Speeding “Class of vehicle” (Kombi 2040kg)

Going off on a tangent from the original thread a little, but see if you can follow my logic, then tell me where I've gone wrong:
Diesel fuel filters have a water trap at the bottom of them. Water sinks in diesel.
So water must be more dense than diesel, water must must have a greater mass than diesel for the same volume.
See my edit :thumbsup:

Just look up the specific gravity of any fluid for the science bit. Diesel is typically ~0.85 which means that for any given volume it will have a mass of 0.85 x the same volume of water. 1 litre of water is 1 kg so 1 litre of diesel.is ~ 0.85 kg
70 litres of diesel = 59.5 kg
80 litres = 68kg.
(But it varies with temperature)

Anyway all this science still won't help my Kombi 4Motion SWB T30 sneak in under the weight limit for a dual purpose vehicle even if I nearly empty the washer fluid bottle!
Got seats (sometimes), got windows, just too heavy. :(

Excelent news thanks for sharing.

Guess you have all seen the below

Just look up the specific gravity of any fluid for the science bit. Diesel is typically ~0.85 which means that for any given volume it will have a mass of 0.85 x the same volume of water. 1 litre of water is 1 kg so 1 litre of diesel.is ~ 0.85 kg
70 litres of diesel = 59.5 kg
80 litres = 68kg.
(But it varies with temperature)

Jeez

Yes I just guessed that diesel would be heavier than water due it feeling more viscous, but immediately I posted I googled the specific gravity to check, hence my instant edit.

Excelent news thanks for sharing.

Guess you have all seen the below

Great news if its for real. Half the worlds servers are clogged up with the related forum threads.

We will all be restricted to 60 mph on parts of some motorways soon anyway, regardless of what we drive.
Motorways to trial 60mph limits to cut pollution.
It's fairly uncontroversial (I think!) to say that most vehicles cause less pollution at 60 than they do at 70. I think these trials will confirm this and will become permanent over most of the motorway network over time. (And dual carriageways) And they'll be Policed by Average speed cameras.

For what its worth, in Australia we have the same speed limit for Vans and cars. This makes it simple.
It seems the UK has made it quite complicated. What is their logic behind the different limits for different types of Van's. Just curious.

Its basically that lorries and larger goods vehicles are more dangerous at higher speed. The issue is where they draw the line between cars, vans and lorries etc.

Going off on a tangent from the original thread a little, but see if you can follow my logic, then tell me where I've gone wrong:
Diesel fuel filters have a water trap at the bottom of them. Water sinks in diesel.
So water must be more dense than diesel, water must must have a greater mass than diesel for the same volume.
Boats also float on water... :rolleyes:

Only if its full of air! :rolleyes:
yup just molecules..

So I’m picking up my van tomorrow. Mass 2201kg. Minus the 68kg of fuel and coolant and water bottles say another 10kg. I can’t see where in the road traffic act it says I can subtract the drivers weight but assuming that is ok, (either that or I call my self a tool, but my name isn’t Jack) that would be ok. Clearly I need to be 83kg or more. Eat pies and drive at 70!! :rolleyes:

For what its worth, in Australia we have the same speed limit for Vans and cars. This makes it simple.
It seems the UK has made it quite complicated. What is their logic behind the different limits for different types of Van's. Just curious.
Oh us Brits like to make things complicated otherwise there's no fun in getting it sorted :devil:.

So I’m picking up my van tomorrow. Mass 2201kg. Minus the 68kg of fuel and coolant and water bottles say another 10kg. I can’t see where in the road traffic act it says I can subtract the drivers weight but assuming that is ok, (either that or I call my self a tool, but my name isn’t Jack) that would be ok. Clearly I need to be 83kg or more. Eat pies and drive at 70!! :rolleyes:
For the difference between Mass in Service and Unladen weight the driver is assumed to be 75kg.

So its van speeds for you :/

Back