Lithium LifePo4 12v Batteries - Time For An Upgrade?

Pollogies, Dr Google has answered, less than £400 and availability is February.
So, can I slip you £200 for yours? You don't need another surely?!!!
what we referring too here?

gotcha. . .

ill be leaving that in the van for the mean time. .

but even with that you still need a seperate temp sensor. . .

i have the BMV712 + Temp sensor, but atm the 12/12/50 is too new and the FW is not ready for the full VE Smart integration.

but im swapping that all out for a IP65 Smart shunt,

and swapping the CERBO GX out for a GLOBAL 520 . . . so watch this space.

1706010262229.png

1706010294140.png

1706010332915.png

1706010412117.png

gotcha. . .

ill be leaving that in the van for the mean time. .

but even with that you still need a seperate temp sensor. . .

i have the BMV712 + Temp sensor, but atm the 12/12/50 is too new and the FW is not ready for the full VE Smart integration.

but im swapping that all out for a IP65 Smart shunt,

and swapping the CERBO GX out for a GLOBAL 520 . . . so watch this space.

View attachment 226644

View attachment 226645

View attachment 226646

View attachment 226647
See this is exactly what I’m talking about.
This whole post is like German to me :slow rofl:
Read it 3 times now.
Still no clue :slow rofl:
Will keep trying.
Determined MF me

See this is exactly what I’m talking about.
This whole post is like German to me :slow rofl:
Read it 3 times now.
Still no clue :slow rofl:
Will keep trying.
Determined MF me

TBF . . .

none of the above really matters of you have a modern Lifepo4 battery that has LOW TEMP CHARGE protection.

which nearly all now have apart from the cheapies, ie ECO-Worthy. Chinese non brands.

and the old batteries from a few years ago like the TN mentioned above.

just check the battery spec.

but note:

ALL will say TEMP RANGE 0-60c for charging and -20-60c for discharging. (but this dosent mean they have low temp protection)

the important thing is to look through the specs to see its its states low temp protection.

its no a standard feature on most lifepo4s since the last year or two.

and if you are in anyway worried,

or like to go out camping in the snow. . .

just get a HEATED Lifepo4 - they are awesome and can be charged down to -20c

i have the Poweroad and Fogstar heated, had the Renogy as well.

1706011583760.png1706011644258.png
1706011776667.png

TBF . . .

none of the above really matters of you have a modern Lifepo4 battery that has LOW TEMP CHARGE protection.

which nearly all now have apart from the cheapies, ie ECO-Worthy. Chinese non brands.

and the old batteries from a few years ago like the TN mentioned above.

just check the battery spec.

but note:

ALL will say TEMP RANGE 0-60c for charging and -20-60c for discharging. (but this dosent mean they have low temp protection)

the important thing is to look through the specs to see its its states low temp protection.

its no a standard feature on most lifepo4s since the last year or two.
Thanks.
Don’t worry I will be nipping your head on exactly what I need to buy before I buy anything :D :p
Could see me biting the bullet and splashing out on 2 lithium batteries with low temp protection and changing the charger to B2B, keeping my Sargent, disabling the EHU on it and fitting another one, upgrading my cables, changing my solar charger to MMP and possibly upgrading my solar panel also.
Wow some of that information explosion last night must of sank in ! :slow rofl:o_O:slow rofl:

Thanks.
Don’t worry I will be nipping your head on exactly what I need to buy before I buy anything :D :p
Could see me biting the bullet and splashing out on 2 lithium batteries with low temp protection and changing the charger to B2B, keeping my Sargent, disabling the EHU on it and fitting another one, upgrading my cables, changing my solar charger to MMP and possibly upgrading my solar panel also.
Wow some of that information explosion last night must of sank in ! :slow rofl:o_O:slow rofl:
Just get 1x 200Ah plus battery, save on space! Neater wiring! Less grief... considerably cheaper than they used to be!

Pollogies, Dr Google has answered, less than £400 and availability is February.
So, can I slip you £200 for yours? You don't need another surely?!!!
Do you mean the Orion XS 12/12-50a? There's zero stock from what I can see, almost everywhere is showing as next stock due in March! £350/380 seems the going rate with a few places cheaper if you pre-order.

Do you mean the Orion XS 12/12-50a? There's zero stock from what I can see, almost everywhere is showing as next stock due in March! £350/380 seems the going rate with a few places cheaper if you pre-order.
i got mine from 12v Planet last week. . .

but they are flying off the shelves. . . . . . .

1706018117029.png

i got mine from 12v Planet last week. . .

but they are flying off the shelves. . . . . . .

View attachment 226656
Yours has the 'buck boost' name which I read somewhere was an internal name, which Victron have now changed to XS Orion. So you've managed to get a proper early model it seems!

Ah yes, here it is:
1000006419.png

"The 'smart buck boost' was the internal name before it was reconsidered for the wider market."

yep its the first batch . .

the screen printing on the front has been changed to Orion XS for later batches.

all the pics of units in the wild are BUCK-BOOST labled.

i think 12v planet had about 10.

i managed to bag one. . .

+++++

the latest FW changes the product id to Orion XS.

1706018688478.png1706018708623.png

I would be happy to give Mr Massive £200 for his used one if he wanted to sell! £340 something was the best I saw this morning availability February 5th. Probably gone now, but I'll wait for the Massive report first.

I'm just going to tack this on the end here because as @Dellmassive noted at the top of the thread I have the TN Power 100ah battery and a Renogy DC-DC. By way of a happy customer review I have had no problems with the cheap TN Power and its worked very well off grid and in general camper duties. It will keep me going with our economical fridge and carefree use of lights etc for about 4-5 days parked up without hook up. The 160w solar on the roof does its thing through the Renogy and also keeps the van battery topped up. If anything I don't use the TN Power enough and it often doesn't get below 85% on the Victron Smart Shunt.
With regard to low temperature cut off the Renogy sensor cuts charge when its too cold. Of course I can't charge it until its warmed up but as our winter trips are mostly one or two days out or windsurfing picnic days it tends to charge up on the road when the battery gets some warmth from the van heater.
So fitted the TN Power and forgot about it in 2020. Yes I did have a problem with the Renogy which I documented in another thread but I would actually recommend the new one as it does everything I need.
There are more details in my build thread, link in the signature. Hope that helps someone :)

I'm just going to tack this on the end here because as @Dellmassive noted at the top of the thread I have the TN Power 100ah battery and a Renogy DC-DC. By way of a happy customer review I have had no problems with the cheap TN Power and its worked very well off grid and in general camper duties. It will keep me going with our economical fridge and carefree use of lights etc for about 4-5 days parked up without hook up. The 160w solar on the roof does its thing through the Renogy and also keeps the van battery topped up. If anything I don't use the TN Power enough and it often doesn't get below 85% on the Victron Smart Shunt.
With regard to low temperature cut off the Renogy sensor cuts charge when its too cold. Of course I can't charge it until its warmed up but as our winter trips are mostly one or two days out or windsurfing picnic days it tends to charge up on the road when the battery gets some warmth from the van heater.
So fitted the TN Power and forgot about it in 2020. Yes I did have a problem with the Renogy which I documented in another thread but I would actually recommend the new one as it does everything I need.
There are more details in my build thread, link in the signature. Hope that helps someone :)
yep another +1 for the Renogy kit.

The DC50s is a great DC-DC charger - i wont be selling mine on while im testing this Victron XS.

i has all the profiles and comes with a temp sensor. - happy days.

infact i might even fit it in the BUS with a under seat battery setup soon.

Back