[T6] Alpine iLX-F905D Halo 9

The Kenwood unit let in dust under the screen.. horrible design fault . I also found The operating system toyish and unsophisticated And buggy .
the company were useless with support … it was. “Repaired“ twice and came back with the same issue .. eventually the shop didn’t want to return it yet again as they could see the dust issue was never going to end . Wireless car play is not that big a deal so I went on to the alpine halo .
the alpine halo far more grown up and better sounding ( no dust under screen ) .. BUT I had the sat nav version and it was buggy as hell in fact useless. I spent months going over settings and trying different things including a second unit .. it would not matter if I used it’s built in sat nav or my iPhone .. it would go wrong randomly but always went wrong at the crucial moment …..some sort of interference that alpine could not sort out .. and the second major pita was the fan in the unit was horrendously noisy .. unusable without the engine noise running to cover it up ! … so my switch to power from leisure battery when parked up never got used ! I just hated the noise of the fan .. probably a very good amplifier… but … if the fans deafening.. what is the point ?
alpine support was great and eventually admitted they could not provide me with a unit that would satisfy me and gave me a full refund .
i went back to the original vw unit no reverse camera no apple car play no sat nav and got back on with my life ! if and when somebody finally comes up with a decent unit I will consider upgrading .. but for now its Like massively overpriced toys that fail on so many levels .. I cannot put up with it .
I’ve got the Alpine Halo with built in maps but can safely say I can’t hear the fan. I do find it crashes a bit too often but then so did the VW head unit. It also needs higher definition.

I’ve got the Alpine Halo with built in maps but can safely say I can’t hear the fan. I do find it crashes a bit too often but then so did the VW head unit. It also needs higher definition.
I had two halo units both had extremely noisy fans once they warmed up .. I am fussy I know ( particularly about noise ) but at £1200+ I don’t want a hairdryer in my dash board . It’s fine when engine running etc but parked up when I wanted to listen to music with the unit switched to my leisure battery i found it unacceptable .. I do listen to classical music and music with a large dynamic range so I notice background noise during quiet sections I also listen to language courses and again I’m not happy with a constant fan noise .. other than that and the low resolution screen and the sat nav failing to know where it was most of the time . It was a good unit lol

I fitted a shark fin due to poor gps and dab even VW saw the light with the 6.1
since ditching a sat nav enabled unit and just using my iphones gps I’ve no more sat nav issues .. there was some conflict between the iPhone and either the provided gps aerial or the built in vw t6 gps aerial.. even using the built in gps aerial in the drivers side wing mirror didn’t fix the issue .. both my Kenwood and alpine units failed gloriously when ever I attempted to rely in them ..of course they would kind of work but there would always be some monumental error at the crucial time ..

Hi, I have the Alpine INE F904D unit installed. everything is fine just control the phone on the multifunction steering wheel is not comfortable I can not browse the phone book through the steering wheel only through the display unit and it is quite inconvenient is it normal? or is it possible to encode it somehow? Can someone please help me. all connecting components are original Alpine

It's normal to only have recent calls on the dash. Another backward step from VW as you could access contacts with the steering wheel with the older RNS/RCD radios.

I've just bought the halo 9 plus plug and play kit from transporter HQ going to fit it this evening is there anything I need to look out for

Make sure you fit the plastic piece in the back of the screen or it won't turn on... Will it @Texxaco

One other thing @T6 HLN , set the screen height as you want it to be moving forward as it’s a lot of work to set it up again. Plus you only get so many black stickers to cover the screws.

You will see what I mean when you set the screen up.

Use the alpine microphone as the vw in built one doesn't work with the Halo and the plug and play kit (unless someone has got it to work). I found that out on my halo 11 after pushing it back. Also if you can run an input hdmi to your glovebox along with the other usb input. That way you can use a Firestick.

Thanks guys all went well apart from I dint use the alpine mic so I'm going to take it out again tonight luckily I dint put the surround on.

Use the alpine microphone as the vw in built one doesn't work with the Halo and the plug and play kit (unless someone has got it to work). I found that out on my halo 11 after pushing it back. Also if you can run an input hdmi to your glovebox along with the other usb input. That way you can use a Firestick.
I have done this with a firestorm but it’s intermittent, how did you get it to work, do you have the van of but the ignition on?

Yeah I have to have the ignition on which is strange. If it's off but still has the power to radio it won't work. Have engine running and it locks the screen out. I haven't tried a separate power supply for the firestick just incase it's that.

So all fitted ended up fitting the under seat sub to really pleased with it all the only thing that's not quite right is some of the buttons don't do what there supposed to the volume up and down works and the skip track but phone ones don't work and mute button changes function as does the speak button. The steering wheel is a mark 7 golf R wheel but all buttons works correctly with the VW stereo is this something that can be sorted with VCDS.

So all fitted ended up fitting the under seat sub to really pleased with it all the only thing that's not quite right is some of the buttons don't do what there supposed to the volume up and down works and the skip track but phone ones don't work and mute button changes function as does the speak button. The steering wheel is a mark 7 golf R wheel but all buttons works correctly with the VW stereo is this something that can be sorted with VCDS.
@Dav-Tec one for you Chris?

Cheers @Texxaco. There should be any coding with an aftermarket radio. If the buttons worked with the VW one it should with the Alpine.

Out of curiosity what wiring kit did you get? Is it the genuine Alpine one. Seen a couple of companies making a cheaper one but from what I've read they're useless.

Also randomly have you tried the battery hard reset. It's a wild card but you never know

Back