H4 headlight upgrade.. but to what?

Being a new VW owner I went to Van-Tech for the new DRL lights to be fitted thinking it was all LED, but unfortunately they were not. I did speak to them about this and they offered to install some new lamps (me providing) due to the misunderstanding. I was going to go with LED until I got blinded by bumf on the internet. So I decided on the Osram Nightbreaker which very much improved the light but still left me disappointed, especially due to my intention of travelling round Europe and didn't want to get caught out on some winding mountain road. The Osram just don't project very far in normal beam.

The new DRL light also have changed the setup to H1 & H11, where H11 is the normal driving beam and the H1 is main beam.

So I have now ordered some "Bevinsee" at around £47. This was after spending a day on the internet and YouTube. they are supposed to be error free but we will see! I did try some cheaper ones which were brighter but still not projecting far enough!

Then I tried messing with the H1's yesterday and just cant bloody get it back in as the spring thing has come off. I think mechanics must employ the services of "The Borrowers" to get into these really awkward places.

Why oh why did I start messing!

• Sad
Reactions: CAB
hi @GCfromVC can see your confusion, me to now .. You asked for DRLs ( daytime running lights to LED ) ? then you jump into head lights high and low beam performance.

Did Van Tech just change/upgrade the DRls. Did you mean you wanted the L E D headlights conversion / upgraded to achieve what your after.

sounds like VW LEDS are the best with T H Q a close second look below

cheers Nick

Last edited:
hi @GCfromVC can see your confusion, me to now .. You asked for DRLs ( daytime running lights to LED ) ? then you jump into head lights high and low beam performance.

Did Van Tech just change/upgrade the DRls. Did you mean you wanted the L E D headlights conversion / upgraded to achieve what your after.

sounds like VW LEDS are the best with T H Q a close second look below

cheers Nick

Hiya

I had the full headlights changed which have the DRL strips at the bottom. They look great. It's just you standard bulbs in the lights. I didn't know you could take leds and ask them to put them in before fitting. Onwards and upwards.

Hi all, so for todays daft question I’m trying to work out whether I have H4 or H7 light on my ‘19 shuttle S. can anyone help me from my attached pic please? Thanks!

F09B88C4-EB0F-4AE0-B492-BCBCC4E3049E.jpeg

Thanks Deaky. I thought they might be as they are rubbish! I’ll now be looking on all the threads to see what folks recommend as the best replacement. Have a good day.

is it worth?

or

@Anyone with H4's with LED bulbs? If you put power to the dipped and main beam terminals at the same time, do all of the diodes light up?

I asked the question to a supplier of 3000k LEDs and he reckoned if you powered both terminals, only the main beam diodes would be lit. I was out in the Mk2 Golf in the dark and has forgotten how poor halogen H4s are on main beam without dipped as well.

@Anyone with H4's with LED bulbs? If you put power to the dipped and main beam terminals at the same time, do all of the diodes light up?

I asked the question to a supplier of 3000k LEDs and he reckoned if you powered both terminals, only the main beam diodes would be lit. I was out in the Mk2 Golf in the dark and has forgotten how poor halogen H4s are on main beam without dipped as well.
I have these new and unused that are going cheap (cost £40ish IIRC - recommended by @Grim Reaper )

Went the H7 route!

C5F9E4D1-B2BE-41DB-A398-B557F6C07C8A.jpeg

@Paynewright can you put power to the both terminals at once to see it dipped and main beam come on together please?

I don't want to buy those, as they are too white. I want a retro looking output for my retro car.

Pulling the headlight switch back to flash main beam cuts out the dip led chip and powers the 100,000 lumen main chip only on my H4 retina scorchers.
Back on main thread and don't know why people go this whole journey of discovery on such a regular basis but as a camper driver doing probably 6,000 miles a year and much of that in daylight, fitting admittedly expensive H4 led lamps gives a shitload of light to drive by compared to the poor old halogen H4 lamps and hasn't resulted in three failed main stealer MOTs thus far or being flashed by oncoming motorists suffering arc eye at my hands.
H7 headlights with halogen lamps are only better than H4 headlights with main and dipped running at the same time, dipped beam only and no better, fit Leds in the H7 headlight and you might as well have at least tried a decent led lamp in the H4 headlight.

@Paynewright can you put power to the both terminals at once to see it dipped and main beam come on together please?

I don't want to buy those, as they are too white. I want a retro looking output for my retro car.
Sorry, no. Not risking damaging them as I want to sell them.

TBH with LEDs you shouldn’t need both elements lit up!

Not to worry.

I hardly ever drive the Golf when I need headlights to see where I'm going, so a pretty pointless exercise really. As you'll see from my avatar, my van isn't lacking in the light department, it was driving the Golf the other night that got me thinking.

Been reading headlight threads all day !

Don't do much night time driving
Live in a town
Not interested in changing for the sake of better headlamps
Don’t want to spend a fortune as there are other things that I want to priortise

BUT….

I detest the yellow glow from my headlamps, sidelights and fog lights and I love the crisp white light from my LED DRLs. I also detest bulb warning errors. So…

What are the whitest H4 upgraded bulbs?
What LEDs do I need for the fog lights?
What LEDs do I need for the side lights?

Thanks in advance

I got my LED sidelights from Halfords of all places, they're still working 3 yrs later and are a crisp 4000 Kelvin colour temperature, basically daylight white with none of that blue tint beloved of "da yoof".
The H4 lamps are Novisight and were an eye watering £63 3 yrs ago, again they're still working but do require the additional plug and play resistor box to prevent the flickering caused by the lamp out test signal superimposed on the bulb supply.
Novisight are still around although slightly different looking from the earlier product but still have the rear cooling fan so headlight lamp access caps will need modifying to keep the headlamp shell weatherproof still.
Hurtling down the M6 Tuesday night in the dark with all that heavy rain spray was surreal with the LEDs making you feel like you were in a speedboat surrounded by white surf from the other boats rather than the usual stuck in a yellow snowdrift.

You’ll find a set of VW OEM H7’s on Ebay, if not this week next week, filter with ‘sold’ and you’ll see what the going price is.
They are as good a THQ lights which in my opinion need some work on the wiring loom before installing.
IMO don’t get into the aftermarket bulb stuff, if you can see where you are going with H7’s than they are doing the job.
There a legal issues with retrofit LED bulbs.
This discussion could go on for months:uh run:
for months, don't you mean years !!

Hi all , as a newbie I am a bit confused. I’ve bought a pair of H7 bulbs (as advised) for my 2017 t6 but they don’t fit.
The existing have 3 legs and the H7’s have 2 legs and narrower .
Am I missing something

Hi all , as a newbie I am a bit confused. I’ve bought a pair of H7 bulbs (as advised) for my 2017 t6 but they don’t fit.
Am I missing something
Sounds as though you might be trying to fit an H7 bulb into an H4 headlight?

Sounds as though you might be trying to fit an H7 bulb into an H4 headlight?

Am I missing something
Yes you are missing something, the H7 headlights, you could try the nightbreaker bulbs for H4 they are a big improvement over the standard bulbs.

Reactions: CAB
Back