Speed limited ex-RAC Van (it's not the ECU!)

lara279

Hello hello! We have recently bought a ex-RAC van and sent it into the workshop for a couple of things. Whilst it was there we asked them to remove the speed limiter, ie. remap the ECU. Unfortunately it has not worked. The workshop is adamant that it is not ECU related now and that there must be another device limiting the speed (to 70mph). Has anyone experienced this and can give us any tips on what we are looking for???

Thank you in advance

Hello hello! We have recently bought a ex-RAC van and sent it into the workshop for a couple of things. Whilst it was there we asked them to remove the speed limiter, ie. remap the ECU. Unfortunately it has not worked. The workshop is adamant that it is not ECU related now and that there must be another device limiting the speed (to 70mph). Has anyone experienced this and can give us any tips on what we are looking for???

Thank you in advance
I had an ex gas board VW Caddy Maxi that also had a 70mph restrictor on it I took it to a company up north and the guy plugged in his laptop and removed the restrictor in about 2 minutes flat no remap involved I believe there is a guy in Sheffield who takes them off for £20.

If they're sure it's not the ECU, which it usually is, then check above the throttle pedal for an added control box that taps into the loom for the pedal

As a current RAC T6 operator, the limiter is definitely in the engine ecu.
Thank you for replying! That's interesting. Obviously I only have these guys word for it. Part of the reason I thought it sounded feasible was that I found another thread on here where someone with an ex-RAC van had a autokontrol drive by wire limiter (a black box he had to disconnect behind the radio) - although there is nothing like this on our van. Sounds like, based on your comment, we need to find someone else to have another look at the mapping.

I had an ex gas board VW Caddy Maxi that also had a 70mph restrictor on it I took it to a company up north and the guy plugged in his laptop and removed the restrictor in about 2 minutes flat no remap involved I believe there is a guy in Sheffield who takes them off for £20.
You don't happen to have their details do you?

Hello everyone - thank you very much for taking the time to comment. An update for the benefit of anyone who might be interested;

@Salty Spuds very kindly offered to take a look with his VCDS. He may need to correct my terminology here but I'll try and give you the gist. There was no speed limitation in the general engine mapping but there was a separate adaptation (I think that's what it was called) which was limiting it to 112kmph. Once that was edited up, we no longer have a problem and she flies along. I guess the garage who thought they had fixed it didn't actually look to see if there was a speed limitation in the engine mapping and just did some kind of override with standard mapping settings and expected that to sort the issue.

Thanks again everyone and especially @Salty Spuds for being so generous with his time and equipment.

Hello everyone - thank you very much for taking the time to comment. An update for the benefit of anyone who might be interested;

@Salty Spuds very kindly offered to take a look with his VCDS. He may need to correct my terminology here but I'll try and give you the gist. There was no speed limitation in the general engine mapping but there was a separate adaptation (I think that's what it was called) which was limiting it to 112kmph. Once that was edited up, we no longer have a problem and she flies along. I guess the garage who thought they had fixed it didn't actually look to see if there was a speed limitation in the engine mapping and just did some kind of override with standard mapping settings and expected that to sort the issue.

Thanks again everyone and especially @Salty Spuds for being so generous with his time and equipment.
You’re very welcome, glad we got to the bottom of it.

Glad you got it sorted always nice to get to the bottom of things like this and great that there are people on the forum that can help.

Back