V5 Documentation - DVLA Rule Change for Motor Caravan Reregistration June 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urbanfox

Bri
T6 Guru
Hi, a little help required re the V5. I have recently received my V5 from the DVLA for my T6 which was converted to a campervan by a local company. He sent the docs off with photos etc as per changes to the use etc of the vehicle and the returned V5 in my name just states the Van as a VAN/SIDE WINDOWS?
I spoke to a guy at DVLA and he said because there is no significant changes to the outside of the van then that's why its not been amended to Campervan???
Does your V5 for a conversion state CAMPERVAN. The guy/ firm who converted the van has said this hasn't happened before so it seems I will now have to try and resubmit details to get the body type changed to Campervan. Suggestions please.
Bri

It’s actually “motor caravan” & if you have a full camper conversion, bed,cooker,sink,table that’s how it should be classed.

Thanks Salty, that's what I thought but the Guy at the DVLA said because there is no significant changes to the outside except windows, for Police purposes, its a Van/Side windos??
Don't know if all the correct details have been sent to them but he does more than a few conversions so I can't see it being his falt but some one at DVLA?

Yes mate pop up and Fiama side awning. just taken some more photos with the pop up, up and the side awning out and along with some from the convertor he is going to resubmit the change tomorrow.
So fingers crossed.
Bri

Yes mate pop up and Fiama side awning. just taken some more photos with the pop up, up and the side awning out and along with some from the convertor he is going to resubmit the change tomorrow.
So fingers crossed.
Bri
You don't actually need a poptop for it to be classified as a camper , to be honest Al ye need is side windows fitted to the exterior for it to be classified . Most of it is for internal mods

Converting a vehicle into a motorhome

Motor caravan minimum features
In order for a converted vehicle to qualify as a motor caravan it must have certain minimum features:

• a door that provides access to the living accommodation
  • a bed, which has a minimum length of 1800mm or 6 feet - this can be converted from seats used for other purposes during the day but must be permanently fixed within the body of the vehicle
  • a water storage tank or container on, or in, the vehicle
  • a seating and dining area, permanently attached to the vehicle - the table may be detachable but must have some permanent means of attachment to the vehicle. It is not good enough to have a loose table
  • a permanently fixed means of storage, a cupboard, locker or wardrobe
  • a permanently fixed cooking facility within the vehicle, powered by gas or electricity
  • at least one window on the side of the accommodation
If the vehicle has all of these features present, permanently fixed and installed properly, then it is a legal requirement to have it reclassified as a motor caravan on the V5C.

Got to be some jobsworth at DVLA that can't tell the difference or creating more work for therselves if all the relevant info has been submitedwhich I can't see why it hasn't. Just got to do it all again tomorrow and resubmit.
Do you ever get that feeling it can only happen to me!!!!!!
Bri

Loads of talk about this on the Facebook groups (campervan / T5 /T6)...V5.png

The DVLA documentation I quoted above says its a legal requirement, so the DVLA have to do it...

The DVLA documentation I quoted above says its a legal requirement, so the DVLA have to do it...

I agree, it’s kicking up quite a storm! Doesn’t appear to be anyone recently who have managed to get the V5 changed over!

Hi, a little help required re the V5. I have recently received my V5 from the DVLA for my T6 which was converted to a campervan by a local company. He sent the docs off with photos etc as per changes to the use etc of the vehicle and the returned V5 in my name just states the Van as a VAN/SIDE WINDOWS?
I spoke to a guy at DVLA and he said because there is no significant changes to the outside of the van then that's why its not been amended to Campervan???
Does your V5 for a conversion state CAMPERVAN. The guy/ firm who converted the van has said this hasn't happened before so it seems I will now have to try and resubmit details to get the body type changed to Campervan. Suggestions please.
Bri
Hi all,
Same thing just happened to me. I am going to resubmit all my info again with extra detail of pop top and edge banding around it to see if that works. After speaking to the DVLA they told me that they had recently been instructed to clamp down on vans like this, although there is nothing on the website about it. If not, out with the white gloss and write campervan down the sides.

Luckily my van got through last year before all this kicked off with DVLA. I'd suggest though, if you do have a pop top, include a photo with it raised. Nothing says camper more really.

Looking at this, it looks like the DVLA did the same in 2011 ish then did relax it after a number of complaints.
It certainly has more implications for vehicles over the 3500kg weight. I been to see my convertor today and he was unaware this was happening so is looking into it further. How long this will take is anyones guess.
Just hope the DVLA get some stick from all those out there that are DIY or professional convertors.
No More Campervan Conversions by DVLA | Campervan Conversion

I wonder if it is an attempt to catch people like me who had their van registered as van with windows from new by the converter and then they changed it to campervan - this circumvented that horrendous road tax bracket ( which has just come up in another thread recently) as it was first registered at the basic van purchase price of under £40k ( the kick-in point for that high road tax). I did wonder if they would try to plug that loophole.
I have found that dealing with some jobsworths at the dvla is like wading through treacle!

I have made a complaint to DVLA but will it get anywhere?
If they get enough complaints then it just might as back in 2011.

Interesting. Can't really see what significant external changes you could make on a T6 that would make it look more like a motor caravan? Perhaps roof vents/lights, satellite dishes, and side graphics is the future :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back