Carista Question After Upgrading to H7 Headlights

markcat7

Hi - I'm looking for some help after upgrading my headlights from H4 to H7's, please.

I've managed to use Carista Beta to enable the dipped and main beam lights to stay on at the same time (and boy oh boy, is this an improvement on the H4's! :) ).

What I am struggling with is how to disable the bulb warning light? I think is due to the DRLs (which are LED) because the warning light doesn't illuminate at night, when I assume the DRL automatically switches off and the headlight comes on?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: CAB
Hi - I'm looking for some help after upgrading my headlights from H4 to H7's, please.

I've managed to use Carista Beta to enable the dipped and main beam lights to stay on at the same time (and boy oh boy, is this an improvement on the H4's! :) ).

What I am struggling with is how to disable the bulb warning light? I think is due to the DRLs (which are LED) because the warning light doesn't illuminate at night, when I assume the DRL automatically switches off and the headlight comes on?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
I may be wrong (I often am) but I went the same path and I believe the bulb warning can only be switched off by VCDS. You can only reset it via Carista each time it flicks on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for that. I did have a set of LED DRLs in my H4 headlamp which didn't trigger the bulb warning light, so might try swapping and see what happens.
Thanks for the help.

The reason H4s don't come coded from the factory like that is when both elements in the bulb a lit, they will get very hot and most likely cause the bulb to pop.

You really need to change that back until you have H7 headlights fitted.

Back in the old days when I was using both filaments on my H4 surprisingly I haven't experienced any bulb failure.
Instead the bulb was generating excessive heat and eventually over long period of time causing heat damage to the shiny reflector surface.
This was resulting in permanent damage of the reflector element and causing the light output to be very poor.

Reactions: mmi
I had this trouble when I first fitted mine due to the phillips bulbs that were supplied in the package i bought from Deutscheparts unfortunately lit the fault light even though they were supposed to be fault free!! .What you need to do is use the twenty20 bulbs that a lot of people on here recommend.Bloody nightmare to change i had to take my headlights off again to do this but plugged them in before refitting and the bulb out light was gone problem solved no trouble since .

I think these are the ones I used

Last edited:
The reason H4s don't come coded from the factory like that is when both elements in the bulb a lit, they will get very hot and most likely cause the bulb to pop.

You really need to change that back until you have H7 headlights fitted.
Yes - I had H4's and have moved to H7's - hence need need to change the settings to allow both lights on at the same time. Sorry if that wasn't clear from original post.

Reactions: CAB
I had this trouble when I first fitted mine due to the phillips bulbs that were supplied in the package i bought from Deutscheparts unfortunately lit the fault light even though they were supposed to be fault free!! .What you need to do is use the twenty20 bulbs that a lot of people on here recommend.Bloody nightmare to change i had to take my headlights off again to do this but plugged them in before refitting and the bulb out light was gone problem solved no trouble since .

I think these are the ones I used

Thanks for this - I also got my headlamps from Deutscheparts, so no surprise I have the same issue as you. If they require another bonnet removal, I don't think I'll bother!

Thanks for this - I also got my headlamps from Deutscheparts, so no surprise I have the same issue as you. If they require another bonnet removal, I don't think I'll bother!
Yes that was my thoughts they sat on my shelf for about a month before I could be bothered to do it all again :rolleyes:,Bloody pain even with the headlight out they were hard work as they are a little bit longer and a bitch to twist into place. glad they are done though as they are so much better as a unit and look great with the LED Drls

Many thanks for the various replies and offers of help (Bigsidavies).

As I've got a bit more familiar with the customisation options in Carista Beta, I've noticed there is an option to use the fog lights as DRLs, instead of the LEDs (that are causing the bulb warning light). I've tried this and hey presto - no warning light and the fog lights do act as DRLs and also switch off when the headlights are on.

Before I get too excited, does anyone know if this solution is legal and would pass an MoT? It seems a very pragmatic solution, if it is!

There is an offence of 'misuse of front foglights'. I would think you could be in play for this offence.....

Back