AdBlue Discussion and Issues

The common factor in all these spurious warnings is the display of 650 miles not anything else which interesting. What you can do with the fact though I don't know. Software issue possibly?

I had this and it got more and more frequent, and took longer to clear each time, so I got nearer and nearer to the ‘0 miles before no restart’ deadline.

For me, it was the efficiency of the Adblue (reductant) system as the EGR was struggling (as they both reduce NOx).

Put a new EGR on and it’s been good as gold since!:thumbsup:

Only have 25k miles on my van. At what mileage did you experience your problems?

Does everyone get the 6000 miles to go untill next top up sign after filling? Reason i ask is whenever i top up my ad blu( saturday i put 10 litres in) I've only ever had 3500 miles till refill. Just wondering if its an issue or not most people seem to get 5-6k between fill ups. I'm filling up every other month at the minute as it's my daily driver. Cheers

With updated engine control unit software Adblue consumption increases and therefore predicted range reduces.

Reactions: mmi
With updated engine control unit software Adblue consumption increases and therefore predicted range reduces.
I wonder if my van has had the upgrade then before my ownership, is there a way of telling if it's had the upgrade? Cheers for the reply

VCDS, Carista, OBDeleven.
Have you got any of these?
You can read advanced details from engine control unit.

VCDS, Carista, OBDeleven.
Have you got any of these?
You can read advanced details from engine control unit.
Yes have obdeleven

Just checked, apparently i have software version 4047. It also says a new version 6163 exists, so guessing it hasnt been updated.

Last edited:
Mine definitely says 6000 when full albeit it has only been topped up once in two years of ownership and 10k miles. I think it currently says 2k remaining so will probably last another year if travel restrictions remain in place !!

Mine also only says 3500 miles to go after a full top up, however it still says 3500 left after almost 1000 miles, so I suspect as well as using more Adblue after the update, it also has a tendency to be pessimistic.

Yes have obdeleven

Just checked, apparently i have software version 4047. It also says a new version 6163 exists, so guessing it hasnt been updated.
Please post full scan of engine (01) + gearbox (02) + 4AWD (22) sections. The version alone doesn't (always) unambiguously define what's the actual software (e.g. 04L906056KA) is as it depends on vehicle's configuration.

However, possibly this one --> https://www.t6forum.com/threads/eml-light-on-vcds-scan-implies-an-scr-fault.20638/post-341077

Please post full scan of engine (01) + gearbox (02) + 4AWD (22) sections. The version alone doesn't (always) unambiguously define what's the actual software (e.g. 04L906056KA) is as it depends on vehicle's configuration.

However, possibly this one --> https://www.t6forum.com/threads/eml-light-on-vcds-scan-implies-an-scr-fault.20638/post-341077
Thanks, will do a scan and post asap. My van isn't a 4wd so it won't have section 22. My van is out of warranty next month, so will need to act fast for an update, although don't like the sound of using even more adblue! Also have had my van remapped, don't want vw to wipe that either. :eek:

Thanks, will do a scan and post asap. My van isn't a 4wd so it won't have section 22. My van is out of warranty next month, so will need to act fast for an update, although don't like the sound of using even more adblue! Also have had my van remapped, don't want vw to wipe that either. :eek:
As you’ve had a remap already, I suspect VW will declare the remainder of your warranty void anyway! I’m not saying they’re right or wrong....!

Attachments

• historyobd.pdf
    63.8 KB · Views: 14
Thanks. Yes indeed VW would update 04L906056KA / 4047 with 6163.

Less frequent DPF regens might alleviate that ;)
Yes that i would be happy with. Do you just have to contact vw for an update do you know?

Yea thought it might, have just message the company that did it to see if they can do a software update or if they can remove the map and replace after update. :oops:
More importantly, have they updated their map to take into account the changes in the VW update?

Back