H4 headlight upgrade.. but to what?

Hi Simon,

It's a real surprise that two companies offering retrofit of the H7 headlights don't know that the van needs to be coded for dipped and full beam to stay on together!

It's a really easy change to make in VCDS, just a tick in a box. I think it can even be done using Carista now, provided that you have the latest beta version. I don't use Carista, it's all VCDS here, but I'm sure someone will confirm it can be done with Carista now.

Cheers.
From reading on here it seems it can be done with Carista. I hope so anyway because I just ordered one to do mine. I'll find out tomorrow, though.

From reading on here it seems it can be done with Carista. I hope so anyway because I just ordered one to do mine. I'll find out tomorrow, though.
I have seen the menu for it on Carista so you should be all good, Im pretty sure THQ have a youtube video showing how do it on carista too

Yep, but you have to sign up for the Beta, easy to do when you have the app.

I paid a bit extra when I bought Transporter HQ V2 lights for a bit of wiring loom to put dipped and main beam on together, easy to do but if you've already got Carista or VCDS then I'd do it that way.

Hi All

Watching this post with interest and purchased a pair of H7's to replace my standard H4's, can I just clarify on the recoding bit to have both dip and main beam on at the same time, I have spoken to two companies that replace these and they have not heard of this, thanks in advance... Simon
I see you’re in Huddersfield. I’m in Meltham and have VCDS and can do this for you no problem.
Done a few before.

Hi Simon,

It's a real surprise that two companies offering retrofit of the H7 headlights don't know that the van needs to be coded for dipped and full beam to stay on together!

It's a really easy change to make in VCDS, just a tick in a box. I think it can even be done using Carista now, provided that you have the latest beta version. I don't use Carista, it's all VCDS here, but I'm sure someone will confirm it can be done with Carista now.

Cheers.
Many thanks for the advice, I think its that the two companies I spoke to take these off rather then put them on :)

Possibly not relevant anymore (newbie 1st Transporter), but decided to try the lowest cost/'legal' option and these possibly new bulbs:

aa62b554-989d-477b-bc75-1d25f56aa645.JPG

Not sure what the 200% relates to, but here's 1 bulb changed and 1 original H4:

IMG_8274.jpg

A definite improvement / whiter light, but probably only average-poor results, compared with the standard poor-very poor.

IMG_8272.jpg

Possibly not relevant anymore (newbie 1st Transporter), but decided to try the lowest cost/'legal' option and these possibly new bulbs:

View attachment 139065

Not sure what the 200% relates to, but here's 1 bulb changed and 1 original H4:

View attachment 139066

A definite improvement / whiter light, but probably only average-poor results, compared with the standard poor-very poor.

View attachment 139067
I used Philips 150, moved them from shocking to barely adequate in my opinion, but worth doing.

I can help with that.
it was 200% more expensive.
I used Philips 150, moved them from shocking to barely adequate in my opinion, but worth doing.
After reading this thread on all the H7 conversions soldering wires problems after lol spending loads more money on the van.... then find a simple fix on the vey last page

if i fit these H4 Osram or Philips Night breakers is it plug and play please as its a H4 for H4 swap

https://www.amazon.co.uk/generation-brightness-headlamp-64193NL-HCB-passenger/dp/B07FXKF1NT

@ ToddyTV looks like a big improvement in the pics

always the kindest regards Nick

After reading this thread on all the H7 conversions soldering wires problems after lol spending loads more money on the van.... then find a simple fix on the vey last page

if i fit these H4 Osram or Philips Night breakers is it plug and play please as its a H4 for H4 swap

https://www.amazon.co.uk/generation-brightness-headlamp-64193NL-HCB-passenger/dp/B07FXKF1NT

Yep have just done exactly the same in my H4's. The Osrams are better than what was in there......not GREAT, but better and acceptable in the short term anyway :thumbsup:

Reactions: CAB

Yes, straight swap.

But really, H7s are not such an issue, even I managed to fit them. Coding needed, but easy with Carista or find someone friendly through the forum. Big, big difference. :thumbsup:

Yes, straight swap.

But really, H7s are not such an issue, even I managed to fit them. Coding needed, but easy with Carista or find someone friendly through the forum. Big, big difference. :thumbsup:
Agree with @CAB
Will replace mine with H7's if/when I see a pair come up at the right price (again, will use the Osrams in them). Ultimately will be looking at the THQ V2 or V3's when funds allow.

As others have mentioned it's a 'straight swap', although a bit 'fiddly' and be careful not to touch the glass part of the bulbs (use latex gloves etc); worth the effort & relatively small cost. We will probably change the DRL bulbs too, with something a bit whiter/brighter, although may not make a difference to overall the performance/brightness (will post some pictures when done).
Noticeably better than standard H4 bulbs, but as soon as you drive another vehicle/car etc you realise that they are still average/below average.

As others have mentioned it's a 'straight swap', although a bit 'fiddly' and be careful not to touch the glass part of the bulbs (use latex gloves etc); worth the effort & relatively small cost. We will probably change the DRL bulbs too, with something a bit whiter/brighter, although may not make a difference to overall the performance/brightness (will post some pictures when done).
Noticeably better than standard H4 bulbs, but as soon as you drive another vehicle/car etc you realise that they are still average/below average.
Thanks everyone i ll give it a go 1st i just don't want to spend / waste any more on the Van... i got other expensive toys to buy... the thermal scope i want is over 4 grand......ouch

just brought all my 240 v and 12v sockets and switches to fit and making a folding Table the Halo still to finish i have a Crista and still to get my Van TV sorted but i want to go Fishing and hunting on my days off so it can all wait a bit longer lol

iv had loads of other new Vans over the years all had normal head lights...

Back