H4 To H7 Upgrade

Even so I think the h7 is a good upgrade. The dip beam has better overall coverage of the road and the main beam has a further reach than the h4. Once we've worked out how to get the h7 to keep it's dipped beam on when using main beam it will be a massive difference overall.

Even so I think the h7 is a good upgrade. The dip beam has better overall coverage of the road and the main beam has a further reach than the h4. Once we've worked out how to get the h7 to keep it's dipped beam on when using main beam it will be a massive difference overall.

H4 - dip beam goes out when main beam is active
H7 - dip beam stays on when main beam is active

Don't these two post contradict each other ? not being picky just trying to under whats whats. I assume this is not a show stopper ? MOT failure ?

Hes upgraded from H4 to H7 it was his van i was attempting to code at busfest to get the dip to stay on with main but it was dark and late and i was struggling to work a laptop with one hand as my other was occupied with a can of lager :)

So from factory Paulys statement is correct and when retrofitting h7 from h4 you get the small issue that when your main beam is lit your dipped beams turn off as the on board computer is programmed this way for the h4s. When upgrading there is a slight tweak to the computer to enable the h7s to work as they should. Currently that tweak is illusive and a work in progress.

I've done the opposite - I've gone from H7's in a 5.1 velle to H4s in a T6 Beach (I stupidly didn't realise). The H7s are better definately better - I upgraded the bulbs as i have done on the H4s now on the Beach.

@Pauly are there any differences in the wiring / bus for the Beach (2017) - i.e. likely to be an equally straight forward swap?

I just wish i could set my fog lights on all the time, much prefer the 4 light look

I've done the opposite - I've gone from H7's in a 5.1 velle to H4s in a T6 Beach (I stupidly didn't realise). The H7s are better definately better - I upgraded the bulbs as i have done on the H4s now on the Beach.

@Pauly are there any differences in the wiring / bus for the Beach (2017) - i.e. likely to be an equally straight forward swap?
Same plugs, same wiring, i have checked the wiring connections back to the BCM and they terminate into the same pins just need to figure out the coding

Is the dark spot just due to the fact the lights are set twice as high as most cars?!?!

The dark spot in front of the van when on full beam is due to the dipped beams turning off. The dipped beams do cover this area when on and I think they cover it well. Once we've found the VCDS bits to programme the van to the new H7 we should be able to keep both lamps on and the gap will be lit.

Those VCDS entries are incorrect, they have not been updated for T6s I have scanned dozens of vans and found
H4 = 71
H7 = ?69? (Need more to confirm)
LED = 73

that coding is the one I have on my t6, and the headlamps work fine

is a t6 from spain, that same mount different switchboard

Hopefully trying the potential fix tonight, If not certainly tomorrow evening as the other half is out. Hopefully I can get back to you all with good news.
I'm a little bit excited at the prospect of this.

Reactions: .50
Im 99.9% sure its a single bit to change and all will be good, for some reason VCDS doesnt document this byte/bit but it should read 'disable low beam when high beam is active'
As its not listed in VCDS there is no tickbox to change it so it will require the value to be manually inputted

Quick update on this, @Ed Webb has tried out the coding change and its a success :thumbsup:
There is one bit that needs to be changed to allow the low beam to stay on when the high beam is active but unfortunately there is no tick box for this bit.

As always please please take a full scan of your vehicle before trying any changes so you have an exact copy of the coding before you start, me and Ed got it wrong the first time around and had to revert the change before trying again

Byte 22 Bit 1 needs to be reduced by a value of 2 (turned off)
I have looked at several scans from various vehicles and this two digit byte generally ends with a C, reducing this value by two will make it an A
eg
6C becomes 6A
CC becomes CA
etc etc

Just want to relliterate the point about doing a full scan of the van before changing anything. This is really important to help correct any changes that don't work. Full scans apply for any changes not just the H7 mod. As @Pauly mentioned we made a few errors trying this mod, The full scan was referred to a lot when restoring the van back to its working state. Only ever change one thing at a time.

Back