Yeah, strap some speakers to the wheels, it’s the way forward! :slow rofl:

I think I may have had an issue of fat fingers there, obviously I meant spacers (or maybe it was my fat head!)

I had my Koni's Shocks + 50mm H&R Sport Springs + 20mm / 25mm H&R Hubcentric Spacers fitted today. All kit supplied by Steve @CRS Performance. The install was undertaken by a local garage who found the install relatively easy.

I'm incredibly pleased with the outcome :mexican wave:. I now have a firm, car like pliant ride. No longer do I dread tight corners, roundabouts etc. I'm glad I opted for Sports Shocks, and not springs alone (based on various sourced of feedback in here). The van is particularly composed at higher speeds and I can actually enjoy the twisties. Diving under breaking has also banished. I also notice a significant decrease in road noise. I was originally going to go with a 40mm drop as I'm more interested in handling rather than stance. I own a T32 so Steve @ CRS advised that 50mm would be prime given the higher load capacity / heavier van. He was spot on ...

The spacers have allowed an OEM look with the Devonports but equally filled out the arches and given her a beefier' stance. Some before and after pics....

Before when Standard

View attachment 77494

After ( with a few subtle styling modifications )

View attachment 77495

Before ( Side on )

View attachment 77496

After ( Side on )

View attachment 77497

And some General After images showing the effect of the 50mm Drop and Spacers

View attachment 77499

View attachment 77500

View attachment 77501
View attachment 77502

View attachment 77503

View attachment 77504

View attachment 77505

View attachment 77506

View attachment 77509

Contemplating 19's or 20's down then line but slightly weary that they may comprise the current, excellent ride quality. Shall run with the spacers for a solid test period first.

Thanks to the many T6 forum contributors for their sharing and inspiration :)

Cal.
Looks great. Congrats!
I'm getting my suspension replaced by CRS this weekend...I can't wait :) Not even had my van for 2 weeks yet but the ride is really starting to get on my nerves now!
May I ask where you got your satin side bars from please? Cheers

Big thanks to Steve and the team @CRS Performance who worked their magic on my project 400 van today. We discovered the top mounts on my van were shot and Steve managed to sort getting new one for the van in double quick time! (Plus it meant another nice coffee and a Hub mod while I waited!
85mm lower than standard with KONI coil over kit and so much nicer to drive, I actually aim for pot holes now instead of avoiding them! I had such a great drive home and 2 drives since! Just got to finish the rest of the van now!

I will post pictures of the van as soon as I manage to locate some better wheels for it! I’m looking for 19’s or 20’s black wheels really preferably Gloss, or wheels that are cheap enough to refurbish in black. PM me if you know of any. Thanks guys.

I had my Koni's Shocks + 50mm H&R Sport Springs + 20mm / 25mm H&R Hubcentric Spacers fitted today. All kit supplied by Steve @CRS Performance. The install was undertaken by a local garage who found the install relatively easy.

I'm incredibly pleased with the outcome :mexican wave:. I now have a firm, car like pliant ride. No longer do I dread tight corners, roundabouts etc. I'm glad I opted for Sports Shocks, and not springs alone (based on various sourced of feedback in here). The van is particularly composed at higher speeds and I can actually enjoy the twisties. Diving under breaking has also banished. I also notice a significant decrease in road noise. I was originally going to go with a 40mm drop as I'm more interested in handling rather than stance. I own a T32 so Steve @ CRS advised that 50mm would be prime given the higher load capacity / heavier van. He was spot on ...

The spacers have allowed an OEM look with the Devonports but equally filled out the arches and given her a beefier' stance. Some before and after pics....

Before when Standard

View attachment 77494

After ( with a few subtle styling modifications )

View attachment 77495

Before ( Side on )

View attachment 77496

After ( Side on )

View attachment 77497

And some General After images showing the effect of the 50mm Drop and Spacers

View attachment 77499

View attachment 77500

View attachment 77501
View attachment 77502

View attachment 77503

View attachment 77504

View attachment 77505

View attachment 77506

View attachment 77509

Contemplating 19's or 20's down then line but slightly weary that they may comprise the current, excellent ride quality. Shall run with the spacers for a solid test period first.

