Cheers, I'm in Cults. Had one quote today from a VW Indy Garage for £500 + VAT to fit all the kit. Seems way off the mark but they did say it might be cheaper ; they won't know until they finished the work. Got a garage near Portlethen installing them next week and he's worked on a fair few T5's. Should be far cheaper with labour <£50 ph.

From my research anything from £250-£350 is about right for fitting . The true coilovers will be more from my experience, as they take a lot longer to get the ride height all adjusted up to how you want to run them

From my research anything from £250-£350 is about right for fitting . The true coilovers will be more from my experience, as they take a lot longer to get the ride height all adjusted up to how you want to run them
I'm sure Calsonic is having sport shocks and springs fitted. Its not the coilovers so will be a really straight forward change especially as its a T32 ( easier than the T28 and T30)
Would you like this guys details......I'm sure he will be cheaper and its only a wee jaunt down the new bypass :thumbsup:

View attachment 76400
This is mine - completed by CRS and lowered 80mm on Koni Coilovers.
Nice. It's strange though because yours doesn't look like it's 30mm lower than the previous post by @Bodyboarder81 ???
What's the main difference in going for coilovers? Is it just the ability to adjust the ride height or is there any difference in comfort? I can imagine your set-up if firmer than above. Would you say that's true? Cheers.

Hi all ..... just thought I’d update this with my experience with the H&R 40mm springs and Koni shocks .

phoned @CRS Performance and spoke to Steve , who was very helpful and asked me questions with regards what the van was used for and spec of the van . He then used his knowledge to put the kit together for me . Received the kit 2 days later .

View attachment 76397

Then got my trusted mechanic to fit for me . All went on super smooth. It’s been mentioned on here that an alignment isn’t always needed . But if I’m spending good money on quality suspension , don’t see why you wouldn’t have a all wheel alignment done for what it costs after .
The alignment was out and so all adjusted correctly

View attachment 76398View attachment 76399

We done a 60 miles round trip the other day in it .

Wow what an improvement!

Around town and at lower speeds on cracked / rubbish roads it’s still firm but it’s knocked the edge off the crashy ride . The biggest improvement for me is when you start getting above 30 mph ... so much smoother . Also noticed a slight reduction in road noise . It also sits nice for me on the springs . Slight rake to it ( around 10-20mm front to back ) and for what I wanted is the perfect blend from looking more purposeful , still being at a usable height and ride quality . Would I like it lower ? Yes ..... but I’d scrape out of our drive and be less usable for what we bought the van for .
All in all ..... very happy indeed . It’s still a van and doesn’t handle like a hot hatch / sports car and to be honest you really can’t expect it too . This set up makes the van a lot more comfortable , usable and enjoyable.
Big thanks to @CRS Performance for the kit and professional service
Nice looking motor and nice review :) It looks slightly higher at the back - is there a reason for that? Interesting that your alignment was out as I've heard that's not normally the case. Gotta be worth doing though if you're spending that much already.

Ride height can be deceiving in pictures. If they are not taken from the same angle and same height they can look alot different.
Arch clearance can change a lot by tyre profile too. My arch clearance got bigger when i went from 40 profile to 35 just shy of 14mm more gap

Nice looking motor and nice review :) It looks slightly higher at the back - is there a reason for that? Interesting that your alignment was out as I've heard that's not normally the case. Gotta be worth doing though if you're spending that much already.

yes it does sit around 10-20mm higher at the back . Which I think is correct, as once you put a few bits in the back it’s level . Most springs that I’ve seen are the same . The only way to get it dead level , front to rear is the adjustable coilovers .

As already said ... pics can be deceiving . Different angles , wheels , tyres , offsets all play a part . All I know is I like my setup as it works for me :)

Hi Calsonic.. Would love to see the finished drop with the 50mm and the report on the koni sport active.. This is hopefully the route I will go for 40 or 50mm? Not sure if I can stretch to the alloys straight off so it would good to see the drop with the Devons...

Hi Si - I found this image on the "Team Devonports" thread. This is the same kit (Konis /50mm Drop / 20&25mm spacers). Looks great IMO.

Devonports.jpg

Having had H&R springs fitted on my t32 lwb last year . I have never been satisfied with the drive .It was ok but wallowing at the front and harsh at the back . Devonports are my wheel of choice . as I have tried 20” and not enjoyed it .
Maybe 18 in the future.

So I went to see Steve at CRS and had the Koni active dampers fitted .

I have not had a huge amount of time driving since , but I can say I’m delighted with the driving experience now . Initially at slow speeds the harshness was completely dulled, And the steering felt responsive.

Over potholes and manhole covers at 30 the ride is comfortable and quiet .

Greater speed and it just gets better , so happy with the confidence I now have in the van at motorway speeds changing lanes . And most impressed under braking the van is now so well controlled.No nose diving !

Great job from CRS , highly recommend .

FBCF468F-AD37-4B3C-8D40-84A2DFC81713.jpeg

Mine was higher at the back by design, CRS took into account that it was having a Slidepod fitted, they gave me the weight of the specific unit (100kg) and that was factored in when the rear was adjusted. I can confirm it now sits perfectly. I think the weight distribution of the Shuttle is now correct and I'm happy with the finished product.

