I have the THQ V3 headlights with THQ’s LED H7 dipped beam, I have recently upgraded the H1 main beam to their LED H1. They did state that the van would need coding to eliminate the bulb fault warning, However, even without coding I haven’t had any warning lamps on the dash. I am not sure why :thumbsdown:, but it’s a bonus!
Sorry @andys, I know this doesn’t really help you.

I have the THQ V3 headlights with THQ’s LED H7 dipped beam, I have recently upgraded the H1 main beam to their LED H1. They did state that the van would need coding to eliminate the bulb fault warning, However, even without coding I haven’t had any warning lamps on the dash. I am not sure why :thumbsdown:, but it’s a bonus!
Sorry @andys, I know this doesn’t really help you.
I have exactly the same set up as you and I have the warning light on the H1 even with coding. Don’t get why the difference :confused:

Just fitted these at the start of the week and decided to buy THQ’s own brand LEDs for both the H7 main beam and H1 high beam and fit them before installing the lights. THQ do say that they weren’t able to fit a big enough CANbus resistor to the H1 and that consequently T6 owners need to code out the lamp diagnostics for high beam. Well I’ve done that, and even coded out diagnostics for main beam too, but I still get the lamp out warning as soon as I engage full beam, which then stays on until I turn the ignition off. Anyone else have this problem and managed to solve it?
Just fitted these at the start of the week and decided to buy THQ’s own brand LEDs for both the H7 main beam and H1 high beam and fit them before installing the lights. THQ do say that they weren’t able to fit a big enough CANbus resistor to the H1 and that consequently T6 owners need to code out the lamp diagnostics for high beam. Well I’ve done that, and even coded out diagnostics for main beam too, but I still get the lamp out warning as soon as I engage full beam, which then stays on until I turn the ignition off. Anyone else have this problem and managed to solve it?
Andy have you tried the new Carista update has a "lamp out" monitor tick box?

What age are your vans?

I had a 68 plate for a few weeks and did many VCDS tweeks. An out of the blue unbelievable deal saw me changing it for a 19 plate one. My VCDS wouldn't do a thing, so I spoke to Gendan who confirmed that MY19 vans had changed in terms of electronics. So I needed to get the new VCDS cable.

When it came to headlights, I went for HIDs in my THQ dipped beam. I tried all sorts until speaking with the company I bought the final set from. They also told me that the MY19 vans were extremely sensitive and even with bulb monitoring turned off, most CAN BUS kits would still trigger the warning light. And sure enough, the kit they recommended worked perfectly.

What age are your vans?

I had a 68 plate for a few weeks and did many VCDS tweeks. An out of the blue unbelievable deal saw me changing it for a 19 plate one. My VCDS wouldn't do a thing, so I spoke to Gendan who confirmed that MY19 vans had changed in terms of electronics. So I needed to get the new VCDS cable.

When it came to headlights, I went for HIDs in my THQ dipped beam. I tried all sorts until speaking with the company I bought the final set from. They also told me that the MY19 vans were extremely sensitive and even with bulb monitoring turned off, most CAN BUS kits would still trigger the warning light. And sure enough, the kit they recommended worked perfectly.
That explains the hit & miss nature to the VCDS codeing..

Andy have you tried the new Carista update has a "lamp out" monitor tick box?

I don’t have Carista, but I assume it’s setting the same lamp diagnostics bits as VCDS

What age are your vans?

Mine’s a MY17 so it’s not that unfortunately:(

@andys I take it you have the box ticked to say bulb monitoring active? It's arse about face. You would think that unticked was off, but in fact it's the other way round.

@andys I take it you have the box ticked to say bulb monitoring active? It's arse about face. You would think that unticked was off, but in fact it's the other way round.
Yes I knew that, but the new layout is completely different so I had tried both ways just in case they'd changed it. However, I've solved it! I disabled all lamp diagnostics out of desperation and the problem went away, seperately added all the other light warnings back one at a time, until I got to TAIL LIGHTS at which point it came back on again. Disabled TAIL LIGHTS and it went away again. Then added back all the others apart from those two and everything was fine.
On a THQ video, Andy does mention that fitting 6.1 tail lights (which I have) can cause problems, but only to the H7 diagnostics and that coding that out solves the problem.

