TV’s, their Locations and Setups.

I’m looking to have a drop down TV/monitor to keep my twins entertained on long journeys.

Technology has changed quite a bit since I put headrest screens in for my teenagers when they were tiny, back then it was a sleeve of dvds and the option of wireless headphones or tune into a low frequency radio station to play over the car speakers.

What are the latest options? Ideally I’d like an option to connect it to the WiFi when parked at home and download some Netflix, or put some movies on USB. I don’t want dvd or blue ray.

Also with the sound, I want the option of both for van speakers (preferably just the rear ones) or multiple wireless headphones.

All advice appreciated. Thank you

i found that most camper TVs are not full HDs. some pretty low resolution, poor contrast, poor viewing angles. might not matter that much, till you want to read some text scrolling on it
or play video games

drop down from the ceiling looks cool. but limits what available to buy and some features can be sacrificed (inputs, etc)

Tablets can be a solution if you are OK using your data, and if you have coverage where you park. not always if you like to get lost on purpose
there are some tuners that you can attach through USB (but usually can't charge at the same time) or by wifi

personally i'll go with a
- koolertron full hd IPS monitor 10.1 inch, £110 from amazon (i've got one, brilliant picture)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0799KGBDD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- a small speaker like
https://www.amazon.co.uk/JBL-Splash...sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=jbl+bluetooth+speaker
(the monitor i mentioned has sound already, but average at best)
and you can select how much you want to spend/how good the sound, connected by audio jack, and you can take it outside to listen to tune from your phone via Bluetooth
- an external TVtuner (£25, some can even record to SD cards) /game console/raspberry pi/small factor PC depending what you like to do
- an antenna
https://www.amazon.co.uk/High-Gain-...qid=1547292985&sr=1-5&keywords=august+antenna
- small mount to attach to pillar/driver headrest/furniture, maybe even ceiling too

just my opinion. a little more complicated setup, but you probably get more quality/options for your money

I was going to have the Alpine PKG-RSE3HDMI
Lots of money !!!! Was going wire up through head unit for sound !!!

But by the time I studied it all and then considered the placement of the unit (once its placed and wired in that's it) I decided it was too restrictive
So I sacked it off !
Instead I decided a Tablet or Laptop or iPad is much more a versatile bit of kit they can and will do much more than just play a movie and you can watch sat outside or in pop-top too !
There is also a massive range of flexible holders available and great Bluetooth speakers

Just my 1 pence worth

Think tablets are the way to go. Amazon fire are good n cheap. Plus easy to side load the dodgy stuff if that’s your thing.

We've been looking into this but need it x 3! The 7" or 8" fire tablet looks very viable, both with expandable micro sd slots.

A couple of these:-

Car Headrest Tablet Mount, Lamicall Tablet Holder : Universal Stand Cradle Compatible with 4.4~13 inch Tablets such as new Pad 2018 Pro 9.7, 10.5, Air mini 2 3 4, Phone, Tab, Smartphones - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CTHJ4ZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_5yKpCbZ3RX1KR

And one of these: -

Olixar Universal Tablet Car Headrest Mount Pro

And I think we're set! Least whilst the kids are small.

When I were a lad we had to make do with quiz my mum typed up of things we had to spot on long journeys. Never figured she didn't know the answers and alternated who won between me and my sister!

We've been looking into this but need it x 3! The 7" or 8" fire tablet looks very viable, both with expandable micro sd slots.

A couple of these:-

Car Headrest Tablet Mount, Lamicall Tablet Holder : Universal Stand Cradle Compatible with 4.4~13 inch Tablets such as new Pad 2018 Pro 9.7, 10.5, Air mini 2 3 4, Phone, Tab, Smartphones - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CTHJ4ZJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_5yKpCbZ3RX1KR

And one of these: -

Olixar Universal Tablet Car Headrest Mount Pro

And I think we're set! Least whilst the kids are small.

When I were a lad we had to make do with quiz my mum typed up of things we had to spot on long journeys. Never figured she didn't know the answers and alternated who won between me and my sister!

Same reason for me, not the quiz bit.
Kids are small so thought it be nice to have a movie when their asleep...

Most drop downs are very poor to be honest. I would go with tablets if I was doing it again, not that I need to now all my little blighters are now doing their own stuff!

Amazon 7" Fire tablets. Seriously, don't waste your money on anything else. Wait for a sale as well. I got 2 7" last year for £39 each, and the picture quality on a film is just as good as the iPad they sit next too.

Amazon 7" Fire tablets. Seriously, don't waste your money on anything else. Wait for a sale as well. I got 2 7" last year for £39 each, and the picture quality on a film is just as good as the iPad they sit next too.

I'm already sold, even got the missus on board! We got our daughter a portable DVD play a couple of years ago, driving to Cornwall with back to back to back Thomas the tank engine, that thing is so redundant now!

Yep tablets are awesome for this, I have one on the back of the seat (and out of reach) when my granddaughter is in the van, with a load of kids videos randomly mixed into a continuous playlist. It's often 2 hrs before I get the first "Are we nearly there?".

Yeah I think i'm going to find a central ceiling mount for an ipad, much more functionality. Just a lack of remote

Hi

Could anybody recommend a portable television to use in a camper
Are they 12 volt, do they require an aerial

Thanks
Andy. :laugh:

Quite a few of us have the DTV905 from Daffodil, its a small digital TV that can run from a 12v socket or its own internal battery,
has a USB socket for films on memory sticks, mounts nicely behind the headrest. Comes with a simple aerial but that needs
a good signal, they also do an amplified aerial too which is better but no match for a proper yagi of course.
More here: Camping Tv

Back