Load rating on Land Rover/Range Rover wheels - SOLVED

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Because the interweb doesn't appear to have a single source of truth about JLR rims, I've grabbed a couple of sources to try and write it down.

Load Rating - Wheels
1601993443313.png
940 kg load marking on inside of spoke323 viewsThis is a typical 940 kg load marking on a Cromodora wheel rated for the 3. In this case, the wheel is the 6 spoke 19" wheel common to the HSE, LR Part # ALY72191U.
Only the (superceded) 2.7 ltr D4 weighs (just) less than an RRS. Even so, the D4 2.7 still has a greater Gross Vehicle Mass, so rims for any D4 are load-rated at 940kg, whereas for the RRS the largest load-rated rim is 900kg.
Wheels and Tyres - DISCO3.CO.UK Knowledge Base

Wheel weight ratings:

As at Jan 2009, all Discovery 3 factory fit and dealer fit wheels (17, 18 & 19") have been rated at 940kg per rim. While it is physically possible to fit wheels from the Range Rover Sport and some later FFRR wheels, it should be noted that the rims are rated for a lower weight.

FFRR - 925kg

RRS - 900kg

Fitment of the FFRR or RRS rims may therefore have an impact on your insurance. If in doubt, always check with your insurer. To date there have been no incidents reported on DISCO3.CO.UK of either FFRR or RRS wheels failing, nor have there been any reports of insurers questioning the fitment of these wheels.

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - Are Discovery 3 HSE alloys same as range rover 19" allo
There is also the load rating of the 3 wheel to consider.

Stamped on the inside of the stock Italian manufacture, (Cromodora), wheels should be a load rating - something like 940 kgs, (2,072 pounds), and also the number 53, the Offset, I think it is called.

I doubt that you will find any other Land Rover wheel rated that high. The RR Sport is close, (900 kgs, 1,985 pounds, I think), and the RR HSE, (FFRR), somewhat greater, but still less than the D3 loading.

• So the Land Rover Discovery is the heaviest Land Rover, and hence the highest load ratings of the LR/RR wheels, at 940kg.
  • The Range Rover Sport wheels are rated to 900kg.
  • The Range Rover HSE [does that abbreviation "FFRR" mean Full-Fat Range Rover?! :-D] are rated at 925kg.
So, referencing this to the T6 load ratings, any of these Land Rover/Range Rover wheels have a high enough load rating for any of the T6 Transporter variants (yes, even the T32 only needs 860kg). Best to check :cool:

On a related note, and so that someone doesn't have to go through this pain again, not all Land Rover/Range Rover wheels will fit Transporters, simply because of the PCD even though they are load rated.

Wheel-size.com is really useful as it lists the PCD for each LR model. IIRC Discovery, Range Rover Sport and Range Rover HSE wheels are the right PCD, Discovery Sport, Evoque and Velar wheels are not.

So, confusingly, that pattern of spokes is available as a 8Jx20 for an Evoque, but the PCD is 5x108 so will not fit. The one you want is the 9Jx20 from the Range Rover Sport, which had a PCD of 5x120. It looks like it was discontinued after 2011 (that is, they don't list a 9Jx20 for RR Sport after 2011). So you should beware of copies too. The more recent version is a 22" wheel for the RRS.

So I would ask that ebay vendor to send a picture of the stamps inside the rim. The offset is listed as ET53 on Wheel-size.com, not ET50, and the spokes in the two pictures in the advert don't even match!

Back