Speeding “Class of vehicle” (Kombi 2040kg)

A couple of weeks ago I received a speeding ticket for doing 58 in a 60mph zone due to Class of vehicle.
I have a T32 factory Kombi.
I appealed using the letter sent in by the OP which I adapted for my personal circumstances.
I sent photos showing the side windows and the kombi seating and a copy of my V5.
I received a letter yesterday saying they would be taking no further action on this occasion.
Many thanks to @sebastian747 for posting his excellent letter and reasoned arguments.
You really have made my weekend saving me a lot of time and money.
A brilliant result thanks to a fantastic forum.
Thanks again.

Given that traffic police are about as rare as hens' teeth, and excessive speeding appears the norm on motorways these days is the real problem the ANPR connected speed cameras?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a T32 LWB Kombi newly converted camper.
Log booked as van with windows and will stay like that because I’m not putting stickers all over it and attempting to get it through the DVLA.
That being said, with reference to the attached image. Do national speed limits apply to me or not?

3A43A826-3F9A-485A-9F1B-FB770973E1F7.png

Its up to you, if you think your van meets the DVLA requirements for a dual purpose or motorhome you can take the risk of getting a ticket and challenge it.

This is very interesting and even suggests that real humans are employed at the Safety Camera Unit!
I'm trying to find way to bring my 2118kg LWB down below 2040kg but even with an 80 litre tank (70kg at best) im struggling! I did note that water was included but it reads "water or fuel" suggesting that the regulations cater for steam engines too!
You get 75kg for the driver as well

You get 75kg for the driver as well
Yes, I get that (as many have said) but where is it written officially? As much as I would love to be able to use forum posts as a defence I dont think it would wash!

Thank you. Thats what I was looking for! I have a 140 LWB but will dig out the relevant Euro 5 sheet.

Theres a plate (sticker) on the drivers door opening with the vehicle weights plus it’s on the V5 registration document.

Thank you. Thats what I was looking for! I have a 140 LWB but will dig out the relevant Euro 5 sheet.
As standard VW include 75kg plus a 90% full tank. So depending on what tank you have (70 or 80 litres) you can deduct that from the mass in service weight shown on the V5

like everyone else, i have been reading the "speed limit / unladen weight" threads with great interest.
today i took my scrap metal to be weighed at the local scrap merchants.
normally i would take it in my transit, but decided a while ago to run the fuel down in my t32 150 kombi and take my scrap in that.
the nice man at the yard kindly weighed my "unladen" vehicle.
mass in service on log book is 2109 kg
actual weight this morning with approximately 1 gallon of fuel 2020kg

Back