Headlights so dull

Have a browse through the relevant threads already on here, there are many, use the search function, top right corner of your screen.

I’ve got a T6 140. The headlights are dangerous. 60mpg on an unlit road and can only see about 30m in front - can’t see upcoming bends in the road. Genuinely dangerous!

Can’t afford anything fancy. What’s my best option? Nightbreaker bulbs?
See if you can find some later edition genuine OEM H7 headlight units for sale…. normally around the £200 mark. With a good set of H7 bulbs these will be a massive improvement without breaking the bank.

I’ve got a T6 140. The headlights are dangerous. 60mpg on an unlit road and can only see about 30m in front - can’t see upcoming bends in the road. Genuinely dangerous!

Can’t afford anything fancy. What’s my best option? Nightbreaker bulbs?
I’ve moved your post from the ‘interiors’ to the ‘lighting’ sub-forum and subsequently merged it with this, as (you’re finding out) it’s unfortunately another case of thr H4’s falling far below expectations. A quick search will show you it’s been asked before!
@CAB has a brilliant post that summarises the options, see
1. H4 upgraded bulbs

Makes a big difference. Goes from shocking to acceptable. I used Philips ExtremePro 150, others have used Osram nightbreaker, have a search through the forum. Cheap to do!

2. H7s

Need to find a set on ebay or similar, anywhere from £ 150 to 300 second-hand. There is a guide somewhere on here with pictures of all 3 lights, you will soon be expert in identifying the standard H4s on ebay posted for ridiculous amounts.

Need to remove the bumper, but easy enough to do, just follow the thread and the Transporter HQ video. May as well upgrade the bulbs as well while you put them in.

3. Aftermarket headlamp replacement

You can get them new or second-hand, several places seem to do the same types. v1, v2 and v3 depending on the indicator. They have a LED strip-type DRL, and I think the dipped bulb is an H7, so probably on apar with #2.

4. OEM LEDs

Few £thousand, either professional retro-fit or DIY. A good thread on the forum describes it.

5. LED bulbs possible as an improvement in options 1-3
Not road legal, possible MOT fail, but a common option, again, lots of advice on the forum.

FINALLY
If you are fully loaded or converted, make sure you adjust them upwards with the rotary thingy!:thumbsup:

Hi all, I’m looking to “upgrade” my front lights to led, I didn’t realise how expensive they are! I’m still going to go ahead but wondering what are the best as I think there are different types? I just need to see better at night when driving! (It’s an age thing )

Identify your lights here:

Here is my guide to the options:

Upgrading H4s to H7s

:thumbsup:

Hi all, I’m looking to “upgrade” my front lights to led, I didn’t realise how expensive they are! I’m still going to go ahead but wondering what are the best as I think there are different types? I just need to see better at night when driving! (It’s an age thing )
Believe me - it’s not an ‘age’ thing - H4s are pants!!

Believe me - it’s not an ‘age’ thing - H4s are pants!!
Can someone tell me what the brightest lights are and what they are called? Btw…I’m not mechanically minded at all, I will need to ask my local garage to fit them as soon as I know what to get!

Can someone tell me what the brightest lights are and what they are called? Btw…I’m not mechanically minded at all, I will need to ask my local garage to fit them as soon as I know what to get!
Get ready for at least 20 different opinions, factory OEM LEDs are probably the best, you’re talking serious ££££

Last edited:
Anything other than factory LED I wouldn’t bother, just my experience with prev retrofit on my last T6

Better bulbs would be a cheaper way to improve the shit lights

It’s hard to say, without knowing what your budget is and whether your garage is capable of an OEM retrofit (which is the brightest) or just a spanner-job headlight swap (which isn’t, but is an improvement).
As @CAB said earlier, here are your options:
1. H4 upgraded bulbs

Makes a big difference. Goes from shocking to acceptable. I used Philips ExtremePro 150, others have used Osram nightbreaker, have a search through the forum. Cheap to do!

2. H7s

Need to find a set on ebay or similar, anywhere from £ 150 to 300 second-hand. There is a guide somewhere on here with pictures of all 3 lights, you will soon be expert in identifying the standard H4s on ebay posted for ridiculous amounts.

Need to remove the bumper, but easy enough to do, just follow the thread and the Transporter HQ video. May as well upgrade the bulbs as well while you put them in.

3. Aftermarket headlamp replacement

You can get them new or second-hand, several places seem to do the same types. v1, v2 and v3 depending on the indicator. They have a LED strip-type DRL, and I think the dipped bulb is an H7, so probably on apar with #2.

4. OEM LEDs

Few £thousand, either professional retro-fit or DIY. A good thread on the forum describes it.

5. LED bulbs possible as an improvement in options 1-3
Not road legal, possible MOT fail, but a common option, again, lots of advice on the forum.

FINALLY
If you are fully loaded or converted, make sure you adjust them upwards with the rotary thingy!:thumbsup:

EDIT: pipped at the post by @Superowls :think smile bounce:
And as @DXX said, there’s plenty of info on this topic if you have a search.
Thread merged with existing.

Hi everyone, first post for us…….
what’s the best recommendations for replacing the headlights on our 2017 T6, as the standard ones are like a couple of candles.
many thanks

Hi everyone, first post for us…….
what’s the best recommendations for replacing the headlights on our 2017 T6, as the standard ones are like a couple of candles.
many thanks
Search
Put H4 headlights into the search function and leave a few days for reading.
To summarise replace your H4s with H7s (Ebay secondhand) or THQ V2 and you’ll be happy.

Back