the key to let it wait to register the top up, it started grizzling about "500 miles to no start you loser"..... then after about 10 seconds it updated to 3500 miles Ad-Blue range. Phew.

I've kept an eye on this thread, but to date mine has been faultless around DEF. No errors, lights, or updates. 2017PV, 35K miles. Mix of town and motorway. I can't understand how the quality can be so variable, that so many people from new have no end of repeated trouble, and others have no issues whatsoever.

That said, mine has been in several time for noise form the front of engine. They've changed the tensioner twice now, sounds like water pump or alternator. Booked in again on the 20th...

View attachment 97813
Makes me feel like I should let mine run seriously low now just for the joy of colour in the MFD.

Last edited:
I'd not let mine get this low before. I always leave it until I can get a whole 10 litres in. I was resisting paying £20 for 10 litres of Ad-Blue at the A34 services after being tucked up for £1.24 per litre of diesel. Luckily I made it to a cheap Tesco to brim with diesel, and Toolstation for £10 for 10 litres of Ad-Blue.

@JOG I've not heard of issues letting it get low, but I did sit there getting slightly worried, after filling the Ad-Blue as I turned the key to let it wait to register the top up, it started grizzling about "500 miles to no start you loser"..... then after about 10 seconds it updated to 3500 miles Ad-Blue range. Phew.

I've kept an eye on this thread, but to date mine has been faultless around DEF. No errors, lights, or updates. 2017PV, 35K miles. Mix of town and motorway. I can't understand how the quality can be so variable, that so many people from new have no end of repeated trouble, and others have no issues whatsoever.

That said, mine has been in several time for noise form the front of engine. They've changed the tensioner twice now, sounds like water pump or alternator. Booked in again on the 20th...
A few weeks ago, someone posted a link to a deal which was about £7 for 10 litres. So, many of us bought 30 litres to get the “free delivery over £20” offer! Now we are looking at our tubs of ad blue, going nowhere in lockdown and questioning shelf-life!!!

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
A few weeks ago, someone posted a link to a deal which was about £7 for 10 litres. So, many of us bought 30 litres to get the “free delivery over £20” offer! Now we are looking at our tubs of ad blue, going nowhere in lockdown and questioning shelf-life!!!
Snap, sat taking up a load of room in the garage.

Ha ha ha! I gave a tub to a neighbour and had my young lad hoike it up into the garage loft....nearly killed him!
If you have taught him well he will have invoiced you for the works @JOG

If you have taught him well he will have invoiced you for the works @JOG
Of course, he attempted a negotiation but he got a “look” from me! Unbeaten, he went over my head to his mother and negotiated the snack he would have after “the job”....ah, my cold heart swelled with pride to see such a mercenary, capitalist running-pig in the making!

Or you can just treat yourself to an Adblue fault and you can see it in full technicolour! :whistle:
It might be a while mine still says 4,000 miles until it needs topping up. Unlike my Audi which drunk it like beer :unsure:

Strange behaviour yesterday. 2017 T6 150.
On my way back from a client an adblue warning appeared on the MFD - 650 miles remaining before no start.
Very strange as I had covered less than 300 miles since adding 10l of adblue.
Warning continued popping up periodically on the MFD as a I drove on. About 5-10 miles later it then disappeared with the adblue display showing 5500miles.
Random or a warning of trouble ahead?

Strange behaviour yesterday. 2017 T6 150.
On my way back from a client an adblue warning appeared on the MFD - 650 miles remaining before no start.
Very strange as I had covered less than 300 miles since adding 10l of adblue.
Warning continued popping up periodically on the MFD as a I drove on. About 5-10 miles later it then disappeared with the adblue display showing 5500miles.
Random or a warning of trouble ahead?
I had this and it got more and more frequent, and took longer to clear each time, so I got nearer and nearer to the ‘0 miles before no restart’ deadline.

For me, it was the efficiency of the Adblue (reductant) system as the EGR was struggling (as they both reduce NOx).

Put a new EGR on and it’s been good as gold since!:thumbsup:

Back