H4 Headlamp Bulb Upgrade

Buggirl

DJ VdubRadio
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I really want to upgrade my headlight bulbs. Going to do this when she goes in for her check up.

Hi all. Today I started the Headlight bulb upgrade, after reading lots of posts regarding how difficult this would be due to lack of space I set aside the morning to do the job.

Bought myself a set of H4 Metal Blue high power bulbs, and a pair of LED 501's, had the wife on stand by just in case I needed a smaller hand.

I started on the passenger side, loosen the battery clamp and moved it as far back and left as it would go, this allowed me to gain easy access to the bulbs and changed these very easy.

Next was the driver side, little more tricky, I removed the top of the air box and took the opportunity to fit a Pipercross panel air filter, again by removing the top air box this allowed me to get into the bulbs with ease, had the complete job done in under 45 mins.

BEFORE:

Before.jpg

AFTER:

AFTER.jpg

You dont need to remove the battery ;) Having changed mine about 10 times I can now do both sides in inder 10 mins with a butter knife ha

What are peoples choices with regard to swapping the original lamps for the T6, I'm looking into swapping out the interior lights and headlights and sidelights to a modern white looking LED.

Just completed a bulb swap on my H4 headlamps, DRL’s and front fog lamps. Used Osram halogens on the H4’s and H11’s and Cree LED’s for the DRL’s. Good improvement driving on unlit road tonight. Managed to swap the H4’s too without too much trouble. Fiddly, but possible with a bit of patience. All ordered through autobulbsdirect.co.uk

DDCD072C-0E48-42D1-B153-5D03F4BFDEF3.png

BA5A8774-4BE0-4E4F-A280-F2C48ACB5976.png

3881A39E-E6E8-4AC9-B6AF-678657F97B9C.png

52268F24-E807-4F0B-A0D8-A853D983E319.jpeg

ADD85A93-D871-456F-BB22-C81E676A9143.jpeg

Last edited:
That, my friend, is a handy bit of info. I’m going to buy those bulbs now. Confusion over!!!

To be honest, I use a mix of DAB, CD, Bluetooth etc. Not noticed anything yet with DAB.

@HHO how you finding the bulbs since they'e been in? Are the p21ws burning the lenses or the reflector at all?

Hi all. Today I started the Headlight bulb upgrade, after reading lots of posts regarding how difficult this would be due to lack of space I set aside the morning to do the job.

Bought myself a set of H4 Metal Blue high power bulbs, and a pair of LED 501's, had the wife on stand by just in case I needed a smaller hand.

I started on the passenger side, loosen the battery clamp and moved it as far back and left as it would go, this allowed me to gain easy access to the bulbs and changed these very easy.

Next was the driver side, little more tricky, I removed the top of the air box and took the opportunity to fit a Pipercross panel air filter, again by removing the top air box this allowed me to get into the bulbs with ease, had the complete job done in under 45 mins.

BEFORE:

View attachment 14607

AFTER:

View attachment 14608
Hi Alistair,

Great post thank you, quick question as I have very little knowledge of swapping out bulbs but am very keen to emulate what you have done.

You mention H4 and LED 501’s, can I ask where you purchased these? I just ran a quick search and it seems there’s a multitude of options?

Cheers,

Jon

Back