I know this is not strickly in the correct post but I did not want to start another on the same old subject, plus it is relevent to the T32 wheel choise.

T32 wheels and tyre choice. I will cut straight to is as I have ordered the new wheels thanks to DaveF for his assistance. BBS XA 20” by 9.5 ET42 1000kg

So I would still like peoples opinion on which of the following options you would suggest or avoid.

Option 1

265/40R20 104 According to Wheel-sIze.com
Diameter increase of 33mm
Circumference increased by 105mm
Revolutions per mile decreased by 5%
Speedo down by 5% 60mph will read 63mph

Option 2

275/40R20 106 Diameter increased by 41mm
Circumference increased by 130mm
Revolutions per mile decreased by 6%
Speedo down by 6% 60mph will read 63.5mph

Option 3

275/35/R20 102 Diameter increased by 14mm
Circumference increased by 45mm
Revolutions per mile decreased by 2%
Speedo down by 2% 60mph will read 61.1mph

So Option 1 & 2 give the correct load rating (103) but through the gearing out. Option 3 is closest to retained the original gearing but is just under required load rating for T32 but only just.

I know people run different things and I am interested on what your take would be on this. Is the gearing and extra leverage for both breaking and cornering an issue? in your view as I know people will each have a different view on this.

I am thinking on the lines of option 1 as I know someone is running this and it was recommended by a very good source, plus I think it will look the best as well as I don’t want something that looks massively wide or low.

You cannot legally go under the weight rating, a T32 will fail its MOT, and you will run the risk of not being insured. Option 3 ruled out.
Option 1 seems to be the preferred option from people who have experimented. A 5% increase in gearing is significant, but with a decent engine, and probably not getting upto the 5300kg GTW (including trailer), I think you'll be fine.
My choice would be 255/45/20 because there is such a larger choice of tyres, such as all-seasons etc etc.

You cannot legally go under the weight rating, a T32 will fail its MOT, and you will run the risk of not being insured. Option 3 ruled out.
Option 1 seems to be the preferred option from people who have experimented. A 5% increase in gearing is significant, but with a decent engine, and probably not getting upto the 5300kg GTW (including trailer), I think you'll be fine.
My choice would be 255/45/20 because there is such a larger choice of tyres, such as all-seasons etc etc.
Agreed

Seeing as your going for 9.5 " rims i'd be inclined to go for the 265/40 option , as you will have better wheel protection from the tyre . just a thought ;)

Thanks for the replys. @chriscroft I agree with your view on option 3. I put it in as quite a few wheel/tyre places put the 102 up as an option and I did actually call my insurance whos responce was "it will not invalidate the policy providing the tyres are legal in the eys of the police" Nice grey answer there. I would assume that this is something that could! not be an issue but equally is not 100% not to spec so definatly could be a problem.

255/45/R20 Had not tried that one and would be spot on as a 35 profile but as a 45 are 7% increase.

It would seem 265/40 R20 is the way to go and just keep in mind that actual speed could be higher than indicated.

I nearly ordered these and will pop them in here as the original purpose of this thread was for T32 rated options. Available in 17-18-19 and 20 inch 8.5-9.5 amd 10J all 900KG

alloy-wheels-rims-tsw-sprint-5-lug-gloss-black-mirror-cut-face-std-700.jpg

Thanks for the replys. @chriscroft I agree with your view on option 3. I put it in as quite a few wheel/tyre places put the 102 up as an option and I did actually call my insurance whos responce was "it will not invalidate the policy providing the tyres are legal in the eys of the police" Nice grey answer there. I would assume that this is something that could! not be an issue but equally is not 100% not to spec so definatly could be a problem.

255/45/R20 Had not tried that one and would be spot on as a 35 profile but as a 45 are 7% increase.

It would seem 265/40 R20 is the way to go and just keep in mind that actual speed could be higher than indicated.

I nearly ordered these and will pop them in here as the original purpose of this thread was for T32 rated options. Available in 17-18-19 and 20 inch 8.5-9.5 amd 10J all 900KG

View attachment 27293
That’s a nice rim.

