H4 To H7 Upgrade

I thought H7s were one bulb but with two brightnesses, H4s were a dipped bulb and a main beam bulb. That's a vague memory though.
Most of my memories are vague these days...

Great work everyone.
It's funny how perception changes; I never had a flicker of doubt with my T5.1 Cali lights (other stuff wasn't so good..,!) but because of the massive fuss about LEDs and H4s, I've found myself being super critical of the T6 H7s; but they are fine, the upgrade to LEDs is far smaller but the same price (we already have LED tail lights, H7s are better than H4s), I just cannot stand the LED DRLs (they make a Discovery 4 look classy) and I'll be F'd if I'm spending more than a return ferry trip to Santander on making my van look like Blackpool illuminations when it's not dark.

H7s; the classy option. :whistle::cool::rofl:

I'm really pleased with my H7's even with only one lamp lit on full beam. I've really enjoyed the journey of research, ordering, doing and enjoying.
One day I may get a pro to have a look at the VCDS thing but with the risk of ballsing it up it won't be something I will rush.
I'm happy with things as they are and they can only get better.
Now to plan my next project.....

I totally get that the LED's are brilliant but quite frankly I find the H4's perfectly adequate. I have uprated my bulbs and from an aesthetic point of view the LED's make it look alot better now the yellow glow has gone. I dont live in the middle of nowhere but in Wales at night down tiny roads at no point did I think I really need to upgrade.

I totally get that the LED's are brilliant but quite frankly I find the H4's perfectly adequate. I have uprated my bulbs and from an aesthetic point of view the LED's make it look alot better now the yellow glow has gone. I dont live in the middle of nowhere but in Wales at night down tiny roads at no point did I think I really need to upgrade.

Interesting point. I also thought the h4's were ok UNTIL I drove after ten pm up north on the way to Gareloch. There are a lot of deer up there and I had no confidence in the lights. I had the bulb upgrade mod on my t5.1 which was excellent and really improved my view. I was overtaken by a transit on Monday night and he put hi full beam on when he was level with me, I couldn't even notice mine were on they were that bad.

Either a h7 change, wait for transporterhq led retro fit but I prefer OEM look, or see if @travelvolts headlight mod will be ok for a h4 unit?

I do eat alot of carrots so maybe thats helped. I have noticed an improvement after upgrading the bulbs. Im off to Cornwall next week so will be driving on alot of unlit roads so may change my mind ha

Afraid it was unsuccessful, I now have scans of a couple H7 equipped vans and had a quick play with @Ed Webb van at busfest, I tried coding the obvious bytes and it didn't work and was reluctant to go too far with it as we were sat in the dark and ed was about to head home that evening so I was feeling a bit twitchy

I think a bit more research is required and will revisit another time

Would it be as easy as take a link from the H7 High beam +12V terminal to the connection to the Low Beam. This would just need to be a Crimp to crimp piggy back connector so easily removable if required.

When the low beam is activated only it lights up as normal.

When the high beam is active, it cross feeds the low beam so both come on.
To prevent back feed back feeding etc. You could always stick a coouple of 12v Diodes in the circuit with a higher rated Amperage than the lighting circuit fuse. Say 10 amp.

Please admire my highly detailed circuit diagram bellow.... In real world it would be a very simple to do.

View attachment 13484

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Crimps could be replaced with something a little more solid, and the diodes housed in a little box. I think i'm talking myself into doing this.

It can be done with coding to perform as per factory we just need to figure it out
Looking at the diagram above (which is quality :thumbsup: ) in principal it would work but i suspect the BCM would have a fit if it sensed overcurrent on the high beam and undercurrent on the low beam

Those VCDS entries are incorrect, they have not been updated for T6s I have scanned dozens of vans and found
H4 = 71
H7 = ?69? (Need more to confirm)
LED = 73

so a H4 to H7 headlight upgrade is completely plug and play. Any issues, I thought I read something about the headlight main beams and something does/does not come on ?

H4 - dip beam goes out when main beam is active
H7 - dip beam stays on when main beam is active

Back