H4 To H7 Upgrade

Howler

Sold
T6 Pro
Replaced my standard H4 headlights on my 17 plate kombi highline with genuine H7 headlights from a 17 plate Caravelle.

It's literally just plug and play, no warning lights, no VCDS, just swap and go. Does require removing the front bumper but really not as bad as it sounds.

IMO the H7's are definitely better than the H4's, granted they're still waaayyyy off the LED's though.

Also huge thanks to @Pauly for checking wiring diagrams/connectors were the same beforehand.

Before

20170517_091530.jpg

After

20170517_091303.jpg
20170517_091705.jpg

(Please don't judge how dirty she is in the bottom pictures, it's been a busy week :))

Last edited:
Interesting & thanks for providing the info. This is something I am interested in myself - though I haven't driven my new van at night as yet and am basing my thoughts on just how bad everyone says the H4s are.

@hwd612

Is there an improvement in beam pattern with the new units?...

I would certainly say the H7's are more "consistent" and are definitely IMO the better of the two, there seemed to be brighter and darker spots with the H4's. Although the H7's high beam seems narrower than the H4's but their reach seems further, do want to take it to someone to have angles of the beam checked though, just to make sure.

This is something I'll likely do. Will source from forum shop but will wait until the nights start drawing in again.

@Pauly, I'm guessing the units stocked in forum shop come without bulbs?

This is something I'll likely do. Will source from forum shop but will wait until the nights start drawing in again.

@Pauly, I'm guessing the units stocked in forum shop come without bulbs?
I have amended the description now, the units come pre fitted with VW supplied lamps the same as if there were factory specced

Brilliant, I've been waiting for someone brave enough to try it and give a definitive answer - thank you. Next job on the to do list now!

@hwd612 would you say the upgrade has been worth it with regards to overall look and light output when driving for the cost? I've changed the bulbs in my H4 but a drive last night has left me needing to upgrade. I like OEM looks and never liked an aftermarket light for a t5 so doubt any new aftermarket t6 stuff will leave me jealous.

@hwd612 would you say the upgrade has been worth it with regards to overall look and light output when driving for the cost? I've changed the bulbs in my H4 but a drive last night has left me needing to upgrade. I like OEM looks and never liked an aftermarket light for a t5 so doubt any new aftermarket t6 stuff will leave me jealous.
I see some horrific T5 (and T4) aftermarket lights around.
Just FYI I upgraded my Subaru H7 bulbs (mainly because the standard ones kept blowing!) to Bosch Gigalights (I think); they've stayed OEM looking but just a tad whiter; not the awful blue look some seem to have. Output is improved too.
Not sure if I'll bother with the van but if I felt the H7s weren't enough, I'd change to the Bosch bulbs too.

There were many issues with the T5/5.1 but I can't recall hearing any complaints about headlights. VW have downgraded with the H4s; cost cutting.
Our Cali H7s are slightly better than our T5.1 Cali lights. Fine for us; we also hardly do any night driving in ours.

I think retrofit LEDs are just a pipe dream and not a realistic aftermarket option for me. So I have to focus my options down to a H7. I'm not really seeing any negative sides to changing to the H7 other than cost. However can you put a price a vision at night.
Thanks for your advice and taking the plunge to start the ball rolling for many others with their headlight upgrades.

It really annoys me that VW has placed so many loyal (and new) customers in a position where their brand new, expensive vans have terrible lights.
Yet the default answer is "spec LEDs/H7s." What kind of BS marketing department decided that its okay to equip the "poshest" premium van with a pair of Halfords kids torches as headlights?
As someone here mentioned, H7s cost about the same as H4s to VW; do I detect some extremely cynical marketing? Is VW assuming that customers will not "mind" shelling out silly money so they can see at night?

Shameful.

I'm also irritated that our expensive Cali came with totally unsuitable tyres and completely out of alignment so I had to replace them far too early (6800 miles); I now have good tyres and wheels that point in the right direction but it was a £710 wallet basher.

Other than that, all is good wafting around Europe in our Cali.

Currently in the forum shop ordering some H7's

I like to think their intention was to have different specs through the ranges but sadly their starting point was so poor it's driven people to upgrade. You rarely test drive a new vehicle at night so won't find out about them until after the purchase. I'd put the H4's on par with a ford transit headlight or even the standard T4 ones. I don't care about work van lights as they're a rubbish work van. However in my pride and joy I want the best and seek an upgrade to improve the quality.
I wonder how many T6 vans used as general work vans get given the upgrade.
What I'm trying to say is, is it because we care about our vans so much that we want the upgrade when in reality the number of T6 getting headlight upgrades is actually rather low?

Back