Thanks to the many T6 forum contributors for their sharing and inspiration :)

Cal.
How are feeling about your setup now a few months down the line? Whats your thoughts on the spacers... woudl you spec them again? many thanks Simon

Hey @Kingsimon2000

Yes, no regrets at all. My van feels more like my old GTi with active damping in terms of road holding and pitching etc. I'm on country roads all the time and they're now a pleasure not a chore.

Often up dirt tracks and fire roads for MTB'ing. The suspension is firm to the point where I would not contemplate 20's. 19's perhaps but I reckon a thin sidewall would be murder with a 50mm drop and low profile tyres.

The spacers are still on and I think they really enhance the look. They are beautifully machined. I'm still delighted with my choice and thing it's £1k+ well spent.

I have the BiTurbo 4motion model which compliments the handling nicely. At motorway speeds she feels nicely settled too.

I still pine after some sexy alloys but currently enjoy the "OEM+" style stance. The pictures do the talking on the front.

Have also contemplated a front splitter but wish to keep her kerb / parking friendly ...

New photo below ..

View attachment 82639
many thanks, Cal for the great write up. its crazy how much of an optical illusion the oem wheels are on the stock suspension... mine look so small .... just juggling the diary to get a slot booked in with steve.

As a T6 newbie I have been reading this topic with interest. It is great that there are people here with so much practical experience to give advice. We always choose and prefer performance over comfort when setting up a car mod project.

Therefore I would like to ask a question about my T6.1 project and especially about the B14 coilover (40-70 mm.) if I may? @CRS Performance and to others who know 'stuff' :cool:

Dropped 50 mm. on a brand new T6.1 LWB 4Motion DSG it surprises me, - just as @TimBath wrote before, quote : " If you have not seen the B14s fitted you won't know that the rear springs are almost fully compressed when stationary" (#52 page 4) - that the rear spring is indeed pretty compressed, without any extra weight int the T6. Picture here below is taken during alignment :

20200828_150335[1].jpg

Please correct my reasoning : The more compressed a spring the more weight or power is needed to compress it some more. The guys at Bilstein probably know what they are doing so this compression as shown on the picture is normal under the mentioned circumstances ? Is this setting normal ? Is there a picture available of a mounted spring of the H&R-KONI set ?

The T6.1 performs very good on this B14 set, (although a lot more firm than e.g. KW V1 or KW V3, Eibach Street Comfort) excellent handling and control. Pretty impressive if I may say so as a 1st timer on a B14 (only the oem ARB's don't keep up) but the rear spring is a concern of us.

Pleased if someone is willing to help us out.

As a T6 newbie I have been reading this topic with interest. It is great that there are people here with so much practical experience to give advice. We always choose and prefer performance over comfort when setting up a car mod project.

Therefore I would like to ask a question about my T6.1 project and especially about the B14 coilover (40-70 mm.) if I may? @CRS Performance and to others who know 'stuff' :cool:

Dropped 50 mm. on a brand new T6.1 LWB 4Motion DSG it surprises me, - just as @TimBath wrote before, quote : " If you have not seen the B14s fitted you won't know that the rear springs are almost fully compressed when stationary" (#52 page 4) - that the rear spring is indeed pretty compressed, without any extra weight int the T6. Picture here below is taken during alignment :

View attachment 84056

Please correct my reasoning : The more compressed a spring the more weight or power is needed to compress it some more. The guys at Bilstein probably know what they are doing so this compression as shown on the picture is normal under the mentioned circumstances ? Is this setting normal ? Is there a picture available of a mounted spring of the H&R-KONI set ?

The T6.1 performs very good on this B14 set, (although a lot more firm than e.g. KW V1 or KW V3, Eibach Street Comfort) excellent handling and control. Pretty impressive if I may say so as a 1st timer on a B14 (only the oem ARB's don't keep up) but the rear spring is a concern of us.

That is normal for a B14 rear spring (as with many other similar setups). The springs are progressive and designed to be coil bound, especially on lower settings. The bottom couple of coils are actually covered in a rubberised material to prevent wear due to this.

