Headlights so dull

Newbie T6 owner here (65 plate). Nice van, but I've already noticed the headlights aren't very bright on it? Don't really want to spend loads on new headlight units with LED's, so can anyone recommend some better bulbs I can buy to replace my standard VW ones? Could just eat more carrots I suppose! Thanks.

Reactions: CAB
As mentioned above, don’t waste your money on upgrading the H4 bulbs just go straight for some H7 headlights. H4s will always be poor. I’ve just fitted some H7s that I got for £70 off FB. A pretty simple and quick upgrade (about an hour) that makes a huge difference to headlight performance. You do need access to VCDS or Carista Beta though to code the dipped lights to stay on with main beam. A 2 minute job with Carista which is routinely on Amazon at £17ish.

Otherwise, Osram Nightbreaker 200% or the equivalent Phillips bulbs are about the brightest H4 bulbs you will get, but the performance increase is a tiny fraction of fitting H7. 4CFC54B3-DA77-42C5-AFD9-2B00A8AC0014.jpeg

It's not so much the bulbs that are poor in the H4s, it's the reflector design. It has to do both dipped and main beam. H7 headlights have separate dedicated dipped and main beam reflectors, so each one isn't compromised like it is with the H4s.

Hi all, just got a t6 and im not very impressed with the headlights, is there any easy way to uprate them? I’m in Devon and spend half my life on very dark lanes

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
Hi all, just got a t6 and im not very impressed with the headlights, is there any easy way to uprate them? I’m in Devon and spend half my life on very dark lanes
THQ headlights are a good option. If you’re not confident in fitting yourself, we can supply and fit them for you at the cave.

Iv fitted THQ lights to the t6.1
Although I want the really white led bulbs
However when I fitted them and they looked amazing the radio didn’t get signal
Is there a white led bulb that won’t affect the signal
Iv just bought some interference clips to put on the wiring
Fingers crossed this works
So frustrating

There are loads of threads on this subject, this one will have all you need: H4 To H7 Upgrade

I've just gone through this and went with some H7s bought off Facebook Marketplace for £70 plus some better bulbs and LED DRLs - all in £110. I'd say don't waste your money on new H4 bulbs as they will make very little difference and you will still be looking to upgrade. Invest the saving on some H7s or if you are feeling flush and want the looks go for a set of THQ lights for £500ish.

H7. I’ve just fitted them and can’t believe how much an improvement they are. They also look smarter than the H4’s. I would only go for THQ if you prefer the look, but they cost a lot more. Whatever you do, don’t stick with the H4’s!

Last edited:
There are loads of threads on this subject, this one will have all you need: H4 To H7 Upgrade

I've just gone through this and went with some H7s bought off Facebook Marketplace for £70 plus some better bulbs and LED DRLs - all in £110. I'd say don't waste your money on new H4 bulbs as they will make very little difference and you will still be looking to upgrade. Invest the saving on some H7s or if you are feeling flush and want the looks go for a set of THQ lights for £500ish.
Am I right to assume you have to change the entire light unit to upgrade to the h7? I’m a bit of a newbie to all this!

Back