Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So mine is a 2019 T6 camper conversion classed N1 ‘Van with windows’ (VED £260 and lower speed limits) Are earlier conversions classed ‘Motor Caravans’ M1? And what are Caravelles classed? Does M1 attract higher Road Tax?

Grab a beer / coffee / smoothie (delete as appropriate) and settle down comfortably......

In a nutshell...
It’s all explained here. (Courtesy of someone else) I’ve printed it off and keep it in the cab should I be stopped. Or electronically should I get a NIP.
4A1870E0-D10C-4776-B4CE-B78138B89228.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
My comments on this thread are in relation to my recent speeding offence (court, big fine lots of points for not slowing quick enough from a 60 to a 30 zone in open country). My solicitor and I discussed my T6 ‘van with windows’ V5 & he pointed out that it is the ‘category’ that is the speed trigger not the ‘body type’ (as per the DVLA letter from @Oldrat). He advised I drive my campervan in accordance with N1 Light Goods Vehicle regulations at slower speed limits. My question stands: Are the older van conversions that did get reclassified (motor caravan) showing category M1 - ie drive me like a car?

My comments on this thread are in relation to my recent speeding offence (court, big fine lots of points for not slowing quick enough from a 60 to a 30 zone in open country). My solicitor and I discussed my T6 ‘van with windows’ V5 & he pointed out that it is the ‘category’ that is the speed trigger not the ‘body type’ (as per the DVLA letter from @Oldrat). He advised I drive my campervan in accordance with N1 Light Goods Vehicle regulations at slower speed limits. My question stands: Are the older van conversions that did get reclassified (motor caravan) showing category M1 - ie drive me like a car?
I converted a T5 and had it changed to Motor caravan. But was still N1
when I converted my T6 to same spec it was refused and given “van with windows”
The N1 catagory cannot be changed once registered from new

Either I've misunderstood your post or you were prosecuted for exceeding a 30 mph speed limit.
If I've got that right then the 30 limit is the same for every class of vehicle.

@DaveD I did and your right. My dashcam was analysed and I was doing over 50 in the 60 zone just prior. Although not picked up by the camera van it provoked discussion on speed limits of my van (a light goods vehicle). Right or wrong etc. Be warned he clocked me at range - about 800m going too fast past the 30 threshold grrrr!

I was driving around in my LR Defender for the first year without realising I had these restrictions as well.

Seems strange that you can get a van converted to a "Motor Caravan" and the restrictions no longer apply. Same van, same suspension/handling, weight close to maximum, etc., so why is it suddenly perceived by the law as safer to drive it 10mph faster on single/dual carriageways (or, more to the point, less safe to drive it as a van at the same speed)?
Only some defenders . my
110 xs csw has the higher speed limits

Only some defenders . my
110 xs csw has the higher speed limits
Mine was a 2014 110 XS - top spec at the time but it was registered as a commercial vehicle - benefited from the lower road fund licence at the time but gave me the lower speed limits. Sadly I traded it in for a Discovery Sport a couple of years ago - love the Disco but wish I still had my Defender :(

Mine was a 2014 110 XS - top spec at the time but it was registered as a commercial vehicle - benefited from the lower road fund licence at the time but gave me the lower speed limits. Sadly I traded it in for a Discovery Sport a couple of years ago - love the Disco but wish I still had my Defender :(
I presume this applies to the Transporter then? Registered as a light goods vehicle/commercial gets lower speed limits and lower road fund licence and vice versa. I have a friend with a Cali, she pays nearly £500 road tax! Which means if a petition to increase the speed limits is successful, then the road tax is likely to go up (??)

I presume this applies to the Transporter then? Registered as a light goods vehicle/commercial gets lower speed limits and lower road fund licence and vice versa. I have a friend with a Cali, she pays nearly £500 road tax! Which means if a petition to increase the speed limits is successful, then the road tax is likely to go up (??)
The government tried to have Motorhomes pay road tax on emissions but the industry kicked up a big fuss, it hit new vehicle sales (vat) so they reverted back to fixed fee. Until they come up with a better scheme. I am sure we will all get rolled into any new guidelines o_O

In a nutshell...
It’s all explained here. (Courtesy of someone elseView attachment 97208) I’ve printed it off and keep it in the cab should I be stopped. Or electronically should I get a NIP.

Got my very own copy from the DVLA of the same as @Oldrat posted.
So my T30 "Van with Windows" that has been converted into a camper from the original Vw supplied "Panel Van" can now drive at 60mph on a single carriageway and 70mph on a dual carriageway, with some sort of official paperwork to prove.
A speed camera may and probably will zap me, that will then end up with a NIP, but at least now I am armed with proper info to contest it.

1609877437249.png

1609877527538.png

Last edited:
Got my very own copy from the DVLA of the same as @Oldrat posted.
So my T30 "Van with Windows" that has been converted into a camper from the original Vw supplied "Panel Van" can now drive at 60mph on a single carriageway and 70mph on a dual carriageway, with some sort of official paperwork to prove.
A speed camera may and probably will zap me, that will then end up with a NIP, but at least now I am armed with proper info to contest it.

View attachment 97562

View attachment 97563
Did you get that as a result of appealing a NIP or ???

Did you get that as a result of appealing a NIP or ???

No NIP or anything else...

Just sent an online message to the DfT who sent it to DVLA asking for clarification and quoting @Oldrat 's post details
Sent PM on the 2nd Jan, reply received today.
Not bad for a government department!!

Reactions: CAB
Just checking through my rejection letter from the DVLA in September 2019, it confirms that i have "converted the interior of the vehicle with living facilities associated with a motorcaravan" and "it is important to remember that you are still able to use the vehicle for motor caravan purposes"
Glad to see they are still using the same wording from over a year ago :)
InkedInkedDVLA Motorcaran Reject 1 - Copy_LI.jpgDVLA Motorcaran Reject 2.jpeg

Last edited:
No NIP or anything else...

Just sent an online message to the DfT who sent it to DVLA asking for clarification and quoting @Oldrat 's post details
Sent PM on the 2nd Jan, reply received today.
Not bad for a government department!!
I wouldn’t mind doing this do you have a link please? I can’t find it :/

@moomin-j. @Oldrat. Would one of you be kind enough to let me have a link to the template that Moonim refers to above please. I used the search facility to no avail and probably haven't got enough time left to wade through the threads again. Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back