So I finally made it to see Steve and Steve at CRS yesterday. I had had so many chats and emails talking about options and when I could come etc but it all came together and after 2 hours work! I was out and driving a totally different van from what I had arrived in. My previous t6 driving experiences were in LV rental vans... Super crashy... and then for the last month and a bit in my new t6.1. Of which I had taken to gently driving about in the hills near me in the peaks.. a bit rolly around the corners and bouncy pram of the bumps. Taking it easy as that was how the van felt it should be driven. Well, that's now out the window. The new set up is like getting a totally different van, handles great and now I'm definitely driving it in a more fun way. I've attached a few snaps of the kit going on below. I'm sticking with the devon's due to budgets and went with the spacers to pop the wheels out. My thinking that if I find a big of cash I could new wheels next year and sell the spacers on..
One detail to note is buy 21mm spacers for the front, not 20mm .. see detail photo. Steve showed me that this extra mm allows the heads of the bolts to sit flush with the face of the spacer. Just got to work out now what to do with this big box of old suspension bits.

IMG_6628.JPG

IMG_6629.JPG

IMG_6630.JPG

IMG_6631.JPG

IMG_6632.JPG

IMG_6634.JPG

IMG_6635.JPG

IMG_6636.JPG

View attachment 84056

The spring in the B14 kit is not a Bilstein spring and the kit itself isn't made by Bilstein so to assume Bilstein know what they are doing isn't relevant . I have often wondered why Bilstein Germany dont sell this kit . . The issue is that the company that actually make this kit have one spring fits all scenario . The Vans that these kits are fitted to are very different in weights and the heavy vans almost collapse the rear spring , We actually removed a Brand new B 14 kit two weeks ago that had done 1000 miles the car arrived at our workshop 100 mm lower than standard ??? Fitted by one of the leading B14 suppliers . , The kit is a 40 to 70 mm kit as mentioned earlier in the thread . The main problem is that fitting this kit to a heavy van requires the rear adjuster winding all the way down to get close to the 70 mm drop . ( it should get to 40 mm which is the spec but cant !! ) the load on the rear spring once pre tensioned to maximum causes the spring to block out and the bottom pig tail breaks . ( see attached picture ) The ARB upgrade wont help solve this problem sadly .
I do keep extra stock of our rear spring which doesn't have this problem so we can assist B 14 owners having issues ! Ill get to post a picture of the H&R rear spring asap /,. In the pictures below you can see the design of the H&R spring is very different to the B 14 one . we don't have the 3 bottom coils touching at all . Looking at the picture of the B14 fitted the rear spring looks like it has 20 mm plus movement before blocking out that means , a bad bump will bottom the suspension and give a very harsh feel .

7CDF565B-012A-4DD8-A818-1F3EBAC2CE95.jpeg

VW-T5-T6-BILSTEIN-B14-COILOVERS-TRANSPORTER-CARAVELLE-T26-T28-T30-FULL-KIT-122196846604-600x338.jpg

IMG_1993.JPG

Great visit to CRS yesterday. Thanks to Steve and his team. Excellent service and solid product knowledge. Before and Afters, on 18 inch alloys. So much better ride.

Loaded - Stock Suspension.jpgLoaded - Lowered Suspension.jpg

Nice. What height are you at now? Any clearance issues?
Thanks! Not grounded out on anything yet, but it's only been 24 hrs since changing so being very careful on uneven ground. Fingers crossed, the side gap is big enough. If not, then I will have to fit some alternative side bars that are not as low down, as that is the lowest part of the van to the ground.

Great visit to CRS yesterday. Thanks to Steve and his team. Excellent service and solid product knowledge. Before and Afters, on 18 inch alloys. So much better ride.

View attachment 90671View attachment 90672
Many thanks for kind words , you can now join the CRS Gang which grew by over 60 vans last month , we are increasing stock holding to well over a 100 kits now to keep ahead of the demand and not run out of Stock (Stock is always an issue in the demanding Transporter industry) . Our wholesale side is getting going nicely now so we can eventually service clients who cant make the long drive to us. Its very flattering and we never take this work for granted .

I`m so pleased I joined this forum and read the CRS posts before I let a local company fit the B14 kit. When I eventually get home and pick our van up it`ll be a trip down to get it sorted.

Back