The Black Bilstein shocks are their budget B4 range , they are Dual tube so naturally more comfortable than the more expensive B 6, B 8 and B 14 BUT More expensive ? that doesn't make sense ! also no damping adjust-ability, Its basically a Solow kit ( THQ ) with out the extra low stance , that kit is £ 1300 .

Sleeve at chilli
Are proper sleeve any better,
Whether the thread is on a sleeve or machined into the body of the shock itself, they still offer height adjustment, but having the thread as part of the body of the shock makes it easier to adjust.

It also makes me think that the shock was designed to be a height adjustable shock in the first place, rather than an existing shock body that has had a cheap sleeve slipped over it to add that function.

I would rather have the real thing.

Thanks for the sarcasm
A quick link would be great
Only asked
Andy
Comfort and handling come from the shock absorber , this is the important bit , The height adjustment comes from a sleeve over, or Proper coil over strut , the main advantage of a proper coil over is the height adjustable range . Its more on a coil over than sleeve over. From a performance point of view it doesn't matter which way the height is adjusted . hope that helps

At 40 mm there is no need unless you already sense there is a problem 40 mm will not change the wheel alignment at all .
If you want to check it there is a company next door who we can pop in to and get it checked ?

We would always recommend an alignment after any suspension work, especially as most come out of the factory with the steering wheel misaligned to the right . I’m surprised you don’t offer this service or even have the equipment to do it yourself. Correct alignment is a massive part of our business.

We would always recommend an alignment after any suspension work, especially as most come out of the factory with the steering wheel misaligned to the right .
I’m surprised you don’t offer this service or even have the equipment to do it yourself. Correct alignment is a massive part of our business.

Interesting comments Oli ?
We are getting about 20 to 30 vans through our workshop a month . I test drive all of them and i haven't seen one that has a misaligned steering wheel ? If the steering wheel is slightly off center it doesn't mean the alignment is out but more that the steering wheel is off true .
are you centralizing this by adjusting the tie rods and shifting the steering rack to one side , or are you taking the steering wheel off and centralizing that ?

On the few occasions we do check alignment we have never once had to adjust anything . Bearing in mind a van can go down 40 to 50 mm on bad bumps with out going out of alignment

what do you generally find wrong with the alignment when you lower them , or is it a precautionary thing ??

we do get it done if the customer wishes , and i dont have the space for the equipment in my unit to answer your question.

Just read this from a different thread. I think this has the answers you are after. (excuse the crude copy and paste....the share link option wasn't working)
1593660676557.png

Project twin Tube ( Chilli jam KONI kit ) 40 to 70 mm H&R 50 to 80mm Because the H&R kit is a proper threaded body coil over it has more adjustment ./

So very similar if you require midrange adjustments as the ranges are the same (40mm) other than one goes lower and the other will ride higher if required
Personal choice in the height side of things between the two kits

Not being bias on either kit, does a sleeve make a lot of difference
Does the brand of spring make a lot of difference, is one make better made than some others ?

Thanks in advance

Had a very pleasant chat with Steve @CRS Performance this morning. As a consequence, I have now ordered ( 2016 T6 / T32 / 4Motion ) Koni Sports Shocks + 50mm Lowering Springs + H&R Hub Centric Spacers (20mm front and 25mm out back). My goal is handling / comfort, and aesthetics in that order. I'm running standard 17" Devonports at present. Should look far better when the arches are filled out. I shall contemplate the LV-1 Leighton alloys when the new colours are released.

Would just like to thank everyone for all their posts, photos and intell. on this front. This forum is a gold mine of information. Had I lived nearer CRS, Bognor, Leigthon etc I would have used them for fitting. I'm up in Aberdeen so now looking for a local garage that won't turn their nose up at fitting parts they haven't sourced. Have driven well sorted hot hatches all my life so looking forward to banishing the corner wallow on my van ( especially noticeable on an unladen T32 ..)

Thanks,
Cal

Had a very pleasant chat with Steve @CRS Performance this morning. As a consequence, I have now ordered ( 2016 T6 / T32 / 4Motion ) Koni Sports Shocks + 50mm Lowering Springs + H&R Hub Centric Spacers (20mm front and 25mm out back). My goal is handling / comfort, and aesthetics in that order. I'm running standard 17" Devonports at present. Should look far better when the arches are filled out. I shall contemplate the LV-1 Leighton alloys when the new colours are released.

Would just like to thank everyone for all their posts, photos and intell. on this front. This forum is a gold mine of information. Had I lived nearer CRS, Bognor, Leigthon etc I would have used them for fitting. I'm up in Aberdeen so now looking for a local garage that won't turn their nose up at fitting parts they haven't sourced. Have driven well sorted hot hatches all my life so looking forward to banishing the corner wallow on my van ( especially noticeable on an unladen T32 ..)

Thanks,
Cal

Thanks,
Cal
Hi Calsonic.. Would love to see the finished drop with the 50mm and the report on the koni sport active.. This is hopefully the route I will go for 40 or 50mm? Not sure if I can stretch to the alloys straight off so it would good to see the drop with the Devons...

Thanks,
Cal
Sounds like we're in the same boat here. I also have a T32 but the new 6.1 model. It only arrived on Friday and I'm keen to get the ride sorted ASAP. I guess being a T32 makes a difference too. I will probably only go 18's though as comfort is a big priority of mine.
I drove a similar vehicle yesterday but on Bilstein's with 20's - Not blown away by it as such but I don't have anything to compare unfortunately. Hopefully trying some Koni's soon...
When are you fitting yours?

Hi all ..... just thought I’d update this with my experience with the H&R 40mm springs and Koni shocks .

phoned @CRS Performance and spoke to Steve , who was very helpful and asked me questions with regards what the van was used for and spec of the van . He then used his knowledge to put the kit together for me . Received the kit 2 days later .

01C01F6C-B140-461A-8C82-BDA5B3CD9878.jpeg

Then got my trusted mechanic to fit for me . All went on super smooth. It’s been mentioned on here that an alignment isn’t always needed . But if I’m spending good money on quality suspension , don’t see why you wouldn’t have a all wheel alignment done for what it costs after .
The alignment was out and so all adjusted correctly

03FA3F0E-012E-4AE6-8B1D-93FA8E11E459.jpegB087F7D0-BB83-4AE5-BCAC-4EA239C6272E.jpeg

We done a 60 miles round trip the other day in it .

Wow what an improvement!

Around town and at lower speeds on cracked / rubbish roads it’s still firm but it’s knocked the edge off the crashy ride . The biggest improvement for me is when you start getting above 30 mph ... so much smoother . Also noticed a slight reduction in road noise . It also sits nice for me on the springs . Slight rake to it ( around 10-20mm front to back ) and for what I wanted is the perfect blend from looking more purposeful , still being at a usable height and ride quality . Would I like it lower ? Yes ..... but I’d scrape out of our drive and be less usable for what we bought the van for .
All in all ..... very happy indeed . It’s still a van and doesn’t handle like a hot hatch / sports car and to be honest you really can’t expect it too . This set up makes the van a lot more comfortable , usable and enjoyable.
Big thanks to @CRS Performance for the kit and professional service

Thanks,
Cal
Where in Aberdeen. I know a guy in Oldmeldrum who has gone out on his own but was a vag tech for many a year......his prices are very good. Just had my timing belt and pump done by him. Pm me if you want his details.......very knowledgeable and approachable guy.
And then there is Tawse tyres just in Inverurie that has hunter 4 wheel alignment if you wanted it checked.

Back