Notice of Intended Prosecution/Speeding and the speed limits for a van

This was the letter that I got from the Department of Transport last year when I asked about speed limits for my 6 seater van with windows.

John.

Dear Mr Green

Thank you for your email below to the Department, regarding the maximum speed limits for your VW Transporter. Please note that I am unable to give legal advice, however I can point you to the relevant legislation.

I appreciate that it can be difficult to decide which category a vehicle falls into. The legislation applicable is the Road Traffic Regulation Act (RTRA) 1984 Schedule 6 which lists vehicle types which are restricted to speeds below the national speed limits. This may be useful to you: Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984.

Where there are windows, seats and seat belts behind the driver’s seat our understanding is that the enforcement authorities will assume that the vehicle is primarily used for carrying passengers rather than goods. A passenger vehicle is defined in the Road Vehicles Construction and Use regulations as a vehicle, “constructed solely for the carriage of passengers and their effects”: The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.

As you will see in the RTRA, passenger vehicles / motor caravans / dual-purpose vehicles (not drawing a trailer), with an unladen weight exceeding 3.05 tonnes or adapted to carry more than 8 passengers, would be restricted to 70mph on a motorway, 60mph on a dual carriageway and 50mph on a single carriageway. Otherwise, a passenger vehicle with e.g. no more than 8 passenger seats can travel at the same speed as a car.

Kind regards,
Helen

Helen Grech
Senior Policy Advisor, Freight Regulation: Social & Safety Policy
Great Minster House 33 Horseferry Road, London, SW1P 4DR
Follow us on twitter @transportgovuk
NB: I work part-time; four days a week. I do not work on Friday

Last edited by a moderator:
I’d class my T32 (N1) as a dual purpose vehicle. It has rear windows, rear seats with seatbelts and a class 4 MOT. If it were not a dual purpose vehicle it would have been subject to a class 7 MOT….

I always thought politics was a no no on this forum but are you people always so bitchy about others who you don't agree with?
Oh the irony;). Just exercising our right to free speech. Or in other words “Doing a Lineker”

I always thought politics was a no no on this forum but are you people always so bitchy about others who you don't agree with?
Nonsense - expressing a view on an overpaid football pundit who has delusions of adequacy is not political. The only reason you adjudge these comments to be "political" is because of his highly political tweets.

To Lineker.....

To shit oneself whilst subject to a robust challenge from an Irish defender then attempt to conceal embarrassment by dragging arse across pitch like a dog with anal gland issues
I literally cried laughing at this

Nonsense - expressing a view on an overpaid football pundit who has delusions of adequacy is not political. The only reason you adjudge these comments to be "political" is because of his highly political tweets.
Nonsense - expressing a view on an unemployed football pundit who has delusions of adequacy is not political. The only reason you adjudge these comments to be "political" is because of his highly political tweets.

Back