Interesting about the 255 45 sizing - my mate has them on his (but they are 105V though)

Would the tyre size affect anything other than the speedo?

Interesting about the 255 45 sizing - my mate has them on his (but they are 105V though)

Would the tyre size affect anything other than the speedo?
They fit fine, you may need a small spacer depending on wheel et off set; and so long as you haven't dropped it too much.
Some people have had to use a hair dryer to re-mold the plastic inner wheel arch liner a bit on the front wheels, but others haven't.

If you check out the Amarok wheel threads
Vw Amorak 20" Wheels
@Brennanpj is running a set

View attachment 27293
I don't see where the grey area is? They're telling you that your insurance wouldn't be invalidated as long as the tyres were legal - insufficiently load rated tyres would not be legal, therefore the insurance would be invalidated. Seems pretty black and white to me

I don't see where the grey area is? They're telling you that your insurance wouldn't be invalidated as long as the tyres were legal - insufficiently load rated tyres would not be legal, therefore the insurance would be invalidated. Seems pretty black and white to me
Depending if the load rating of the tyre is noticed by the surveyor

That's like saying the legality of murder is a bit of a grey area if no one notices you doing it
Correct... innocent until proven guilty. Although I’d run the correct tyre personally. I’m currently looking for wheels for my T32 lwb. Fancied the judds but this thread has put me off slightly, I might go for 19’s

Correct... innocent until proven guilty. Although I’d run the correct tyre personally. I’m currently looking for wheels for my T32 lwb. Fancied the judds but this thread has put me off slightly, I might go for 19’s
Fair enough if you want to take the risk, I was just pointing out that legality and getting away without being caught are quite different things.

At the end of the day, "each to their own". The beauty of these vans be being able to personalise them to what you.

T6F only wishes to highlight what the legal requirement is for a T32 vehicle.
This thread was only ever mean to be a source for members to use, as factual information on what WHEELS were suitable.

My first real post so hi to everyone.

I've read through for a few months now what options there were for new alloys / tyres to fit a T32. My van already came fitted with 20" alloys and cheap Powertrac 275/40/20 tyres as fitted by Leighton Vans and from day one never felt right. I've now fitted 20 x 9" Khan RS600 alloys which I was dubious fitting as I hadn't seen that anyone else had them fitted. Tyres are Goodyear Eagle 265/40/20. For what might seem pretty much a like for like swap the drive has been transformed. I can't believe what a difference its made!

One word of warning for anyone with the 20" Zito alloys supplied by Leightons. When I took mine off they are stamped 815kg max load which is obviously under whats required for a T32. When i've questioned this with them I've been told they must have been stamped wrong and have been given a copy of a Chinese test certificate showing ok to 900kg. I'm not convinced but at the moment haven't taken it any further.

van wheels.jpg

My first real post so hi to everyone.

I've read through for a few months now what options there were for new alloys / tyres to fit a T32. My van already came fitted with 20" alloys and cheap Powertrac 275/40/20 tyres as fitted by Leighton Vans and from day one never felt right. I've now fitted 20 x 9" Khan RS600 alloys which I was dubious fitting as I hadn't seen that anyone else had them fitted. Tyres are Goodyear Eagle 265/40/20. For what might seem pretty much a like for like swap the drive has been transformed. I can't believe what a difference its made!

One word of warning for anyone with the 20" Zito alloys supplied by Leightons. When I took mine off they are stamped 815kg max load which is obviously under whats required for a T32. When i've questioned this with them I've been told they must have been stamped wrong and have been given a copy of a Chinese test certificate showing ok to 900kg. I'm not convinced but at the moment haven't taken it any further.

View attachment 29356

That's a lovely bus dude, but there's no way those wheels have been stamped incorrectly, I'd demand replacements that are correctly stamped.

I agree with @Insert Coin - Leighton are telling lies and there's no way they've been stamped incorrectly. If you 'd had an accident you'd technically be driving an unfit van (possibly breaking the law). Leighton should definitely replace them or issue a refund - fancy fitting cheap Chinese rubbish in the first place!

Back