Headlights so dull

Both for H4 and for H7

The highest legal lumen / rating I could find in a standard warranty (12 month) bulb with 4/500+ hr lifetime.

A lot of the high rating (200%) bulbs are sold with a limited warranty, basically they are not expected to last as long.

See my comparison here:

I’ve tried Nightbreakers and Philips Racing before and while they look better (whiter) when viewed from the front, I found they only made a very marginal difference to the output when driving. But for £20 it’s better than nothing.

Iv got H4 Osram night-breakers & also some LED Ring 501 bulbs, found my lights to be much better.

Upgrade them to factory LED. Expensive but worth it and they’re legal

I wonder if 'The Forum' could talk me through headlight upgrades....I don't even know for sure if the ones fitted are 'standard', but driving home tonight in the sh*te weather they seemed pretty awful!!
So assuming they are 'standard' and going from there in terms of ease/cost please.....(I know nothing)....
Many thanks fellow van-ites!!

IMG_2716.jpeg

I wonder if 'The Forum' could talk me through headlight upgrades....I don't even know for sure if the ones fitted are 'standard', but driving home tonight in the sh*te weather they seemed pretty awful!!
So assuming they are 'standard' and going from there in terms of ease/cost please.....(I know nothing)....

View attachment 101892
You have the standard H4 headlights. There is a massive amount of info on this forum which will describe your various options, pros and cons etc, it would be pointless for me to go on about it here, the search button will reveal all!

View attachment 101892
I also had standard H4's on mine, I also wanted to upgrade so basically you've got 3 choices
1. OEM Led's, best option, but £2k+ and is quite involved

2. Aftermarket THQ style headlights which are usually H7 with led running lights, usually around £500 ish depending what you opt for

3. OEM H7's - this is the option I went for as it's a good upgrade compared to the H4's & keeps the factory look. Mine cost £150 second hand but mint condition and is a diy swap over. I fitted good quality bulbs and definitely found a big improvement for not a lot of money

View attachment 101892
1. H4 upgraded bulbs

Makes a big difference. Goes from shocking to acceptable. I used Philips ExtremePro 150, others have used Osram nightbreaker, have a search through the forum. Cheap to do!

2. H7s

Need to find a set on ebay or similar, anywhere from £ 150 to 300 second-hand. There is a guide somewhere on here with pictures of all 3 lights, you will soon be expert in identifying the standard H4s on ebay posted for ridiculous amounts.

Need to remove the bumper, but easy enough to do, just follow the thread and the Transporter HQ video. May as well upgrade the bulbs as well while you put them in.

3. Aftermarket headlamp replacement

You can get them new or second-hand, several places seem to do the same types. v1, v2 and v3 depending on the indicator. They have a LED strip-type DRL, and I think the dipped bulb is an H7, so probably on apar with #2.

4. OEM LEDs

Few £thousand, either professional retro-fit or DIY. A good thread on the forum describes it.

5. LED bulbs possible as an improvement in options 1-3
Not road legal, possible MOT fail, but a common option, again, lots of advice on the forum.

FINALLY
If you are fully loaded or converted, make sure you adjust them upwards with the rotary thingy!:thumbsup:

EDIT: pipped at the post by @Superowls :think smile bounce:

1. H4 upgraded bulbs

Makes a big difference. Goes from shocking to acceptable. I used Philips ExtremePro 150, others have used Osram nightbreaker, have a search through the forum. Cheap to do!

2. H7s

Need to find a set on ebay or similar, anywhere from £ 150 to 300 second-hand. There is a guide somewhere on here with pictures of all 3 lights, you will soon be expert in identifying the standard H4s on ebay posted for ridiculous amounts.

Need to remove the bumper, but easy enough to do, just follow the thread and the Transporter HQ video. May as well upgrade the bulbs as well while you put them in.

3. THQ and other (same?) lights
You can get them new or second-hand, several places seem to do the same types. v1, v2 and v3 depending on the indicator. They have a LED strip-type DRL, and I think the dipped bulb is an H7, so probably on apar with #2.

4. OEM LEDs
Few £thousand, either professional retro-fit or DIY. A good thread on the forum describes it.

5. LED bulbs possible as an improvement in options 1-3
Not road legal, possible MOT fail, but a common option, again, lots of advice on the forum.

FINALLY
If you are fully loaded or converted, make sure you adjust them upwards with the rotary thingy!:thumbsup:

EDIT: pipped at the post by @Superowls :think smile bounce:
Great minds & all that pal :thumbsup:

Reactions: CAB
Or....
These aren't just LED bulbs, they are a retrofit LED projector so no reason to think that they would fail the MOT, as they give a very clear pattern compared to LED lamps that rely on the original reflector.

I don't mean that the new rules don't apply to them, but that they are unlikely to cause a fail

Awesome thanks guys....just the ticket. I shall have a read and do some research. :thumbsup:

bade-png.11513

EDIT: not my graphic, origianlly @Pauly (credit where credit is due!)

Set of H7s on ebay:

Last edited:
I’ve got a T6 140. The headlights are dangerous. 60mpg on an unlit road and can only see about 30m in front - can’t see upcoming bends in the road. Genuinely dangerous!

Can’t afford anything fancy. What’s my best option? Nightbreaker bulbs?

Back