So anyone who has the same combination (THQ V3 Ltd black at the front with THQ H1 and H7 LEDs fitted and T6.1 tailgate rears) and gets the lamp out warning, the answer is to code out diagnostics for HIGH BEAM and TAIL LIGHTS

Last edited:
Yes I knew that, but the new layout is completely different so I had tried both ways just in case they'd changed it. However, I've solved it! I disabled all lamp diagnostics out of desperation and the problem went away, seperately added all the other light warnings back one at a time, until I got to TAIL LIGHTS at which point it came back on again. Disabled TAIL LIGHTS and it went away again. Then added back all the others apart from those two and everything was fine.
On a THQ video, Andy does mention that fitting 6.1 tail lights (which I have) can cause problems, but only to the H7 diagnostics and that coding that out solves the problem.

So anyone who has the same combination (THQ V3 Ltd black at the front with THQ H1 and H7 LEDs fitted and T6.1 tailgate rears) and gets the lamp out warning, the answer is to code out diagnostics for HIGH BEAM and TAIL LIGHTS
Brilliant..love a happy ending

Having been disappointed with every LED bulb in dipped beam, I came across these whilst looking at upgrades for out Polo's headlights.

I feel I've just about tried every option for these lights and concluded that HIDs get the best from them, however, if someone would like to give them a go and report back...

Have a 6.1 on order and didn’t spec the LED’s. Realise now that I probably should have, but have missed the boat to amend my order without losing my build slot.

So now looking to aftermarket options, but very aware that the wiring on 6.1 means this isnt a simple plug and play replacement. Spoke with TransporterHQ earlier, who confirm that they do have an aftermarket option on the way. Been delayed by Covid, but still on the cards. They just can’t say when at the moment.

I have been reading some of the 75 pages of this thread, but with so much info it is tricky to determine the best set up. But from what I now understand, it sounds like the best aftermarket setup would be:

THQ V3s ordered with standard H7 dipped bulbs + the LED H1 main beam upgrade bulbs. Then fit a 4300k HID upgrade kit for the dipped bulb. Is this correct?

Would this produce a fairly evenly matched white light between the DRLs, dipped and main beam? The THQ LEDs are rated as 6400K, so I was wondering if the 5000K or 6000K HIDs would be a better match colour wise?

6400K will be a bit of an harsh blue/white colour, 4000K is a neutral crisp white light.
The HID lamp will produce light over a wider spectrum than an LED lamp, typically that "all the colours of the rainbow" twinkling effect you get as a vehicle with discharge lights approaches at night.
As for your DRLs they go off when you're on main beam but realistically you want them to match whatever your dip lamp colour is, I would use LED throughout.

Thanks Stay Frosty. From what I have read HIDs for the dipped give a better light pattern compared to LED H7s, even if not as piercingly bright. I would rather have a better light pattern than outright brightness I think.

The other thing I was wondering was why @dubber36 settled for the 35w HIDs instead of the 55w? I haven't found the explanation for that yet...

I'll guess that 35 Watts of HID, or LED for that matter, is more than adequate at producing actual Lumens of light output well in excess of poor old Tungsten/Halogen lamps.
To my mind get colour matching H1, H7 and DRL lamps in LED so even colour and no warm up time of the HID lamp, it's worth remembering that it's the projector lens in the THQ headlights that produces the beam pattern and any decent LED lamp will have the chip in the correct position to mimic a filament type lamp.

Having tried all sorts of supposedly no error kits, I rang www.xenonbulbs.co.uk who advised me to use their 35W Terminator kit because it would work with the T6's highly strung electrics, and sure enough, it did.

Having tried all sorts of supposedly no error kits, I rang www.xenonbulbs.co.uk who advised me to use their 35W Terminator kit because it would work with the T6's highly strung electrics, and sure enough, it did.

Ahhhh thanks, that makes sense. Was there any particular reason why you went with the 4300K over the 5000K or 6000K HIDs?

I have also noted your comments regarding how dim the DRLs/indicators are on the V3s, which puts me off slightly. The V2 are still available and are cheaper - do we know if these are noticeably brighter than the V3 for the DRL/indicators? Also THQ mention on the V3 promo videos that the T5.1 V3s come ready programmed so that the dipped beam stays on while mean beam is on - is this the same for the T5.1 V2s do you know?

Back