No. They are very disappointing after H7's. With HIDs and LEDs however...
I've been looking through here and informing / confusing myself!

The THQ H1s don't fit the THQ V3 T6 lights? So the answer is H7 HIDs and another source of H1 LED?

I've got H7 nightbreakers in the caravelle lights which are quite good, but like candles compared to the factory LEDs on my golf!

Well I have finally completed the install of my new headlights! Wasn't the most straightforward of jobs as I wanted the dipped beams on with the main beams, and as I have since learned, this is not as simple on a T5.1. But it has been well worth it because you would never guess it was the same van with the overall improvement in headlights!

I went for the THQ V2s in the end as I prefer the look of the separate indicator to fill what is otherwise a void in the V3s. Plus I was really put off with the reports that the DRL/Indicator on the V3s is not bright enough; I can tell I wont have such problems on the V2s. These pics were taken at 1pm albeit slightly overcast day:
20210225_130711.jpg
20210225_151450.jpg

I have to say removing the bumper on a T5.1 is a right ballache! I watched the THQ youtube video on changing lights on a T6 and they made removing the bumper look like a 10min job. 2 hours later I finally had mine off!

I went with the THQ LED H1 bulbs for the main beams and the 35w 4300k HID kit for the H7 dipped beams, and all I can say is.... WOW! What an unbelievable transformation!! Thanks again to @dubber36 and the others for their extensive testing on this thread - this is definitely the sweet spot of bulb/headlight/cost combination.

The last thing I had to do was get the dipped bulbs to remain on with main beam engaged. Apparently a doddle on a T6 - either fit a loom adaptor which THQ supply, or do some quick VCDS coding, but neither an option on a T5.1 with these V2 headlights. So after a bit of research I found a workaround of bridging the headlight switch wire into another wire, located under the steering column. A common mod for those upgrading to the Caravelle H7 headlights apparently. So here is a pic of the wiring mod and the final result:
20210225_125930.jpg
20210225_151520.jpg

Hi @dubber36 Off thread but....could your ultimate HID H7 dipped and LED / Halogen main work in the OEM dual H7 set up?

Anyone tried it?
I would never fit HID's or LED's in dipped beam reflectors. Light will scatter and they'll just glare at oncoming traffic. LEDs in main beam should be OK as no one should ever really see them turned on.

I would never fit HID's or LED's in dipped beam reflectors. Light will scatter and they'll just glare at oncoming traffic. LEDs in main beam should be OK as no one should ever really see them turned on.
Thank you - so both lights on the standard H7s are reflector, whereas dip on the THQs is projector? I think I know what I need to do if that's right! Hugely appreciate all the work done and information shared on this!

Well I’ve read through all 77 pages of this thread got the fact at some point I will be purchasing a set of THQs headlights. I know in the dipped beams the Terminator 35w HID kit is the way to go with no bulb errors. But main beams I can’t seem to see a “Go to” bulb for these. I’m aware some have fitted the THQ H1 led bulbs but have encountered the bulb out error on the dash unless you code it out. Is the quest still ongoing to find the perfect H1 led main beam bulb? Or is it recommended to stick to halogen in these?

I fitted Twenty20 H1 LEDs in mine. I'd already coded out every single bulb warning during my trials with the lights, so they just worked... for me.

I stuck with the THQ H1 LED bulbs in mine and they have been absolutely fine. Fitted in a T5.1. Just had to do a quick wiring mod to keep dipped on with main beam.

I fitted Twenty20 H1 LEDs in mine. I'd already coded out every single bulb warning during my trials with the lights, so they just worked... for me.
@dubber36 Does the locator ring on the bulb remove on these for easier fitting? I know some led bulbs you remove the locator ring, fit the spring into place and then fit the bulb

Yes, that needs fitting first. Even then it's virtually impossible to fit them with the headlights in situ. I tried mine, gave up, then fitted them with the headlights removed when I did the grille swap for the Lazer lights.

Right V2 headlights are ordered after reading the feedback between the V2 and V3. I will be ordering the Terminator H7 HID 35w kit and the Twenty20 H1 LED bulbs, along with some PPF for the lenses. Thanks @dubber36 for the trails and tribulations with what bulb works and making things easier to bring the best out the THQ headlights

I'd really like to try these new LED bulbs, but feel like I've experimented enough. Would someone be brave enough to give them a go? @BognorMotors ?

I've got a new Tig with IQ LED headlights coming in a week or so. My main beam is sorted with the Lazers, but I'd like to see if it's possible to improve on HID dipped beam and not feel too inferior to the new car.

@dubber36 Im fitting the Twenty20 H1 bulbs into the main beam of my V2 lights and at the back of the lense where the bulb locates is a slot oriented at 4 & 10 o’clock. Once the LED bulb is through the slot it cannot be rotated. The bulb is fixed. Is this correct?

Last edited:
Most have them at 12 & 6 o' clock position.

I'm sure with mine, I fitted the collars, then the bulbs just pushed into them and were free to rotate.

@dubber36. No on the H7 HID bulb that is how they are orientated at 12 & 6 o’clock. There is no other way on them to locate them. But on the H1 LED I’ve removed the collar and fitted that but the bulb can only go through a slot that is in the lens so they can’t be rotated. It’s how the standard bulbs were oriented too at 4 & 10 o clock. As you can see there is no way to rotate the H1 LED bulb 36FBC958-66AB-4250-96F4-37D1925DDA0D.jpeg

Last edited:
Back