all new motors will be legally required to be fitted with a speed limiter…

czmate1999

VIP Member
T6 Legend
Just saw this, wtf?

Driving warning as major law change to come in TOMORROW to combat speeding

BRITS are being warned about a major new law coming into effect tomorrow that could see your car installed with a speed limiter, making it automatically slow down if you are caught speeding.

From July 6, all new motors will be legally required to be fitted with the technology to keep drivers within the speed limit.

Another article,

The requirements to have the ‘ISA’ system in place for 6July were vaguely discussed by ministers in February to April, but I can’t find anything suggesting it is actually UK law now beyond the more excitable press reporting on comments from insurance companies and lobby groups. The .GOV site only has existing requirements for goods vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.

Can someone link to the actual legislation?

In Wales they are slowly turning every trunk road and motorway into 50mph average speed anyway. 'Smart' (really hate that word :mad: but lets not go there) motorways seam to always have the overhead gantry's set at less than national speed limit even in the middle of the night (ok, that's probably a slight exaggeration but it feels like it, especially the M6!), so I suspect the limiters will soon have little difference.

Dont see anything that says its not controlled by the driver or cannot be turned off
Havent we all already got this tech fitted with the speed warning and ACC

This has been floating around for a while, personally I ain’t loosing sleep over it. TBH I’d actually welcome a speed limiter that automatically changed as the limits changed. One thing less to worry about, & would ruin the speed camera business model. If & when self driving cars arrive, it’ll be all part & parcel of the system. Change happens, it’s an unstoppable force of nature. You either adapt & make it work in your favour, or you fall by the wayside.

This has been floating around for a while, personally I ain’t loosing sleep over it. TBH I’d actually welcome a speed limiter that automatically changed as the limits changed.
You say that, but our Tig with adaptive cruise control and road sign recognition already does that. I tried it when we first got it. I was following a couple of cars with the max cruise control speed set to 55mph. As we all got to a 30mph limit, they slowed and my ACC slowed me too. They didn't slow all the way down to 30mph, but I did. Also as they neared the end of the speed limit, they started to gently accelerate, widening the gap between us even further. (so far so good) The Tig held 30mph until we reached the national speed limit sign, then accelerated faster than was really necessary up to the set 55mph. Just up the road was another 30mph limit which the cars in front were starting to ease off for, but Tiggy was still pushing on to close the gap to the set following distance. This meant it had to brake pretty hard as it got closer to the slowing cars in front. Probably making me look a right t**t in their mirrors. That was enough for me, so ACC is for motorways only for me.

You say that, but our Tig with adaptive cruise control and road sign recognition already does that. I tried it when we first got it. I was following a couple of cars with the max cruise control speed set to 55mph. As we all got to a 30mph limit, they slowed and my ACC slowed me too. They didn't slow all the way down to 30mph, but I did. Also as they neared the end of the speed limit, they started to gently accelerate, widening the gap between us even further. (so far so good) The Tig held 30mph until we reached the national speed limit sign, then accelerated faster than was really necessary up to the set 55mph. Just up the road was another 30mph limit which the cars in front were starting to ease off for, but Tiggy was still pushing on to close the gap to the set following distance. This meant it had to brake pretty hard as it got closer to the slowing cars in front. Probably making me look a right t*** in their mirrors. That was enough for me, so ACC is for motorways only for me.
If you set the ACC acceleration to “eco” & increase the distance setting, it mitigates this. Even without speed sign recognition the ACC can be a bit flighty. The problem with both ACC & speed sign recognition is that they are both reactive. I’m assuming that an automatic speed limiter would be predictive, in that it knows which road it’s on & what the upcoming speed limit is, so it would slow down in anticipation.

The car uses GPS to tell you you are approaching a lower speed limit, but doesn't do anything about it until it sees the sign.

Is the speed limiter system a closed system or does it send information back to someone?. As the government looks at road pricing per mile this would allow an easy transition and easy tracking of journeys if it could be activated. Not sure i approve.

Is the speed limiter system a closed system or does it send information back to someone?. As the government looks at road pricing per mile this would allow an easy transition and easy tracking of journeys if it could be activated. Not sure i approve.
It can be opened to allow that. Same as how insurance companies interrogate the “black box” for speeding and fine you adjust your premium accordingly!

Back