Notice of Intended Prosecution/Speeding and the speed limits for a van

Ffs lads - I’m half-cut watching the rugby and dying laughing with some of the comments on here

Ok So this week I got a notice of intended prosecution for doing 68 on a dual carriageway from a police officer standing on a bridge- no signs, no van. I was in the slow lane in a row of traffic so I wasn't going nuts. My van is a full camper- pop top, sink, cooker, table, RnR bed but I did the conversion after the DVLA changed their rules so it is a van with windows on the V5. I was initially despairing and hoping that I would get a speed awareness course but then started looking on the forum here and on facebook. I started picking up a few different bits of information and realised that the van might not actually need to be registered as a "motor caravan" to have access to the normal car speed limits.
So I thought I would try my luck and drafted an email to appeal it and within an hour the NIP was cancelled. So I thought I would share what I had written in the hope it may help some other people when they get NIP for speeding but they are not. So where this will work is

Single Carriageway where you are doing between 50-60mph but you get a NIP for doing over 50mph as a goods vehicle is limited to 50mph or on a dual carriageway where you are doing 60-70mph and get a NIP for doing over 60 as a good vehicle is limited to 50mph.

So my Van is T30 -it may be trickier for those with a T32.

I appealed via email I haven't included the whole email as there are some personal parts however what I believe are the key phrases are:

"The van is a camper van which weights below 3.05 tons although this is not registered on the V5 I have made enquires with the DVLA and they state that "A 'Van with Side windows' body type does not necessarily mean it is restricted to the speed limit of a goods vehicle.

Provided that you are satisfied that the vehicle meets the internal requirements to be recognised as a motor caravan and that any alterations made to the vehicle do not compromise safety then it should be treated as having the speed limit of a motor caravan."

The internal requirements to be recognised as a motor caravan from the DVLA(2023) website are:

"to include living accommodation which contains at least the following internal equipment:
· seats and a table
· sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats
· cooking facilities
· storage facilities
This equipment must be rigidly fixed to the living compartment; however, the table may be designed to be easily removable.
These features are defined by the type approval requirements for motor caravans."

I then attached photos showing each of the living accommodation items, a M1 crash test cert for the bed, the V5 showing Gross Vehicle Weight, and a photo with the rear barn door closed showing the bed and number plate.

If you have a van with seats and windows in you may also be able to appeal on a dual-purpose vehicle but as mine is a camper I went down that route. Best of luck with any appeals I am not saying it will definitely work but worth ago.
Being an old fart I have become one of those infuriating b***rts on the road that holds everyone up as I toddle along, well below speed limits, in my T6 Campervan. However, should senility catch up with me and one day and I go slightly over the speed limit, this information will be helpful. :)

I got an NIP and mine was registered as a camper before they started restricting the classification. 65 mph on a dual carriageway. Rugby police were not having any of it. AFAIR they stated it was an ‘N’ class (I think - it’s been a while ) with relevant restrictions.

Eventually the DVLA sorted it and I got an apology but not before they’d actually started the court proceedings.

Aargh.... Anyone had experience of this over in Northern Ireland. Spied Road Safety Partnership van but too late.... 61mph. My van is a kombi.... Cert to show factory fitted seats and windows. Plus it's even as a panel van said 6 seats on V5.

Looking at guidance....

My letter says speed limited to 50mph ... A26 Frosses Road Ballymoney... Knew they sit there as well... Also in Warringstown if anyone driving through or Dromore!

The reason I ask is it appears speed limits and classes of vehicles may be different over here... Also No Right of Appeal over here...

Hopefully do speed awareness course!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: CAB
Aargh.... Anyone had experience of this over in Northern Ireland. Spied Road Safety Partnership van but too late.... 61mph. My van is a kombi.... Cert to show factory fitted seats and windows. Plus it's even as a panel van said 6 seats...

Looking at guidance....

My letter says speed limited to 50mph ... A26 Grosses Road Ballymoney... Knew they sit there as well... Also in Warringstown if anyone driving through or Dromore!

The reason I ask is it appears speed limits and classes of vehicles may be different over here... Also No Right of Appeal over here...

Hopefully do speed awareness course!
Hopefully it’s not an orange van otherwise you could be looking at 5 years with good behaviour.

• Haha
Reactions: JOG
A vans a van and all that it NI.... N1 and lights good vehicle on V5. Restricted speeds..... Read through every page on dual purpose vehicles here etc and N1 M1 classifying etc. Wish I'd just read the ones about being a 'van' and adhering to lower limits! Aargh

Chris, there is some really good information in the thread https://www.t6forum.com/threads/speeding-“class-of-vehicle”-kombi-2040kg.22250/
Correct me if I'm wrong @ChrisBell, but I suspect your saying that NI law differs from what has been that described elsewhere on the forum (which describes British law).

When you and @DXX have finished lighting the touch paper….!
Appears after two emails that the only way for van to be classified as dual purpose vehicle is to get V5 changed.... Perhaps not different but police NI did quote a specific NI regulation from 1989 so very current! Need to drive slower.... Just had input shaft replace on van (custom cough) so enjoyed driving up to NW 200 @50mph....whilst bikes fly round circuit at 200mph! Good day out

@gavp Chris, there is some really good information in the thread https://www.t6forum.com/threads/speeding-“class-of-vehicle”-kombi-2040kg.22250/
I saw that post and wrote a similar email.... Did not work. I have a ford transit custom which for some reason has a MAM of over 2300kg... So knew it was not 100peecent correct! NI police keep saying to notify DVLA and get re registered as dual purpose vehicle I f needed. I am in the positio where V5 shows N1 commercial vehicle with 6 seats... Converted to have actually 6 seats and glazing in rear!

Back