Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

You are aware that US2000 it’s a 15s and the US5000 it’s a 16S, probably you know already, they are not to be in the same system.
we run Pylontech US2000C + US5000 - both 48v units and approved to work with each other. - we have 8 in a stack (26.4kwh)

( but i think the older 2000 EXTRA units are different )

Pylontech show the compatibility list as including US5000, US2000c, US2000 - but ask for the latest FW version and US5000 to be the master - which ours is, and the Us2000c units down stream.

1706949604373.png

we also run "Battery View" SW to keep an eye on things. . ( here 100% soc @ 51.1v)

1706948971438.png1706948988828.png

++++++

and have already had a US2000c open for a BMS replacement. - which was fun.

3 cell packs in these. (51v 100% soc - so 17v each pack - (10cells 3.6v each, so - 5s2p i think)

1706949079216.png1706949105125.png

1706950658560.png

I have managed to stay away from them for myself, and built with seplos kits. Runs same CAN protocol as pylontech for victron coms.

So only the older US2000 had the 15S then. Still pricey in my opinion. In our house we use two 16s 280ah EVE in plywood boxes made myself with two JK bms 200a. No coms, all control is on the GX for synchronised charging and low disconnect set on the inverters. We been running with this set up since march 2023, and charging the car as well to.

I have managed to stay away from them for myself, and built with seplos kits. Runs same CAN protocol as pylontech for victron coms.

So only the older US2000 had the 15S then. Still pricey in my opinion. In our house we use two 16s 280ah EVE in plywood boxes made myself with two JK bms 200a. No coms, all control is on the GX for synchronised charging and low disconnect set on the inverters. We been running with this set up since march 2023, and charging the car as well to.
nice, - you should add your setup over here:

weve started to add in the Domestic PV install stuff.

1706960013304.png1706960027974.png1706960051664.png1706960039956.png

I’ve recently installed two Eco-worthy 100 ah batteries with a Eco worthy battery monitor to my van and they seem to be working ok but I have not used the van with this set up yet for camping, my first time will be the spring T6 meet this year.
I have been charging my Jackery 1000 power station from the Eco worthy batterys and using this in my garage, I also have fitted an isolator from my Victron charger, my Sterling B to B and my Victron solar set up so that no charge can go to batterys when below freezing.

John.
John, however good the tech is, having manual disconnects seemed wise to me................... I went away from the automated on my victron orion B2B and there's a DP isolator on the PV

the victron B2B can pick up. my old t5's alterantor voltage it is so clever .............................and start charge IE it senses the engine is running...................... but wot if it's cold and me BMS with cold charge protection is maybe going AWOL? Same with solar a dual pole isolator allows me time to breath and ask experts

My roamer BMS has charging on at -5C the lads at Roamer have been fantastic customer care wise. I MUST add I can't emphasize how good Roamer are

I guess beyond seeing what Roamer talk me through when they get my battery back, my pragmatic thoughts are , ??????????????

should we just rely on a BMS for low temp charging disconnect protection with lith Iron Phosphate cells.?????

should those amongst us, that use victron gear IE smart mppt's older orion B2B's with no low temp charge protect also be using a smart battery sense with temp sensor as back up???????????????????? ( also just be simple and have manual cut off's in place)

I'm simple, I built in switches for me to manually cut charging, many reasons I guess probably insecurity and possibly distrust of technology .

WTF do I do if it breaks..................that kind of mindset.

since replying to John above I read the rest of this thread and my Q's became reinforced if ya like

I am utterly a layman........................................................ the one thing I take in all this is Li FE PO4 doesn't like cold charging.tis fine discharging probably beyond what we will see in blighty bar the far north or what's coming as we keep breeding like wabbits and screw our planet up completely

So if we are going to use this batt chem which costs the environment ,but gives us such longevity, such astounding off grid power

how do we really protect those cells

is a BMS with low temp disconnect enough??

I might have probs with my Roamer 230 gen 2 SB,

can I just double up and add the lads at Roamer have been amazing.jees I get replies at 8PM at night.we don't live in a perfect world we all know that, but when something doesn't go quite right and folks are there when they shouldn't be grafting.in this world that is a rare rare thing

thanks Steve and Elliot

bye

stu

Finally got our leisure battery system updated today after buying the parts during Black Friday. I thought I'd share our setup. We have a Fogstar Drift 105ah LifePO4 battery connected to a Ablemail 30a Dc to DC charger and a Victron Blue Smart 12/30 EHU charger. We also have a PV logic 150w solar connected to a PV Logic MPPT Pro controller. Now looking forward to a few days away in early spring.

IMG_3180.jpeg

IMG_3179.jpeg

I want get the same one is good battery?
its a basic cheap battery with missing features . . .

it has NO LOW TEMP Protection,

it has NO APP for BMS SOC or monitoring.

so no i wouldn't recommend this battery as you need to spend extra money getting a separate shunt for SOC etc and dealing with low temp charging protection.

i would go for a battery that has these features built in.

+++++++++++

see details here:

Back