Headlights so dull

Ziggy

Hi everyone

Sorry I already know this has been asked probably a million times before & I should have done a search.

I have just taken delivery of my T32 204 DSG SWB I love everything about the van so far but....
I had to venture out last night to run some errands & oh my lord how shit are the lights I actually stopped & got out of the van to check if the lights were on!!!

Can anyone recommend a bulb upgrade before I end up in a bloody ditch!!

Thanks peeps

UPDATE: See this post:
Headlight upgrade choices

You’ll find this is a common issue with the H4 headlights. There’s a lot of threads on here with solutions to replacement bulbs. Just type in “H4,” trawl through the abuse they’re given and you’ll find what you need.

Be aware that some bulbs will throw up a canbus error too.

Last edited:
You’ll find this is a common issue with the H4 headlights. There’s a lot of threads on here with solutions to replacement bulbs. Just type in “H4,” trawl through the abuse they’re given and you’ll find what you need.

Be aware that some bulbs will throw up a canbus error too.

Thanks very much for the info I will have a look.
So the bulbs in mine are H4?
I dont want any error’s popping up so how would I avoid this?
Thank you.

Ziggy you need to go back to VW and pick up your free Man. Last I heard you got a free 'man' with a flag and a candle to walk out front of you at night shouting 'Fool beware'. We are all in the same boat except for the LED option crowd (and we just dont talk to those smug b'stds anymore:p).

You have 4 options in reality.

1) This month several aftermarket sites are about to launch Far East replacements for the OEM light units.

2)Pay nearly £3K to a company (someone will name then I cant remember) who fit the LED system.

3) I've found adjusting the little dial which alters the angle fully down as if im laden and then driving with full beam on. I've been coming the opposite direction in the car to see if it blinds me and it doesnt so give it a try as it cost nowt.

4) Stupid answer.... night vision goggles (cause they have gotta be cheaper than 3 K)

Ever wondered why they dont take you for a test drive at night:eek:

Thanks very much for the info I will have a look.
So the bulbs in mine are H4?
I dont want any error’s popping up so how would I avoid this?
Thank.
I’m only assuming your headlights are H4 lamps as these are getting all the complaints. I too have H4s, I know how bad they are especially when the ground is wet.

There’s a few members that have upgraded their entire headlight units to the much better H7s and even the VW LEDs.

Follow the link to a successful H4 swap. No errors and better light spread .
H4 Headlamp Bulb Swap

Ziggy you need to go back to VW and pick up your free Man. Last I heard you got a free 'man' with a flag and a candle to walk out front of you at night shouting 'Fool beware'. We are all in the same boat except for the LED option crowd (and we just dont talk to those smug b'stds anymore:p).

You have 4 options in reality.

1) This month several aftermarket sites are about to launch Far East replacements for the OEM light units.

2)Pay nearly £3K to a company (someone will name then I cant remember) who fit the LED system.

3) I've found adjusting the little dial which alters the angle fully down as if im laden and then driving with full beam on. I've been coming the opposite direction in the car to see if it blinds me and it doesnt so give it a try as it cost nowt.

4) Stupid answer.... night vision goggles (cause they have gotta be cheaper than 3 K)

Ever wondered why they dont take you for a test drive at night:eek:

Thanks for all the info things are becoming clearer now hopefully my lights will too.

I’m only assuming your headlights are H4 lamps as these are getting all the complaints. I too have H4s, I know how bad they are especially when the ground is wet.

There’s a few members that have upgraded their entire headlight units to the much better H7s and even the VW LEDs.

Follow the link to a successful H4 swap. No errors and better light spread .
H4 Headlamp Bulb Swap

Thanks very much, after reading a few of the threads about the problems other drivers are having I’m glad it wasn’t just me being picky.
Just need to decide on the right upgrade now.

You can change to H7s for far less; standard on Caravelles and California Oceans or part of a light upgrade kit on other models; they work fine and don’t blind oncoming traffic; they also don’t look like an Essex Christmas light bonanza in the daytime. Just subtle DRLs.

Soooooo disappointed with my T6 standard halogen headlamps! Wish I bought a van with factory fitted LED headlamps but I did not like the colour of it (Mojave Beige).

Anyhow, on my way home tonight I popped by my local Halfrauds to see what they got to offer. I can't remember last time I was at one of their stores, must be some 6 years ago at least. Anyway, they do sell ("BOGOF") 150% bulbs, at an eye wattering £36 for "each". Has anybody had them fitted to their T6 Van????

I have also read Best car headlight bulbs: group test AutoExpress review of some bulbs, but those tested were H7 type and Philips RacingVision came up TopTrumps. However, looking at amazon reviews, these have a short lifespan of just under 100 working hours, and that isn't cool.

Now, the second option is to go and retrofit H4 Cree LED bulbs into my OEM headlamps and hope that (on average) £80 investment would bring descent result. Has anybody considered this, would it work, would it throw up any problems with dash lights, etc????

I would love to upgrade to OEM LED headlamps but, simply can't (at least at the moment in time) justify spending £2500 to get them.

Many thanks in advance for any of your contribution.

EV

Yes I fitted the Halfords headlight bulbs

Definitely an improvement from standard H4,

And a cheap alternative to stock bulb

You can buy H7 upgrade in the forum shop it’s new lights but runs dip and main beam at same time should be better

Hi Guys,
Like many of you I've been disappointed at the light output from the standard H4's, I've tried various cheap alternative bulbs, not finding any great difference.
i have now run with Philips XtremeVision +130% for the last couple of months, they are a vast improvement, and for standard units I'd have to say they are acceptable.
Incidentally I've also upgraded my DRL's to Halfords 382 P21w, they are really bright with a very white light.

Reactions: CRD
You can buy H7 upgrade in the forum shop it’s new lights but runs dip and main beam at same time should be better
Yeah I have seen them, but I do not want to start modding van as insurance already pricey at over a £1k, start adding mods and price will go blooming through the roof!

Hi Guys,
Like many of you I've been disappointed at the light output from the standard H4's, I've tried various cheap alternative bulbs, not finding any great difference.
i have now run with Philips XtremeVision +130% for the last couple of months, they are a vast improvement, and for standard units I'd have to say they are acceptable.
Incidentally I've also upgraded my DRL's to Halfords 382 P21w, they are really bright with a very white light.

Thank you Dough for the Tip.

I am thinking to upgrade fog light to a LED set sold here.

Back