all new motors will be legally required to be fitted with a speed limiter…

Is the speed limiter system a closed system or does it send information back to someone?. As the government looks at road pricing per mile this would allow an easy transition and easy tracking of journeys if it could be activated. Not sure i approve.

You'll find out when you're driving along and on your your screen pops up the message, "The Fox and Duck is 300 metres on the left, we are open, please feel free to call in and enjoy our fine dining and alcohol free beverages!"

Thank God I got my driving license in the 1970s when you could drive and feel freedom from surveillance, astonishes me that manufacturers can still make and sell high performance cars that you can never really drive fast !

Just more surveillance from government, I’ve always thought that the ‘smart..’ motorway, ie, opening the hard shoulder for traffic use, is just a load of bull, the real reason is to turn motorways into a toll. Pay per mile system, they have cameras every few hundred meters, , they have been installing this for years, costing hundreds of millions, just you wait and see, it will cost you if you want to leave your 15 minute city

Thank God I got my driving license in the 1970s when you could drive and feel freedom from surveillance, astonishes me that manufacturers can still make and sell high performance cars that you can never really drive fast !
Well the penis enlargement pumps don’t work in all cases.

The press always fail to report on this part ...

"(6a) It should be possible to switch off the intelligent speed assistance, for instance, when a driver experiences false warnings or inappropriate feedback as a result of inclement weather conditions, temporary conflicting road markings in construction zones and misleading, defective or missing road signs. Such switch-off feature should be under the control of the driver, last as long as necessary and have the option of being easily switched on by the driver. When the system is switched off, information about the speed limit may be provided. The system should be always active when switching the ignition on and the driver should always be made aware whether the system is on or off."

No doubt you could disable it but in the event of an accident if found to be disabled you may find you are not insured or if you were breaking the speed limit.

No doubt you could disable it but in the event of an accident if found to be disabled you may find you are not insured or if you were breaking the speed limit.

These are classified as "assist" systems. There is no legal requirement for them to work 100% of the time, and as is always the case, the driver must remain in full control of the vehicle at all times.

If this was not the case, the vehicle manufacturers could be sued for every legal infringement anyone committed with an assist system active.

It is in the same category as lane assist, which in some cases will reliably prevent you from returning to your correct side of the road after an overtake.

This really is just paranoia and clickbait from the press, these arguments have already been had between the auto manufacturers and the legislators - these systems are legislated as assist systems, not as vehicle speed control systems.

Imagine driving down the motorway and some joker puts up a 30mph sign at the side of the road - and laughs his head off as all new vehicles slow down to 30 and prevent their drivers from driving any faster - or a temporary 30 sign is obscured by a lorry as you drive past it ... or the 20s plenty mob start doing the same in towns and reduce 40 limits to 20. It has to be possible to switch them off, and there are multiple scenarios where they will fail with a higher or lower speed limit than is actually in force - so they cannot be insisted on by the insurance companies - any lawyer worth his salt should be able to defend a driver against any such claim.

In the case of fatalities in modern cars the crash data (which is automatically stored and transferred to the emergency services by all modern cars with E-Call) will be supplied to the investigating authorities - they can also request logs stored in vehicle ECUs. This data includes speed and direction at the time of and prior to the accident - so if the driver was speeding this will be known, regardless if an assist system was active or not.

Back