Speeding “Class of vehicle” (Kombi 2040kg)

Good post which will be very useful for those with Kombis which can weigh in under the magic 2040kg unladen weight figure . Unfortunately my 6.1 SWB 199 4M comes in at 2252 Mass in Service so even with driver / fuel adjustment c 130/140kg I'm confined to the 50/60/70 rules. The whole classification / dual purpose / speed limit laws need a complete overhaul given need to have to explain the rules to the issuer of tickets to enable a wrongful fine to be cancelled. Plus in my case with a virtually new 6.1 4M T32 Kombi with big brakes and latest safety features, I am restricted to 10mph less than for example a 10 year old T5 Kombi with possibly several hundred thousand miles on the clock. Mind you motorways are ok except for fact there are none down here in Cornwall . I was fully aware of all of this when I ordered the van mind you so can't complain :)

And think of all the revenue that the government would lose from unaware drivers if they made the rules simple

3 lanes on a motorway, how hard would it be to have a 60 and two 70 MPH lanes and stay in lane?
I’m not a statistician but I would think a significant percentage of motorway accidents are caused by lane changes not vans doing 70 MPH.

So how does this affect converted T6s. Mine is a swb T28 with campervan conversion. I gave it classified as a motor caravan on the V5, but do I need to meet the weight requirement too?

I assume the mass in service would be with the conversion? Or would the mis on the V5 still hold?

Confused!

If it’s classed as a motor caravan on the V5 then you are good for car speeds, weight isn’t a factor. Actually technically even if it’s not got the motor caravan body type you are still if it a camper but let’s not get into that again :)

Anyway all this science still won't help my Kombi 4Motion SWB T30 sneak in under the weight limit for a dual purpose vehicle even if I nearly empty the washer fluid bottle!
Got seats (sometimes), got windows, just too heavy. :(
I have same issue as I cannot get under the 2044 :mad:. I am led to believe the whole dual purpose vehicle was for the benefit of Land Rover so they were not classed as commercial vehicles.

If it’s classed as a motor caravan on the V5 then you are good for car speeds, weight isn’t a factor. Actually technically even if it’s not got the motor caravan body type you are still if it a camper but let’s not get into that again :)

Thanks. I thought so, but just wanted to check

I have same issue as I cannot get under the 2044 :mad:. I am led to believe the whole dual purpose vehicle was for the benefit of Land Rover so they were not classed as commercial vehicles.
Can't you take your spare tyre off? Im sure that would get you under 2040kg

Edit I misread that and thought you were ar 2044kg, just 5kg to lose.

Just keep up with a...National Express Coach...then you can’t go wrong :laugh:

When people are are caught, is it with those mobile camera vans/ police cars or the gantry static cameras? Probably tempting fate but I've driven through loads of the gantry static cameras at car speeds in my 2017 t32 204 4motion Kombi

When people are are caught, is it with those mobile camera vans/ police cars or the gantry static cameras? Probably tempting fate but I've driven through loads of the gantry static cameras at car speeds in my 2017 t32 204 4motion Kombi
Mobiles and average speed cameras, not gantries. Gantry cameras don't have ANPR.

@sebastian747 where did you find the official guidance on the 'mass in service' figure and how it includes a driver weight please? I can see lots of van/campervan forum links when I search for it but looking on the dvla or government website it doesn't even list it as a common term. I know its on the V5 but its odd that I cannot see it anywhere else!

My Mass in Service on my T6 T32 is 2118 - Does that mean that I am dual purpose or not??

I have been sticking to the lower limits, but wondering if that is appropriate! I have also had the kombi seats swapped for a full width Rib Bed, pop top roof and insulated - Does the actual weight matter??

So confusing.... Every time I think I have worked it out I read something else and it becomes unclear again!

@goldeneye243 I'm the same. 2118 kg as the Mass in service.
Using @sebastian747 's method I can knock off about 70 kg for fuel and 75 kg for the driver. This takes me down to 1973 kg so well under the 2040 kg dual purpose maximum. My only concern is the official line on the Mass in Service including a 75 kg driver as, per my above reply, I cannot find it in any government regulations.

Back