[GUIDE] How to retrofit LED projectors to T6 H4 headlights on a VW Transporter

Original
(0F)16 = (0000 1111)2
bit 0 = 1 Activation of low beam via pulse width modulation (PWM) active
bit 1 = 1 Activation of fog light via pulse width modulation (PWM) active
bit 2 = 1 Activation of Daytime running lights via pulse width modulation (PWM) active
bit 3 = 1 Activation of High Beam via pulse width modulation (PWM) active
bit 4 = 0 Lamp Diagnostics for Low Beam inactive
bit 5 = 0 Lamp Diagnostics for Rear Fog Light(s) inactive
bit 6 = 0 Lamp Diagnostics for (Separate) Daytime Running Lights (DRL) inactive
bit 7 = 0 Lamp Diagnostics for High Beam inactive

Proposed modification(same description of bits applies to below)
(D0)16 = (1101 0000)2
bit 0 = 0
bit 1 = 0
bit 2 = 0
bit 3 = 0
bit 4 = 1
bit 5 = 0
bit 6 = 1
bit 7 = 1
Thank you, I've applied this and the lamp warning light has gone. The DAB issue I can't checklist without driving away from the house. Will let you know

You could change your original BCM(09 Central Electrics) coding from
E0A4303A0A212431002009742C2B8C540FC0708F60444D60330400220800
to
E0A4303A0A212431002009742C2B8C54D0C0708F60444D60330400220800

This adjustment will eliminate BULB FAULT light in IC and should reduce interferences on DAB.
Changed as above and working perfectly, thanks

Hello,
I have similar T6 and same BCM unit. Is possible to use this long coding to disable bulb control for parking lights ? Because I have replaced W5W bulbs by Osram W5W LEDs and when I switch to night lights (H4) so error warning light appears on dashboard. When I run DRL there is no error on DAB. Trouble codes memory is always clear even when warning light on DAB shines. I have checked long coding options and there I can switch off bulb control for most of lights but I cant find option to disable bulb control for parking lights :/

Thank you.

Hello,
I have similar T6 and same BCM unit. Is possible to use this long coding to disable bulb control for parking lights ? Because I have replaced W5W bulbs by Osram W5W LEDs and when I switch to night lights (H4) so error warning light appears on dashboard. When I run DRL there is no error on DAB. Trouble codes memory is always clear even when warning light on DAB shines. I have checked long coding options and there I can switch off bulb control for most of lights but I cant find option to disable bulb control for parking lights :/

Thank you.
Yes, there's a thread on this...hang on...

Post in thread 'Bulb warning coding' Bulb warning coding

Ah...this is the thread on it :slow rofl:

So yes, follow the instructions on page 1!

@Andysmee - Lovely write up and useful pictures.

SWMBO wants better lights and I have some questions :)

1. Is everything still tickety boo one year on?
2. Why does the retention clip get removed from the rest of the fitting - is it because the replacement LED lens is bigger (35mm diameter) than the H4 so it would foul on the reflector?
3. Can the ballast pack be fitted in behind the headlight in the housing or does it absolutely have to go inside the headlight and behind the reflector?
4. Does the fan being taken off the LED have any consequences?
5. Can the H4 clip be bought separately to avoid permanently snipping the original?
6. How much (ball park) did you pay to have the lights adjusted at an MOT station?

Are these a reasonable alternative to the ones you used?
Heinmo H4 Led Headlight Bulbs Projector Lens 9003 High Low Beam Solve Astigmatism Problem Plug Play H4 Led Headlights Conversion Kit Car Motorcycle 35W 5500K 8000LM Right side drive

I'm all for giving this a shot but need to be able to backout if I hit a glitch and cutting the H4 fitting has a 'new parts needed' feel to it ;-)

Thanks

David
edited to add Amazon url link above

Last edited:
@Andysmee - Lovely write up and useful pictures.

SWMBO wants better lights and I have some questions :)

1. Is everything still tickety boo one year on?

Lighting wise, yes. But DAB reception is affected quite badly, and in winter that's all the time as the lights are on all the time. If DAB reception is good where you normally travel it's okay, but when ever the reception is dodgy it loses signal much like we used to lose radio on FM back in the day.

2. Why does the retention clip get removed from the rest of the fitting - is it because the replacement LED lens is bigger (35mm diameter) than the H4 so it would foul on the reflector?

It simply couldn't swing out the way enough, if I recall correctly

3. Can the ballast pack be fitted in behind the headlight in the housing or does it absolutely have to go inside the headlight and behind the reflector?

I think the cables were short but really it was my preference so I didn't have to weather-proof the ballast.

4. Does the fan being taken off the LED have any consequences?

I'm sure they wouldn't put a fan on them unless the pcb gets very hot, so can't imagine it's optional.

5. Can the H4 clip be bought separately to avoid permanently snipping the original?

No

6. How much (ball park) did you pay to have the lights adjusted at an MOT station?

Zero. They passed without incident.

I couldn't give advice on alternative versions, this was a gamble anyway! But, yes, the pictures on that link appear to show the same product that I fitted.

Cheers for the speedy response

4. Is my bad - I reread your post and I see now that I missed the line where you put the fan back on!

Thanks

David

I had a friend have a led bulb change fail the MOT recently. Maybe swap them out come MOT time.
-----
Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.

I had a friend have a led bulb change fail the MOT recently. Maybe swap them out come MOT time.
-----
Please note that since January 2021, the MOT Inspection manual has been updated to include LED bulbs.

Section 4.1.4 now states the following:

“Existing halogen headlamp units should not be converted to be used with high intensity discharge (HID) or light emitting diode (LED) bulbs. If such a conversion has been done, you must fail the headlamp.”

This is a brand new update that seems to only focus on headlights.

There are no mentions to fail other LED bulbs such as brake lights, tail lights or reversing lights.
Yeah, that was true at the time of writing the original guide

Thanks @Andysmee for the detailed guide.
I completed the conversion yesterday and it was very straightforward using this guide.
I had no issues doing it without removing the headlights from the van. Just removed the top of the air filter housing and the battery and there was loads of space to work.
I didn't have to remove and plastic from the light housing to get the drivers to fit inside which was a bonus.
I did get the bulb warning light on the dash but with @Robert's coding instructions it was an easy fix
The difference in light output is night and day :) and highlights how dangerous the standard h4s are.

Original BYTE 16
(0F)16 = (0000 1111)2
bit 0 = 1 Activation of low beam via pulse width modulation (PWM) active
bit 1 = 1 Activation of fog light via pulse width modulation (PWM) active
bit 2 = 1 Activation of Daytime running lights via pulse width modulation (PWM) active
bit 3 = 1 Activation of High Beam via pulse width modulation (PWM) active
bit 4 = 0 Lamp Diagnostics for Low Beam inactive
bit 5 = 0 Lamp Diagnostics for Rear Fog Light(s) inactive
bit 6 = 0 Lamp Diagnostics for (Separate) Daytime Running Lights (DRL) inactive
bit 7 = 0 Lamp Diagnostics for High Beam inactive

Proposed modification to BYTE 16
(same description of bits applies as above)
(D0)16 = (1101 0000)2
bit 0 = 0
bit 1 = 0
bit 2 = 0
bit 3 = 0
bit 4 = 1
bit 5 = 0
bit 6 = 1
bit 7 = 1
hi , wondering where do I find this in vcds ?

Connect to BCM at address 09 and go to CODING.
I found it and changed the 1's and 0's as posted earlier on the vcds ...but they keep reverting back to the original seetings , what should I do once they are changed ?to activate the new settings , thanks

Back