016D55AC-F2C0-4BF7-901E-73740DD25C35.jpeg
B05A566E-F68A-4ED6-A09C-6A7143146D6F.jpeg

Last edited:
I had my Koni's Shocks + 50mm H&R Sport Springs + 20mm / 25mm H&R Hubcentric Spacers fitted today. All kit supplied by Steve @CRS Performance. The install was undertaken by a local garage who found the install relatively easy.

I'm incredibly pleased with the outcome :mexican wave:. I now have a firm, car like pliant ride. No longer do I dread tight corners, roundabouts etc. I'm glad I opted for Sports Shocks, and not springs alone (based on various sourced of feedback in here). The van is particularly composed at higher speeds and I can actually enjoy the twisties. Diving under breaking has also banished. I also notice a significant decrease in road noise. I was originally going to go with a 40mm drop as I'm more interested in handling rather than stance. I own a T32 so Steve @ CRS advised that 50mm would be prime given the higher load capacity / heavier van. He was spot on ...

The spacers have allowed an OEM look with the Devonports but equally filled out the arches and given her a beefier' stance. Some before and after pics....

Before when Standard

IMG_2688.JPG

After ( with a few subtle styling modifications )

IMG_6009.JPG

Before ( Side on )

IMG_2681.JPG

After ( Side on )

IMG_5978.JPG

And some General After images showing the effect of the 50mm Drop and Spacers

IMG_5995.JPG

IMG_5992.JPG

IMG_5974.JPG
IMG_6001.JPG

IMG_6008.JPG

IMG_5995.JPG

IMG_5976.JPG

IMG_5981.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

Contemplating 19's or 20's down then line but slightly weary that they may comprise the current, excellent ride quality. Shall run with the spacers for a solid test period first.

Thanks to the many T6 forum contributors for their sharing and inspiration :)

Cal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my Koni's Shocks + 50mm H&R Sport Springs + 20mm / 25mm H&R Hubcentric Spacers fitted today. All kit supplied by Steve @CRS Performance. The install was undertaken by a local garage who found the install relatively easy.

I'm incredibly pleased with the outcome :mexican wave:. I now have a firm, car like pliant ride. No longer do I dread tight corners, roundabouts etc. I'm glad I opted for Sports Shocks, and not springs alone (based on various sourced of feedback in here). The van is particularly composed at higher speeds and I can actually enjoy the twisties. Diving under breaking has also banished. I also notice a significant decrease in road noise. I was originally going to go with a 40mm drop as I'm more interested in handling rather than stance. I own a T32 so Steve @ CRS advised that 50mm would be prime given the higher load capacity / heavier van. He was spot on ...

The spacers have allowed an OEM look with the Devonports but equally filled out the arches and given her a beefier' stance. Some before and after pics....

Before when Standard

View attachment 77494

View attachment 77495

Before ( Side on )

View attachment 77498

After ( Side on )

View attachment 77497

View attachment 77499

View attachment 77500

View attachment 77501
View attachment 77502

View attachment 77503

View attachment 77504

View attachment 77505

View attachment 77506

View attachment 77509

Contemplating 19's or 20's down then line but slightly weary that they may comprise the current, excellent ride quality. Shall run with the spacers for a solid test period first.

Cal

View attachment 77496
Really great result.. how long did it take at CRS? I presume Steve doesnt need to get in the van ( covid and all that ). Could you PM how much it cost?

Hi @Kingsimon2000 - Steve at CRS couriered' the kit to me as I'm up in NE Scotland. Was circa 3hrs for fitting @ £48 per hour by a local garage who had T5 experience. CRS can install them for £100 I believe (& they install >20 per month so can crack the 2 hour mark in normal circumstances).

I ought to add that my locking nuts were cut down by some 8mm to fit the new spacers.

Before when Standard

View attachment 77494

View attachment 77495

Before ( Side on )

View attachment 77525

After ( Side on )

View attachment 77497

View attachment 77499

View attachment 77500

View attachment 77501
View attachment 77502

View attachment 77503

View attachment 77504

View attachment 77505

View attachment 77506

View attachment 77509

Cal

p.s I cannot delete this last photo shown below for some reason ? Moderators ; can you please blitz it ?

View attachment 77496
20200709_142817.jpg20200712_170339.jpgfunnily enough, had virtually the same done by @CRS Performance last friday. agree with everything you said about the ride. it's that good even the wife noticed after i had driven only a few yards off the forecourt. she has taken a fancy to having new wheels now, having seen some on a transporter in the next bay ! think i will go max 19" , for the same reasons as yourself

So my experience with going from 17"s to 20" is that the 20"s considerably stiffened the ride up, the lack of sidewall flex makes a huge difference.
With 17"s on it was a comfortable as a non lowered van but with the benefit of no wind noise.

20"s make you notice bumps that's for sure - but no more than the BMW or Mini I drove recently.

I think 18s or 19s would be a good compromise if you want to retain the comfort for sure.

Before when Standard

View attachment 77494

View attachment 77495

Before ( Side on )

View attachment 77496

After ( Side on )

View attachment 77497

View attachment 77499

View attachment 77500

View attachment 77501
View attachment 77502

View attachment 77503

View attachment 77504

View attachment 77505

View attachment 77506

View attachment 77509

Cal.

They look great with those spacers, wish I'd got them fitted by Steve @CRS Performance whilst I was there, cracking van mate.

Back