Van Speed Limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
just checked my v5 T30 kombi swb and mass in service is 2062. so ideally taking into account weight of the driver/fuel there should be no problems to challenge a speeding ticket
Should have no problem at all . Some folk actually get their vans weighed at a public weighbridge with minimal fuel load and the figure provided can be used for the speeding challenge. The whole Commercial sub 3.5 ton speed limit regulatory system urgently needs a radical overhaul . Unfortunately my 2020 T6.1 199 4M Kombi in as new condition with big brakes and side wind assistance etc is stuck on the 50/60/70 limits as MAS is 2252kg and no amount of driver / fuel adjustments will help !

ANPR is a technology not a camera type and is used for various things such as alerts to Police, but also in average speed cameras, car park monitoring etc.

So you can get ANPR enable speed cameras (as well as all the other Jazz).

Correct. After a 28 year Police career including using ANPR when it was first introduced I understand that.
ANPR was first introduced to alert Police to vehicles of interest, it was only much later used for speed enforcement, mostly by Police employees, not Police Officers. I never met any of those people and don't even know where they worked, they were quite separate from Police Officers.
The average speed cameras that use ANPR technology simply use the technology to measure your time through a know distance travelled to calculate your average speed, they do not compare your number plate against intelligence databases or flag up stolen vehicles, like the ANPR cameras that most Police Officers are familiar with.
Millions of people still refer to "doing the hoovering", when often they use another brand of vacuum cleaner, so like me they are technically wrong!
Similarly most Police Officers who refer to ANPR systems do so referring to its original purpose, largely because the speed enforcement side of it is not a role that many Police Officers are involved in.

Ah ok, I thought it would be the lower amount.

I’ve also just noticed my maths is extremely poor.

Hmm really interesting read, glad I found it too as new van arrives next week and moving from a car to van I would have been oblivious to the speed restrictions.

I will be driving a N1 class vehicle as per the DVLA which is restricted, right?

Now I know why in the Q5 I am always going past VW vans

Hmm really interesting read, glad I found it too as new van arrives next week and moving from a car to van I would have been oblivious to the speed restrictions.

I will be driving a N1 class vehicle as per the DVLA which is restricted, right?

Read previous posts ... not all N1 class vans have the restrictions . If yours is a Kombi within the 2040kg unladen weight band you'll be ok with car speeds.

@boxerdog1 I can’t tell looking on the DVLA website of it is a Kombi, the advert says it is. The DVLA also mentions revenue weight 3200kg, what does that mean?

If it is a factory kombi then it is a dual purpose vehicle and hence car speed limits apply if it also has an unladen weight of less than 2040kg. Many T6 kombis are under 2040kg but some aren't. The notable kombis (using unladen weights from the 2018 brochure - check as different variants were available in different years) that are over 2040kg are any Highline/Sportline LWB T32 and any T30/T32 SWB with 4Motion.

If it is a factory kombi then it is a dual purpose vehicle and hence car speed limits apply if it also has an unladen weight of less than 2040kg. Many T6 kombis are under 2040kg but some aren't. The notable kombis (using unladen weights from the 2018 brochure - check as different variants were available in different years) that are over 2040kg are any Highline/Sportline LWB T32 and any T30/T32 SWB with 4Motion.

Thanks for the info @Tsixty seems I fall into the 4Motion, DSG T32 204 PS category. All that power with DSG and 4 Motion and I can't use it. Questioning whether to look at an alternative 150PS with DSG and take it to REVO.

Thanks for the info @Tsixty seems I fall into the 4Motion, DSG T32 204 PS category. All that power with DSG and 4 Motion and I can't use it. Questioning whether to look at an alternative 150PS with DSG and take it to REVO.
You are in the same boat as me then as I have exactly the same vehicle (LWB). I haven't let it worry me. The only two scenarios where it is an issue are on single carriageways (50 as opposed to 60) but most of these are 50 or 40 round by me now anyway rather than national speed limit and dual carriageways (60 as opposed to 70). How many other vans do you see sticking to 60 on a dual carriageway - almost none. Still perfectly fine to barrel along the motorway at an (indicated) 75 which is where all the main driving is done so all good. Plus most of my long journeys are with a caravan in tow so would be limited to 50 (single) and 60 (dual/motorway) anyway. I really think you might be over thinking it.

You are in the same boat as me then as I have exactly the same vehicle (LWB). I haven't let it worry me. The only two scenarios where it is an issue are on single carriageways (50 as opposed to 60) but most of these are 50 or 40 round by me now anyway rather than national speed limit and dual carriageways (60 as opposed to 70). How many other vans do you see sticking to 60 on a dual carriageway - almost none. Still perfectly fine to barrel along the motorway at an (indicated) 75 which is where all the main driving is done so all good. Plus most of my long journeys are with a caravan in tow so would be limited to 50 (single) and 60 (dual/motorway) anyway. I really think you might be over thinking it.

I think you're right @Tsixty. I don't tow our van as its sited in Anglesey now, plus looking for this spec Van has taken me months and I don't fancy starting the search again for a van that's under the weight restriction.

Cheers mate.

I think you're right @Tsixty. I don't tow our van as its sited in Anglesey now, plus looking for this spec Van has taken me months and I don't fancy starting the search again for a van that's under the weight restriction.

Cheers mate.
Excellent decision. Not wanting to add to your worry list but there is a similar discussion about class 4 vs. class 7 MOT. My view is that all the same kombis (talking specifically about those which are not converted to 'motor caravans') that are restricted to the lower speed limits should also have a class 7 MOT. However, many MOT stations just seem to put them through as class 4 anyway. FWIW I haven't let that point worry me either; if it needs a class 7 MOT then so be it. By the way are you also LWB or SWB?

SWB on mine, we don't need the extra room that the LWB offers. Like you I am not too bothered about what MOT is needed as I don't have to worry about it for a year yet. ;)

I hope that they don't respond by lowering the speed limits of campervans and motorhomes to that of vans.

That would be a sin.

So far 2,632 signatures. C’mon let’s get it signed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back